Unusual Mills mechanism

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
treefrog

Unusual Mills mechanism

Post by treefrog »

A Hi Top appeared on eBay today and before I hit the buy it now, I realised half of it was missing. But looking at the pictures closely, the mechanism star discs and reel stops I did not recognise as they are rounded, not angled. The mechanism look Mills from back, but not sure from the side. Anyone know the origin !PUZZLED!
Attachments
2FBA3B02-FC01-41CE-BB84-FF6AE8A104F5.jpeg
465ECD8A-DECC-4F08-B7C8-1472BC433533.jpeg
E1359D24-52B6-4C16-99CD-9BCDDB8262B0.jpeg
slotsoffun

Mills Black Beauty on eBay - Yeah My A***

Post by slotsoffun »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mills-Black- ... %7Ciid%3A1

What's it all coming to now... Find any old high top case, stick a name tag Mills Black Beauty on the front, find a rusty non complete mech and sling it inside. Cabinet has no base plate, no jackpot, no escalator, no back door.. shall I go on...
I'm sure someone will buy it.. Laughable... but made me smile tonight! :HaHa:
JC

Re: Mills Black Beauty on eBay - Yeah My A***

Post by JC »

Yes, this appears to be a collection of Hi-Top bits slung together, but what really caught my eye is the mech. - is that a Mills mech.? I don't think I've ever seen star wheels like those.....on any bandit, Mills or otherwise.
JC

Re: Unusual Mills mechanism

Post by JC »

This machine is the subject of another thread, * (now merged above - Site Admin.) and I see I've made a similar observation about the star wheels as you Tom.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Yes I noticed someone else had posted about the same machine after I had posted this and was intrigued by the mechanism. Thought BP might jump in, but maybe he is stumped too, so here is another challenge for the bandit fan, who knows who made the below mechanism I am restoring at the moment, again a slight variation on the reel stop method........ !!IDEA!!
Attachments
A5C9A5C2-0989-4D42-B119-186CD1D55049a.jpg
29E88FF4-969D-4D87-ACAE-81F0D2D88D97a.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

No response from me as I'm stumped.
Personally I'm astonished the first one is intact, I'd have expected the points to have shattered/sheared off. I guess the design indicates the reels don't spin very fast.

The second one reminds me of German approach to gently stopping a spinning part. I'd be interested to learn more.

BP :cool:
JC

Post by JC »

Yes, it is very reminiscent of the arrangement found in Wulf mechs. I note it utilises roll pins, which I find a little puzzling. As it is a 10 stop mech., I assume it would date to the 1920s or very early '30s........did we have roll pins back then?
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Very good, it is German, but not Gunther Wulff, but Merkur. Finally getting around to this machine, think I am going to leave it’s original distressed look as I like the look and get the mechanism smoothly running and tidy the cabinet......
Attachments
8E348153-635C-4760-B817-77257AFAB784a.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

That I like.
Is that a restart button on the front?
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

As is typical with the Germans engineering, unlike most bandit makers just using th reel rubbing and oil as a bearing, they had to add proper race bearings. Mostly this is similar to standard 3 reel bandits, but with a few variations. The skill stop parts lower down are missing, I think it is a bar that rests on reel one, probably could make something as I have a picture of a mechanism with one.
Attachments
AAEE5D6F-1FC2-4414-B1B1-831E48961B90a.jpg
slotsoffun

Post by slotsoffun »

I wonder if the seller will part with just the star wheel from that rusty Mills... I need a cog for my rear wheel on the old pushbike, and that cog looks perfect for my bicycle chain to fit!!!!!!! :lol:
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

That's exactly what I thought!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Well after a lot of work, replacement of some parts and some fettling, now have the Merkur running and playing well. Next question, should I fully restore or leave as is.......in the meantime I will move onto next projects 5 Jamieson’s electro wall machines two Electrodarts, two Rotopools and a Bingola......hate electrics

gameswat

Post by gameswat »

treefrog wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:27 pm Next question, should I fully restore or leave as is....
Tree, after years of debating this same issue many times I came to a simple answer, do nothing but leave and wait............. Either you'll decide in the long term you like it, or else it can always be dealt with in the future by you or a later owner. I prefer to re-do as little as possible and keep the patina, though this often takes longer than stripping and repainting etc. I love to have truly unique pieces, and the collectors I deal with fall over themselves to have that too - and happily pay up! When it comes down to it collectors are whack - paying sometimes hefty amounts of money to be the caretakers of these rare and unusual machines! I like to look at anything I restore as what might a future aficionado owner/collector think or want from the object? As I was saying above about leaving things when undecided, the same happens if I don't know how to solve any issue, I'll walk away and leave until the answer presents itself. Sometimes that's a day, sometimes months, sometimes many years. And I always try and do what the particular machine tells me to do, rather than just imposing my own fantasy ideas that will likely degrade the future interest for others.
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

Wise words Gameswat, that is virtually word for word what I would have put. This is my opinion, everyone must decide for themselves. But I like to buy them untouched if at all possible, and have seen many a machine ruined by over restoring (IMO) over the years that I have been collecting.
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

And I always try and do what the particular machine tells me to do
Gameswat,

I walked by AutoTalkie yesterday and heard some mysterious muttering. Placing my ear to the case, I distinctly heard, "I need help. Get Rory here, now!"

Just thought you'd like to know.

J Peterson
All Talk in Tennessee
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

JP - well I'm raring to go, and it's well known you prefer to move things yourself - so rent a plane and pilot your way here to pick me up please. Bag is packed with everything I'll need, screwdriver, hammer, diesel fuel, laccy bands and some ordinary household bleach. :smash:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

treefrog wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:27 pm Well after a lot of work, replacement of some parts and some fettling, now have the Merkur running and playing well. Next question, should I fully restore or leave as is.......in the meantime I will move onto next projects 5 Jamieson’s electro wall machines two Electrodarts, two Rotopools and a Bingola......hate electrics

If I were you TF, I'd get on with the Jamieson's without doubt.
And so you have room to do that you best sell me the Merkur.

BP :cool:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I think this particular machine would be better fully restored,it would look stunning, if you really wanted to annoy BP you could sell it to me :!?!: ....please
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Yes, I suspect I agree with all, which is the problem as I like old paint and some history, but know sometimes a machine needs a new paint job where pres bring an item demands, eg on these old alloy castings you get the terminal salt rot, where the metal terns to white powder and even can expand. This started happening on the Bolands Brooklands I did and needed to remove the paint to preserve and treat. Also where this was converted to 1D back in the day, the extra hole was made, which of course could be filled and coin entry returned to original position.

I think I will be taking Gameswat advise in the short term and give a light wax to preserve castings and clamp repair some of the base and then leave as it works...... below you will anther machine restored by the owner, although it was already shiny, can’t understand why they got rid of the lovely original reel strips :shock:
Attachments
61C00A3C-E025-4AEC-8369-FF53517E2703.jpeg