American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
malcymal

Re: What's missing from this picture?

Postby malcymal » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:54 am

You could try posting on a German site, using freetranslations.com I've used it for communicating with French, German and Spanish ebayers and is surprising how you get by, they sort of get the idea. Just use as many simple English words as you can when you use it.
I will try it for you. "Can you tell me what is missing from this picture?" = Können Sie mich was verpasst von diesem Bild erzählen“?
Reversing the translation German to English, it comes back "You can tell me what missed of this picture "? oh and say "Vielen Dank" thank you.

Good luck

Rotomole

Postby Rotomole » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:01 am

Yes - not too much help from Germany -

They do seem to have a fantastic machine also called a Rotofruit but as it's some kind of enormous tractor based harvesting device. I have decided not to ask them for help just yet.

stoxman22

Postby stoxman22 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:50 pm

Here we are!
I took some pictures of a working Rotolite last week, (thanks bits & bats), to help me re-wire the one I have in my collection. My first thought is they are a current overload but I have never seen a 3 wire version so don't bank on that. I won't be getting round to starting mine for a few weeks as I have another project ongoing. If I figure them out I will post it here, unless someone knows what they are here on the forum.

Stoxman
PICT3945 (Small).JPG

Rotomole

Postby Rotomole » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:14 pm

Thanks Stoxman,

That is a great help - good luck with your Rotolite and I'd love to hear how it goes.
Now I've seen them in situ I recognise them from the Electrodart post that Bell linked to in his reply above. Will have to have a good few days to ponder these, as that post seemed to hint at these being pretty unobtainable and not replaceable with a modern component. Not giving up though.

Becky.
Last edited by Rotomole on Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

operator bell

Postby operator bell » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:23 pm

I'm sitting here studying those things and somehow I don't think they're overload cutouts - I think they're oscillators, like old fashioned car flasher units. They click on and off to generate pulses for the steppers and payout circuits. That means we could make a modern electronic replacement with one chip and a relay. Heck, we could even make a "steampunk" version where the electronics are hidden by bakelite and brass, for purists. But in order to do that I would need a schematic.

stoxman22

Postby stoxman22 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:26 am

I like the idea of steppers. I may have to go back to the one I photographed and watch them while it is playing.

operator bell

Postby operator bell » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:35 pm

stoxman wrote:I may have to go back to the one I photographed and watch them while it is playing.
Would you? I think that's a wonderful idea. One may be for the payout solenoid and tick about 3-5 times a second, the other may either tick quite fast (10 a second) for the main stepper or else be a long timer for the game period.

The three contacts, from the top down, will most likely be (1) break contact, (2) common of contact and heater and (3) heater. I would expect (1) to switch a solenoid or relay coil, (2) probably goes to power supply common, maybe through a relay contact, and (3) will need some kind of ballast, like another relay coil in series, as applying 50V otherwise will give it a brilliant but extremely short life. If possible, could you take a meter along and find out the resistances of whatever is in series with each heater?

pogjones

Rotolite problem

Postby pogjones » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:54 pm

Hi Folks
I recently bought a Rotolite from the Central England auction in Coventry. The machine may be known to someone on this site. Anyway it worked for five minutes and now when switched on a couple of lights come on but nothing else happens. Does anyone have any ideas or is there maybe a wiring diagram in existence. Any help at all would be appreciated. :cry:

Slotalot's Roto Pool Wiring Diagram now in Resources - Site Admin.

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Rotolite problem

Postby badpenny » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:44 pm

Until someone who knows better comes along
I've never had one of these ............ but!

If the two lights that come on are the end result of the previous game, then I suggest the machine isn't recognising you've inserted a coin for a new game.
Being ever mindful that old English electro-mech machines often have screw driver melting voltage pulsating through their veins: -
Try manually flicking the micro switch that the coin hits after insertion.
Check the wire to and from the micro switch.
Look for any internal fitted fuses that are either blown or not a good contact.