Sega Clover Bell & Blackjack

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
dutchboy

Sega Clover Bell & Blackjack

Post by dutchboy »

I just scored a Sega Clover Bell today, just in time before leaving for a holiday. I never have seen one, except on the internet. Does someone know if these machines have no reel brakes so the reels keep rolling till they stop? When you push the gum button each time it will give a gumball. Do I miss a spring somewhere maybe? At first sight it’s not so easy to take the mechanism out, I think I have to take off the handle first. Another machine to explore, but first a nice holiday so it’s got to wait a couple of weeks.
For the people who also go to travel, enjoy it! !!BRRRMM!! !!PLANE!!
Attachments
sega-clover.jpg
9B510837-9227-4257-9A2C-17A3AE9063EEa.jpg
widget2k4

Re: Sega clover bell

Post by widget2k4 »

The reels are on a ratchet mechanism and will stop themselves randomly.
malcymal

Re: Sega Clover Bell

Post by malcymal »

I saw one of these at a jukebox fair in Brighton some time ago and it was priced at 175 quid and appeared to look very clean. I was quite taken by it. I seem to remember it being supplied with tokens marked Sega. An attractive piece and more in the look and feel of a bandit for display over the Mills/Sega Vest Pocket. Nice find, congrats! !!THUMBSX2!!
dutchboy

Re: Sega Clover Bell

Post by dutchboy »

Thanks for that! I can’t find much about it now, wondering if there was a cashbox from origin. When I’m back home I will take the mechanism out to explore it.
coppinpr

How rare is this Sega Blackjack

Post by coppinpr »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

I had an inquiry from someone on the www.penny-arcade.info site who has one of these Sega machines shown below. They are not slot people and want to sell the machine. My initial view is it's quite rare. Can anyone shed any light on its rough value so I can update them please?
Attachments
455px-Segablackjack_01.jpg
Last edited by coppinpr on Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
treefrog

Re: how rare is this machine

Post by treefrog »

Rare, well not common in this country and maybe due to the fact trade stimulators or gum ball machines were not the thing here. Not the prettiest of machines with its plain angular build and made by Sega. Was also badged under the Clover Bell label. One sold at the Elephant a while back for £240....

It looks like the picture you shared is the same flyer version below, perhaps they could have sent a real one ;-)

http://elephanthouseauctions.com/detail ... 784&type=A
Attachments
4D559929-CEA2-43CD-8A1C-790A309F5ED6.jpeg
4D559929-CEA2-43CD-8A1C-790A309F5ED6.jpeg (33.05 KiB) Viewed 5342 times
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

They didn't send any photo at all - I took it from my site. The machine is in Australia, by the way. :cool:
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I reckon made for US market and obviously not popular as they don’t come up... As they say, rare does not mean valuable. Blackjack obviously has some kind of selection buttons for the cards chosen.

It would be interesting to create a list of very rare slot machines that fetch little money, in this case I can understand why....
grains

Re: Sega Clover Bell & Blackjack

Post by grains »

dutchboy wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:24 pm I just scored a Sega Clover Bell today, just in time before leaving for a holiday. I never have seen one, except on the internet. Does someone know if these machines have no reel brakes so the reels keep rolling till they stop? When you push the gum button each time it will give a gumball. Do I miss a spring somewhere maybe? At first sight it’s not so easy to take the mechanism out, I think I have to take off the handle first. Another machine to explore, but first a nice holiday so it’s got to wait a couple of weeks.
For the people who also go to travel, enjoy it! !!BRRRMM!! !!PLANE!!
Hi dutchboy, I have just purchased a Sega Clover Bell and hope to get it working again.

Do you still have your machine and I wonder if you have any close up photo's of the mech out of the case please?
I think my mech is mostly complete but the reels are not firing when a coin is inserted and the arm is pulled down. I can hear a ratchet click but no movement.
The reels appear to spin freely when moved by hand and each reel has a ratchet arm which clicks as they rotate.
I will take some more photo's of the mech once it's removed.
Cheers grains
Attachments
wR2GCJfla.jpg
SyeEaXrla.jpg
dutchboy

Post by dutchboy »

Hi grains I don’t have the machine any more sadly. I only have the following picture and actually I can’t remember the way the reels get kicked. Hope the picture is useful to you.

grains

Post by grains »

Thank you dutchboy, The picture is really helpful for reference.
grains

Post by grains »

Good news! The mech is working correctly now with the reels firing and spinning as they should.
Would this trade stimulator have used tokens or coins originally? There's no indication other than the "COINS" text stamped on the front plate.
The slot and chute is large enough for 1d but they get stuck before the release and drop into the coin played side viewing window.
6ds are too small so it's currently working on Sega Continental Tokens, but if anyone has further information that would be appreciated.

Here are a few close up pictures of the mech outside of the case which may be useful for future reference.

Thanks and all the best to forum members for Christmas and the New Year.
Attachments
cFrTd5jl.jpg
tZ6n5uZl.jpg
uzaQxqil.jpg
kYj4Ij5l.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

It's hard to see this machine as a trade stimulator as in the original meaning. The trade stimulator period was dead and buried by 1949 and these Clovers come from era V of Sega's slot period so that's after the Sega hi-tops and Continentals, so late '70s and at the very end of their slot machine production. I THINK the only other machine of the same era is the Ascot shown below.

I can only imagine these were for tabletop gambling between groups of punters and the bar lent them out to the tables. They were defiantly not a success. I believe they were designed so the operator could change the chute to take whatever coin he decided on, hence the general description "COIN" on the entry. My guess is most ran on tokens which could be purchased at the bar so the table of punters could use the machine.
Attachments
455px-Segaascot_01.jpg
deano67

Sega Clover Bell

Post by deano67 »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Hi,
Sega Clover Bell on Ebay.
Anyone have a video or know if they pay out coins etc ? Also is the gumball mech a one coin in one gumball out affair like the Spark's type Trade Stims?
TIA.
grains

Post by grains »

I think they vend gum, rather than pay out coins which happens on a Mini Sega etc.
The last coin played can be viewed in a window at the side of the case before it drops into the cashbox.
cait001

Post by cait001 »

coppinpr wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:35 pm It's hard to see this machine as a trade stimulator as in the original meaning. The trade stimulator period was dead and buried by 1949 and these Clovers come from era V of Sega's slot period so that's after the Sega hi-tops and Continentals, so late '70s and at the very end of their slot machine production. I THINK the only other machine of the same era is the Ascot shown below.

I can only imagine these were for tabletop gambling between groups of punters and the bar lent them out to the tables. They were defiantly not a success. I believe they were designed so the operator could change the chute to take whatever coin he decided on, hence the general description "COIN" on the entry. My guess is most ran on tokens which could be purchased at the bar so the table of punters could use the machine.
I did a writeup on the 2 lives of Sega's Ascot: https://earlyarcadesjapan.blogspot.com/ ... -sega.html
Does anyone have any catalogs or price lists that mention Ascot?
Once again I'm banging my head against the wall due to the sheer paucity of scanned documentation of the 1960s UK industry. Oh how I'm desperate for all of your magazines to get scanned and shared for my research! !SMARTY!