Jennings bandits?

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
banditboy67

Jennings bandits?

Post by banditboy67 »

Seriously tempted with a Jennings now, anyone on here selling one?

BB
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Jennings

Post by pennymachines »

Just a polite reminder (in case you didn't read): Please read before posting in the Forum:
Please do not use the Forum to advertise items "Wanted" or "For Sale". Such postings will be deleted. If you wish to sell items on this site, please post them in the Auction & Market.

In future, please could you put wanted requests here: Market/Wanted

Thanks.
banditboy67

Post by banditboy67 »

Sorry... :woops:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

No problem! !!THUMBSX2!!
banditboy67

Post by banditboy67 »

Hi all.
Tried to list an ad but I get this???

This listing is currently disabled until you verify the email address used for the contact information. Only you (the author) can see the listing. A verification email has been sent to you.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Did you click on the verification email link to verify and pay?
banditboy67

Post by banditboy67 »

Didn't get one??
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Sorry about that - I'll look into it.
Meanwhile I've put your advert up here
banditboy67

Post by banditboy67 »

pennymachines wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:13 pm Sorry about that - I'll look into it.
Meanwhile I've put your advert up here
Nice one, thank you.. |/XX\|
Let me know when you want the £2.00. !THUMBS!
banditboy67

Jennings bandits?

Post by banditboy67 »

Topic merged - Site admin.

Until I got interested in buying a Jennings I never knew how many different ones they'd made over the years.... :!?!:
I like the Indian head type from the 60's.. Question is... Is there any I should avoid?

Are Governors better than Tic-Tac-Toe or are they the same inside? Are Club Chiefs available to buy nowadays or are they all snapped up buy collectors?
Thanks n advance for any advice.

Please check out my wanted ad in the marketplace.

John
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Jennings bandits?

Post by badpenny »

All of the Governors I've had have been Tic-Tac-Toe, so your question there is a bit confuddling.

Sometimes Victorias and Dutch Boys turn up, they however are from the 30s and beyond so predate the Club type models which I imagine are the ones that you lust after.

The Jennings Comet from the 60s era has been voted as one of the ugliest bandits of all time on this forum various times. Click here after first shielding your eyes

The cheapest Club type machine is The Galaxy, which is sometimes badged as Governor Mk 2 and was their last attempt at competing against The latest Bally products. Many Galaxies were purely mechanical and some were electrical with hopper pay outs, although I've never seen one.

Club Chief machines do pop up at times. My favourite is The China Front, I think it's stunning.

China Front.jpg

What's worth bearing in mind is the mechs are interchangeable (generally speaking) between Governors - Chiefs - Galaxies, so ……. you're paying more for the cabinet.

I currently have two Governors (one needing a total restoration for over 10 years now) a China Front and a Galaxy also needing restoration for many years. What I've learned about them is the chroming, it tends to be naff. If you search this site you'll read horror stories about attempting to re-chrome them. You may well come across a superb example that looks immaculate. Check carefully as many of us learnt that the cheapest and most permanent solution is to have the castings de-chromed and then highly polished. It gives a fantastic finish, and I for one haven't a problem unless it's being sold as an excellent chromed example. Also the most popular/costly ones do appear to be on 6d. Machines playing on two pulls for 1/- tend not to be so sought after.
So you learns the wrinkles, pays your money and takes your chance. The more you know the less the chance.

BP :cool:
banditboy67

Post by banditboy67 »

Hi,
Thanks' for the reply, you're right about that Jennings Comet.. :shock:

Probably a Governor I'd go for.... Hard to find or drop on before somebody beats you to them.. :-(
badpenny wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:09 pm All of the Governors I've had have been Tic-Tac-Toe, so your question there is a bit confuddling.
I've seen one for sale but it doesn't say Governor in the top left?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Top left? …… of what? !PUZZLED!
banditboy67

Post by banditboy67 »

Top of bandit top left it normally has Governor with those coloured stars, the one I’ve seen doesn’t have Governor at the stars and Tic Tac Toe on the right

Like this on here

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/17 ... achine-tic
Attachments
17554851_1_x.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

OK, you're referring to the top flash.
It is a Governor, I've seen those top flashes bearing "Princess" and all sorts of names, however if it's that shape has an Indian head sitting on a semi circular out crop with Jennings written underneath, then as they say "If it looks like a duck and quacks then it's a duck!

Incidentally that one is not 1940s, nearer 60s I'd guess
brigham

Post by brigham »

That's a 'home market' Jennings, probably for Nevada.
'The Governor' is the British market 'export' model.
Loads of these were re-furbished in Britain in time for decimalisation. They were on New Penny, and had a bland 'fairground' theme for artwork.
I remember seeing a row of them somewhere on the Yorkshire coast, at that time. Very impressive, in a decade where everything was gradually turning to Formica.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

There is also of course the MKII Governor, which I cannot find a picture of for now, but less bling than a Governor, but much cleaner looking than a Galaxy. I really like them, although not ones one and have lightup panels as standard, large ones....probably the rarest of the three.
banditboy67

Post by banditboy67 »

Thx for info guys, I now know why some say Governor and some don’t with them being modified imports.
Is the import ones less desirable?
Got my eye on one that’s been converted to new 10p.
This is an expensive purchase for a guy like me so I need to be sure and we’ll advised.

Thx.
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

A "converted to 10p" statement should always be investigated, as to what exactly they mean by that.
brigham

Post by brigham »

"Converted to 10p" means "Don't buy it unless you know what you are doing".