De-chrome and polish

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
pennywise

De-chrome and polish

Post by pennywise »

Hi fellow bandit nuts just wondering if anyone has sanded the chrome off the front of a bandit and polished it up. Mine is a bit dull and slightly pitted so thinking of doing this because to get it chromed again is going to cost a fortune, has anyone done this before and what were the results? !PUZZLED!
aristomatic

Re: De-chrome and polish

Post by aristomatic »

I have never tried to sand chrome off and repolish myself. Hopefully others have experience & can advise accordingly. I have sent plenty of castings off to the platers and let them do it for me.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Good luck sanding chrome off, it's the hardest substance I've ever tried to remove. Better to take it to a platers and get it chemically removed.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I would second that, unless the remaining chrome is very poorly bonded. By the time you have removed it with sandpaper you will have scratched the underlying surface, which is fine if you plan to paint; not so good if you want to polish. Various chrome stripping methods are described here, most too dangerous for home use. Probably easier to give it to the professionals if you can.
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

I do like the hard way better. I started to polish and to be honest the nickle started to come through straight away so with wet and dry think I will give it ago. Might even keep it nickel if it looks OK or if I balls it up - trusty paint job. |/XX\|
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Always more satisfying (and usually cheaper) if you can do it yourself. !!THUMBSX2!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

What machine is it?
BP :cool:
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

It's just a Sega Windsor, the one where I was having trouble with the slides. It's not that bad but I'm sure I can make it better than it is.
Attachments
20180828_191952a.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Your in luck with that particular machine. If it doesn't work out they can look great with a good paint job.
Attachments
buck as was.jpg
buckingham.jpg
finished 1aa.jpg
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

Got the same one pal but the chrome still looks well on this, but don't suppose you got any spare bits for it. I'm after all the micro switches to go back on the mech as they wasn't there when I bought it. Already had the body powder coated blue so if it doesn't polish blue it is. Nice job by the way.👍
Attachments
20180828_160843a.jpg
glittering-prize67

Post by glittering-prize67 »

I thought these were monkey metal so almost impossible to polish, and even if you do it will dull quick. Much nicer with a good paint job in my view.