Carfield one arm bandit

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
treefrog

Carfield one arm bandit

Post by treefrog »

Anyone seen one of these and know anything about them? I thought at first when I saw the picture that it was a toy, but it appears to be be a real machine.
Attachments
carfield.jpg
jonesthegarage

Re: Carfield

Post by jonesthegarage »

Decided to do some digging and see what I could find out about Carfield and apart from this push button conversion in the Arena

https://pennymachines.co.uk/arena/tennants-12-05-2007-1/

All I found was the above query from treefrog in 2009.

Well treefrog, all I can tell you is they are full size, here's a picture next to a Buckingham of mine.
carfield plus.jpg

And here's one of the front close up and one of the mech:
carfield.jpg

inside carfield.jpg

A google search has given me the following: Story of the ‘Nudge’

And it appears Carfield Engineers (possibly of Carfield near Sheffield) may have patented the first nudge feature, and it may be that the bandits were only produced for a short time before the advent of the push button fruit. That's my guess anyway, as the mech on mine is actually electro mechanical and instead of using fingers on payout uses light sensors. I am guessing that it is around same time as ACE machines.

E/M? Yorkshire? Is this not Slotalot territory?
treefrog

Re: Carfield one arm bandit

Post by treefrog »

Hey another Carfield....Would be interesting to see more of the mechanism and whether it is a copy of other standard machines like sega etc...

I wonder if the nudge machine is like the Carfield nudger on ebay now.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carfield-70s- ... 19e8473f5c
Attachments
carf.JPG
carf2.JPG
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Carfield machines were made by Dransfield Novelty Company in Leeds, West Yorkshire. Machine manufacturers and operators of small amusement arcades throughout Yorkshire in the late seventies and throughout the eighties and nineties . They came up with the 'nudge' idea and patented it. One of the biggest Club machine operators in the country and notorious for sending in their salesman to wine and dine the club committees and get the machine rental contract signed !
The reason for their rock solid contract was Dransfield would simply and cheaply upgrade their own machines with a glass change and proms ( they designed and made their own games) instead of buying in the more expensive Barcrest and JPM popular club fruit machines of the time that most of the club members wanted, but once the club was signed up they couldnt get out of it. Some of the Carfield brand games such as their club version TOP CAT or their arcade awp machines CHASE 5 , BOWS AND BELLS, WILD SPIN were great games but hard to find (or keep going) nowadays as early electronics replaced relays in the late seventies
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Carfield

Post by pennymachines »

Jonesthegarage wrote:A google search has given me the following: Story of the ‘Nudge’
I saved a screen grab of this in case it disappears.
Attachments
carfields.jpg
chriswe3

Carfield One Arm Bandit

Post by chriswe3 »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Hello there, apologies if this isn't the right place I post admin..

We are looking to sell our Carfield One Arm Bandit, it's a Super Crown Star model. It's worked for us in the past (with 6ds) but would need an electrician to have a look as it currently shorts when plugged in. Should be a simple job.

Comes with original keys and change box. Anyway thought if post it up here in case anyone was interested.
Link here:

http://bit.ly/MGAMnm
Attachments
carfield.jpg
jonesthegarage

Re: Carfield One Arm Bandit

Post by jonesthegarage »

Welcome,

No this isn't the right place to list it, there is a "Marketplace" which is free but you will need to register I think. Mr. Penny Machines will advise/help

It would also be useful if you could let us know where the machine is located.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

As JG says, we only allow sales through our market place, which is free to use. It will be worth a little of your time to place it there for I think it will sell. You can either offer it at a fixed price or put it in the auction section and see what it will go to.
Make sure to adjust your photo, add other photos, especially of the inside, list where it is in the UK. I might have a bid myself. :cool:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Actually, the User Agreement forbids direct trading via the Forum but, as this item is listed on Ebay (click link above), I have no objection to the vendor advertising the fact here.

If ebay decide in their wisdom to remove it (not unlikely), Chris can list it in the Market or Auction here, as suggested, by creating an Auction/Market account.
jonesthegarage

Post by jonesthegarage »

Ebay police already active and removed it, as with several others that appeared yesterday and promptly "left the building"
jonesthegarage

Post by jonesthegarage »

Inspired by Widget's Columbia with the reversing payout mech and just having got this Carfield back from Mr. Slotalot's fixing shed I thought I'd share the Carfield in operation - note the reversing reels.

glittering-prize67

Post by glittering-prize67 »

treefrog wrote:I wonder if the nudge machine is like the Carfield nudger on ebay now.....
I had that very machine when I was 15. The club nudger, although it had 3 reels so not a club machine. It would nudge any reel down one symbol. It used a torch bulb to shine through holes in the reels for higher payouts. It had a sensor on the opposite side. I was going to bid on the machine a few weeks ago but it seemed like it was being bid up - loads of bids from the same bidder in 2 or 3 pound increments. That put me off. It was a hopper payout and mine was on old 5p. Carfield did patent the nudge - must have made a fortune. I did not realize they made table top bandits, but I would put Carfield up with Bellfruit - very nice and very well made machines.

Nice machine, I love Carfield, sentimental value and that can't be replaced. If that's ever for sale I might be tempted. The club nudger I owned had a crown on the centre reel paying 5p. I noticed crowns all over the front glass on yours - I thought the crown was Aristocrat.
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

glittering-prize67 wrote:Carfield did patent the nudge - must have made a fortune.
What's surprising is that they bothered to carry on making machines after getting that patent! I'd have purchased a private island in the Caribbean and retired there with several dozen attractive young women and a rum distillery.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

In my experience the age of the women and their attractiveness would become redundant due to the rum distillery. :-(
brianh

Post by brianh »

Saw this one on eBay which looks similar to the Carfield in this thread. Not had a bandit before so know less than nothing about them - would this be worth a punt for starters if I can get it for a sensible price or does anyone know if any probs with this make I should look for?
Attachments
crown.jpg
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

I dont think this is a good starter machine as there is electric involved in its operation.

Its also a bit boring IMO as it will pay maximum coin of 2 on payout (1 shilling = 2 * 6d coins).

Its certainly different yes, but an Aristocrat or jubilee would be far better first machine for fettling (safer too).
radiochrissie

Post by radiochrissie »

I echo Malcymal , it’s also rusty, looks like it’s been in a damp cellar for years.
brianh

Post by brianh »

OK - thanks guys, just that I'd sold 3 of my Allwins and fancied a change but whilst I'm OK with a hammer and a screwdriver, :smash: electrics and me don't go together :shock: so will take your advice and give this one a miss and maybe see what Coventry have to offer next month. !!THUMBSX2!!
brigham

Post by brigham »

Look how good the artwork is.
Also, no half-baked decimal conversion.
An interesting, unorthodox machine.
Can't find it on eBay, though.
brianh

Post by brianh »

Hi brigham - try this link. Comes under "Crown One Armed Bandit"

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292761509598 ... noapp=true