Where have all the slots gone?

Tell us a bit about yourself.
bryansjim

Where have all the slots gone?

Post by bryansjim »

I haven't bought a slot for several years are collectors holding on to them as there doesn't seem to be much on eBay these days. I'm thinking about paying a visit to the EH even though it's against my better judgement. !PUZZLED!
It's been 10 years since I logged on - where does time go? 😀
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Where have all the slots gone?

Post by badpenny »

How long since you logged onto the Coventry Auction?

Here

BP :cool:
brigham

Post by brigham »

If the OP is using 'slots' in the American sense, then there isn't a single one listed at the Coventry Auction so far!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Normally at this stage we don't have any machines of any description, shape or size listed.
We depend upon you collectors to take advantage of the auction by putting in as well as taking out.

The submission form is available on line as announced on the Coventry Auction thread.
BP :byee:
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

IMO they've all gone from Ebay as somebody constantly reports the auction to ebay and gets them taken off for reasons we can all speculate about.

The ones that are on Ebay with a permit are ridiculously over priced or dubious in their originality.
brianh

Post by brianh »

Coincidentally just "won" an eBay bandit and within 5 minutes of it ending eBay pulled off all details of it and commented:

"We had to remove this listing from the site and you're not required to complete the transaction. If you've already sent payment, the sale should process as normal and you don't have anything to worry about. If you have any questions about delivery, please check tracking or contact your seller. If you run into any trouble along the way eBay is here to help. Please visit the Resolution Centre to help resolve any problems you may encounter."

Interesting that they would allow sale to continue if I had managed to pay before they pulled it?? Anyway, was expecting possible problem so had saved seller in advance under another item they had listed so able to keep in touch. Moral of this is that if you are interested in an item that doesn't show a permit, save the seller's details separately so you can still make contact if the item vanishes.
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Seller probably delighted if you proceed as eBay likely cancel his final value fees.
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Well there was a nice little Bally appeared yesterday before my eyes on ebay search that needed an easy fix and was only £150 buy it now or best offer and I was tempted as they offered courier. Went back on five minutes later and gone; snapped up quick or reported. I honestly believe that somebody is attempting to corner a market by reporting people. Obviously the point is, buy a permit, but most people who have a machine kicking about the house, garage, shed who just want to make some pennies for xmas, holiday dont know this.
aristomatic

Re: Where have all the old slots gone?

Post by aristomatic »

Old Blokes Picked Them, Everyone
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Where have all the old slots gone?

Post by pennymachines »

When will they ever learn?
When will they ever learn? !!VIOLIN!!
bryansjim

Post by bryansjim »

Never been to the Coventry auction, wife's away so I've the perfect excuse.
😀
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Although I don’t wish ill health on anyone, but it is always good for collectors when one of our colleagues passes on or has a change in interest and moves on to collecting bubblegum cards as that is when we get the chance to buy machines you rarely get to see. Seems to happen every few years, sometimes multiple times in a year......maybe a large collection will come up in 2019 :tarah:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

What is it you know TF that the rest of us don't? More importantly does it concern me?

BP !OMFG!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I probably wrote the above badly after re-reading it, no it was not meant as in me, I was generalising. :cool:
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

I shan't be standing next to you at the next auction, you might slip something in my tea!! :lol:
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

I remember seeing a letter in the media once from some senior citizen who stated "I really love Clint Eastwood and all his films, if he passes away soon we will get to see all his films repeated on television."
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Like the pastor who was greeting his parishioners after the service and was talking to one woman who was gushing about how marvelous his sermons were.
"I'm thinking about having them published posthumously," he said.
"Oh wonderful," she replied, "the sooner, the better."

J Peterson
English is our second language here in America
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Careful what you wish for Tom, we all know who has more machines than anyone, and there are people who will do anything to get hold of certain machines... don't give people ideas. :lol:
brianh

Post by brianh »

Just a word of caution for anyone thinking of applying for a single machine permit from the Gambling Commission so that eBay will allow them to list an Allwin - don't hold your breath! I applied in September and, several emails and phone calls later, am still waiting. Latest is it's awaiting sign-off dirtdog . As usual Covid 19 gets the blame though I fail to see how a Gov. Dept. that is presumably purely non public-facing can't operate fully from home. Can't wait for the EH and Coventry auctions to return in whatever form is allowed post Covid (bit of action on the EH site recently so will keep an eye |/XX\|) so that we no longer need eBay
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Brian, why bother with an Allwin, not much point....

I see the elephant house site is being updated at the moment, maybe some news will come out once back online. Also maybe there would be appetite for an early Coventry auction in March, if the suggested rollout of the Covid jabs goes to plan