Sweetmeat & Nestlé's vendors

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Sweetmeat & Nestlé's vendors

Post by pennymachines »

£360 + 10%
ilovemyjukebox

Post by ilovemyjukebox »

Thank you..
alan57

Nestles 1d chocolate vendor

Post by alan57 »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Just acquired this machine, it's a Nestles 1d chocolate vendor made around 1930s.
Possibly made of cast iron (but not sure).
The vendor had not opened for about 60 years, because when finally opened by a locksmith, very old 1d Nestles chocolate bars and 3 old pennies were inside.
Has anyone on the forum ever refurbished one of these machines, as I was looking for some advice on the type of primer and paint to use on cast iron?
Attachments
s-l1600-3a.jpg
s-l1600-1a.jpg
s-l1600-11a.jpg
IMG_2808a.jpg
treefrog

Re: Nestles 1d chocolate vendor

Post by treefrog »

Alan, what a lovely find and especially with original bars still inside, if not a little out of date.....

Magnet test will confirm, but these are aluminium alloy metal I believe. Not much of the original paint to save, but I would use an aluminium type primer to stop the white salt rot and enamel paint over coat. Most I have seen with original paint look more like a satin or matt finish, although this may of course be due to dulling down, but imo looks better.

Nice one !!THUMBSX2!!
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Think this was on eBay recently and didn't sell?

Hopefully you both got a great deal off eBay.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

There was a different one below, that I think did not sell earlier in the month and only seen one other earlier this year local to me... Best compact vendor by far... Of course I am biased. :woops:
Attachments
B70020C1-DB4D-4565-B949-30CC2E8416F4a.jpg
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

I remember the packets as I emailed a vendmaester friend when it first came on.

Anyway off to the football....!
alan57

Post by alan57 »

Thanks for the information Tom. Will look into sorting out the right primer for aluminium.
After decades of insect attack, there wasn't much left of the chocolate wrappers. This morning I made a start on a new template on Photoshop for some dummy wrappers.
Attachments
Nestles .jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Nice find. They were made by Brecknell Munro & Rogers of Bristol. Nestle's Animal bars still fit perfectly, but you have to get the foil-wrap, not the 'shrink-wrap'. I think they're 25p each from my local corner shop, but quite a bit cheaper in bulk from discount suppliers.
I've uploaded a couple more period Nestle Chocolate Wrappers to Resources. I still have the original wrapper and Photoshop files if required.
Attachments
NChocs.jpg
alan57

Post by alan57 »

Many thanks PM for the information !THUMBS!
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Nest ... 7675.l2557

Above is original eBay listing for the machine.

As I said earlier in the thread it didn't sell at £750, I remember as i was in dialogue with seller when midway thru the listing he had locksmith get the lock open and he messaged me to say he had added pictures of the original wrappers contained inside. He had another old vendor too, not listed. I think it's a cig vendor? I think the seller was very surprised he didn't get a bid @750.

He messaged me after saying they were going to think things over, because of zero bids. Hopefully you both got a deal that you were both happy with.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I suspect Neil you were trying to get it for less than £750. You should have grabbed a bargain, unless it got pulled due to lack of bids. I would have (except I have no money).

Good luck Alan with the restoration. Nice to see original packaging. I bought some original sample bars for mine, although only three of them, that must have wood blocks inside. I was going to make more up to fill up a bit as buying chocolate would either make me even fatter or they would end up like the ones you have.
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

No TF, the listing wasn't pulled early by the seller. Listed for 5 days and received no bids.

When listed I inquired whether the seller had a buy-it-now price. He replied he had had a few offers and what was I offering? I didn't offer on either his Nestle or cig vendor. I like them but maybe not as much as others? I prefer to collect more modern vendors. In addition if I'm buying for myself, now more interested in machines with original paint.

I was more interested in another that was for sale from a different source, as it had more original paint than the eBay listed item. Still a lot missing mind, but I would have just lightly rubbed it down and applied a couple of coats of wax to keep the condition as is. In the end I passed on that one, so a collector friend of mine could buy it without competition from me, as he'd done the same for me only recently.

NB: I'm certainly not saying that the OP shouldn't restore and paint his machine either.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Just spotted this Sweetmeats vendor (together with another very early vendor behind it) sited at Victoria Station circa 1920s: https://rbkclocalstudies.wordpress.com/tag/f-h-warren/
Attachments
display-at-victoria.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

What were you doing back in the 1920s?
BP :roll:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

That must have been an airtight "Derry & Toms" display case, otherwise the soot and coal smoke of the "great days of steam" would have made a mockery of that display of mostly fabric items. SkEpTiCaL
alan57

Post by alan57 »

Great picture PM, just wondering if there are any vintage pictures of the Nestles 1d chocolate vendor in a railway station/ shop front?

Recently acquired a Nestles 1d chocolate wrapper, the wrapper dates from 1932, on the back of the wrapper is the closing date of a competition 30th June 1932 !!.

There is even a picture card inside the wrapper that you would collect for the competition.

Considering the wrapper is 86 years old, it still looks in very good condition.
Attachments
s-l400-3.jpg
s-l400-3.jpg (14.97 KiB) Viewed 6164 times
s-l400-2.jpg
s-l400-2.jpg (16.53 KiB) Viewed 6164 times
s-l400-1.jpg
s-l400-1.jpg (20.49 KiB) Viewed 6164 times
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

southport 1928012.jpg

I have this picture of a Nestles vendor, which I thought you might like to see.
alan57

Post by alan57 »

Thanks Simon
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

2 photos of a not very interesting Mackintosh's Toffee vendor for most people ,but interesting to me, I worked in this shop in Tooting for a staggering 50 years (1965-2015) . The photo is dated 1929, the older man standing by the shops dog in photo 2 is my grandfather,the other man is my fathers eldest brother :lol:
old shop1.jpg

old shop2.jpg