Wonders Hit-N-Run restore

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
ralph

Wonders Hit-N-Run restore

Post by ralph »

Copied from Hi from West Australia Site Admin.

...my latest find was saved from a skip bin by a friend - a Wonders Hit-N-Run. I am working on it atm and need tips with the restoration work. I will make a new post with some pics and a few questions. The Pics I show are of the game removed from the larger plywood cabinet, in case anyone was wondering.
Attachments
DSCF2201.1a.jpg
Wonders%201964.jpg
DSCF2196a.jpg
DSCF2200a.jpg
gameswat

Re: Wonders Hit-N-Run restore

Post by gameswat »

Hey Ralph, I'm in Perth but sold the last Wonders allwin over a decade ago so can't help you with looking at another original sadly, which of course is the best way to go with jobs like this. I have a few other allwins awaiting restoration and various parts though again nothing Wonders. What is actually missing?
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Part of the payout ratchet system at the lower part of the vertical payout arm is missing and the ball trip lever appears to be stuck in the down position. These photos may be of help.
Attachments
wonders-hit-n-run-mech-003a.jpg
wonders-hit-n-run-mech-001a.jpg
wonders-hit-n-run-mech-002.ajpg.jpg
ralph

Post by ralph »

13rebel wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:26 pm Part of the payout ratchet system at the lower part of the vertical payout arm is missing and the ball trip lever appears to be stuck in the down position. These photos may be of help.
Yes that's the part that is missing, the small ratcheting lever. I have a fitter machinist friend that can make the part. Thanks for the great photo's btw.

espacenetImage.jpg

As far as I can see, the Ball trip lever is free and looks to be correct.
I do have a few questions:

1. I'm not sure how many balls should be in the game. It only came with one. I think it could be more, like 3? or possibly 4?

DSCF2202a.jpg

2. The game has no cash box. It looks like at the moment the coins will just fill up tube and then overflow straight into the payout tray (mine is the larger plywood cabinet). I might have to ask for another pic of how the coins would be kept inside.

I'm putting a new piece of acetate into the game and new cards etc., when I get it back together. I will have more of an idea about retaining the coins inside the machine. I'm having some new payout cards printed for it.

The game has been converted to the new 1P at some stage and payout cards altered to make the payouts 3,6,9 and 12, instead of 2,4,6,and 8. The old payout slide is still the large penny type, so my plan is to convert it to take the Aussie $1 coins, as they are close enough in thickness so I can use the correct payouts of 2,4,6 and 8.
Thanks for all the welcome too, I will post some pics when it's back together.
Cheers all
Ralph
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Mine has 5 balls but would think that 4 will work too.
brigham

Post by brigham »

Are pennies hard to find in Australia?
We seem to have a vast supply of them here, sometimes in unissued packing.
I had an Aussie one once, in the '60s, and I meant to keep it. It accidentally went into a Crompton's 'Cover the Spot', and I asked the keyman if he could retrieve it for me. He helpfully suggested that I 'win it back', but of course it had gone into a 'lost' tube.
I seem to remember it had a kangaroo on it. Would that be right?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

brigham wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:03 am I seem to remember it had a kangaroo on it. Would that be right?
I seem to remember they were quite common in the 60s along with those from Sart Efrrica.
You're right they had a kangaroo on the obverse of the coin, because if it had been a boomerang you'd have got it back.

BP :NBG:
brigham

Post by brigham »

badpenny wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:58 am You're right they had a kangaroo on the obverse of the coin, because if it had been a boomerang you'd have got it back.

BP :NBG:
That's what's good about this Forum!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Aupennies-1.jpg

13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

.......The dimensions are the same as the British old 1d penny.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

In fact while the diameter is the same the Aussie Pennies have a slightly thicker rim edge, about .20 mm thicker on average, which will cause jamming issues with higher payouts than a single coin. Not an issue with most single coin return Allwins of course, but usually I have to shim the slide bodies on any British import machines giving two returns. And on the bigger payouts it means making a new set of thicker slides as well. Funnily enough nearly all the Allwins I've purchased the last 20 years in the USA were missing payouts anyway so has usually worked to my advantage. The mechs were very often wholesale removed due to the strict US gaming laws when they were imported on mass in the 1970s. Recently on the prototype Essex Horse Racer I restored the payout slides couldn't be converted without re-engineering a huge amount of the mechanism, which would have cost a small fortune for the owner and ruined the machine. So I had to leave it be and the machine can only ever run on British Pennies, otherwise the machine will quickly jam and bend components.

Any Aussie Pennies that have been dropped will have an even thicker burr so when I buy them bulk for copper scrap values I need to check them all. There are still millions out there as people hung on to them when we changed in Feb 1966.
brigham

Post by brigham »

If I ever get an Aussie bandit still on pennies, I'll have to import some.
Your 'tanners' are insanely expensive over here. I gather you kept a high silver content right to the end.
bob

Post by bob »

Australian "Tanners" might be expensive as they did have a silver content right to the end but the sixpenny coin was replaced by the 5 cent coin which is still in use to this day. It is regularly minted and is exactly the same size and thickness as the sixpenny coin but does not contain any silver.
Both the Australian sixpence and five cent coin are the same size as the American one cent coin. Thus both an Australian 5 cent coin and six pence would work an American poker/slot machine designed to work on an US one cent coin and a US one cent coin would work an Australian poker machine designed to work on a sixpenny coin.
So instead of expensive silver content Australian tanners perhaps Brigham could use Australian 5 cent coins or the even cheaper American one cent coins.
ddstoys

Post by ddstoys »

New Zealand 1d coins are the same sizes as the Aussie 1d coins. I picked up a stack when I visited NZ last year.
ralph

Post by ralph »

brigham wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:03 am Are pennies hard to find in Australia?
No I just ordered a 3kg bulk lot of them. I had a few dozen already, but not enough really seeing it might take more than that to hit the jackpot.
I will convert it all back to use pennies now, after reading all the replies, plus I was wrong about the thickness of our $1 coins. They are thicker and my mad plan wouldn't work.

Thicknesses old pennies vs new $1 coins
Thicknesses old pennies vs new $1 coins

New and Old
New and Old

I would need both a payout slide and coin tube plus housing to suit.
All I need to make to convert it back to pennies will be new coin tube and tube housing.

Packers/ Spacers
Packers/ Spacers

These are the packers that were put in the Aluminium cast coin entry. Game was converted to take the New 1Pence coins.
Anyhow game coming along nice, new acetate cut and installed, the old piece was cracked/torn off near the nail holes and it was warped. I gently cleaned the art too, didn't go too far.

Old Acetate
Old Acetate

New Acetate
New Acetate

I did find an English half penny, the tiny ones from 1970 on, after I'd taken the cover and artwork off. Not sure where it fell out from though. I wonder if it's what had made the machine not work?
As far as I know the game never worked correctly, but it only had one ball in it. It needs 4 at least, I was told, so I bought 10 new ones.

Shiny new Balls + ball that was in the game
Shiny new Balls + ball that was in the game

I had a bit of a test run with the game using the new balls - it looks like it should all work, touch wood. Very clever the way it all works, still getting my head around it.
All the metal has been polished up; waiting for new payout cards and decals, so the machine is not fully back together. The Cabinet ply still needs to be re-glued in a few more places. More pics will follow as I get her back to life again ...
Attachments
1P coin tube and housing, Aussie pennies
1P coin tube and housing, Aussie pennies
Coin Entry Plate
Coin Entry Plate
ralph

Post by ralph »

brigham wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:17 am
If I ever get an Aussie bandit still on pennies, I'll have to import some.
Your 'tanners' are insanely expensive over here. I gather you kept a high silver content right to the end.
92.5% silver from 1910 till 1945 then 50% silver through till 1965. We went decimal in 1966.
I bought a 100 early ones not long ago, 3d's for a machine I have, and they were about twice the cost as the 50% silver later made coins.
I heard during the 1960s silver boom our silver coins were being smuggled out of the country because of the high value, worth more in silver than the price of the coin.
ralph

Post by ralph »

gameswat wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:21 am Hey Ralph, I'm in Perth but sold the last Wonders allwin over a decade ago so can't help you with looking at another original sadly, which of course is the best way to go with jobs like this. I have a few other allwins awaiting restoration and various parts though again nothing Wonders. What is actually missing?
Hi gameswat ,
The really only part that I can't find or manufacture is the nice cast 1D coin entry plate Wonders used on some Wonders games, by the looks of it.

Wonders 1D Coin entry plate/slot
Wonders 1D Coin entry plate/slot
wonder-pools-525x700.jpg (30.56 KiB) Viewed 5233 times

Wondering if you know where or if one can be sourced? It would look the part with the correct one fitted.

The other parts it needs are a payout tube and housing, to suit old pennies, but I could get these made if need be. You can see it's had another tube and housing fitted in the past to suit new 1p coins.

New 1P coin tube and plastics housing
New 1P coin tube and plastics housing

Cheers |/XX\|
brigham

Post by brigham »

The existing penny badge could be 'de-decimalized' quite easily, until the right one could be found.
ralph

Post by ralph »

brigham wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:13 pm The existing penny badge could be 'de-decimalized' quite easily, until the right one could be found.
Was thinking of doing away with it altogether if I can get the cast one, but good idea about changing it back.
I could get a decal made for the time being.

Wonders coin slot / entry plate
Wonders coin slot / entry plate
wonder-pools-525x700.jpg (30.56 KiB) Viewed 5220 times

added 1p badge and coin plate , at some stage
added 1p badge and coin plate , at some stage

In the meantime I will file out the existing coin insert to take the large old pennies.
The 1p plate looks likes its been trimmed up to suit the cabinet width , so it would be nice to just have the cast coin entrance part.
alan57

Post by alan57 »

I made a few Wonders coin slots a few years ago out of Prince August metal, I think I may still some somewhere.