Sweetmeat & Nestlé's vendors

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
sweetmeats

Re: Sweetmeat & Nestlé's vendors

Post by sweetmeats »

In answer to Alan's question as to picture of Nestle aluminium wall machine, I have never seen one. However with regards to the competition, I illustrate details of the prizes offered for a completed album of 156 cards. Given that exchanges required 6 to 1 with a maximum of 4 for 24 on each request a small boy would have to eat an amount of chocolate equal to a large percentage of their own bodyweight!
Attachments
auction item 420181116_18345927.jpg
auction item 420181116_18312705.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Interesting prizes
1st prize 40 junior cycles (I'd have been happy with just 1)
2nd Prize 30 fairy cycles not much different from first prize, but enough said about "fairy cycles" in the '30s)
3rd Prize gold watches (it doesn't say rolled gold or plated so I'd sue today if it wasn't solid gold when it arrived)
4th prize Dean's unbreakable dolls (want a bet! trades descriptions office beware)
5th prize penknives (see that happening today)

and not a PS2 (including an action game where you can actually see the guts of the enemy spilling out when you blow them up) to be seen.
I'll settle for a pedal car or perhaps a yacht (as long as it sleeps 6). !THUMBS!
alan57

Post by alan57 »

Thanks for the information sweetmeats !!THUMBSX2!! , I guess the Nestle's aluminium venders where less popular than the Nestle's cast iron varieties on railway stations, that why there isn't any pictures of the aluminium one's !PUZZLED!
sweetmeats

Post by sweetmeats »

I think the main reason for not finding postcards showing 1930s vendors is that there were many more postcards generally before 1918 than after. I have about 200 showing machines - none after about 1918 and most pre-first world war.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

An interesting point about postcards Sweetmeats. I think it's not so much there were more postcards pre WW1 (in fact the real boom in seaside post cards starts in the early '20s), it's more the change in the type of postcard. The early high street photographer took photos of pretty much everything, mounted them up as postcards and either sold them themselves or sold batches of them to the venues (stations, tea rooms, pubs, even ordinary shops) and people would buy them as both mementos and to emphasise there conversations, "see this pub, we went there every night, it was great", for example. Post WW1 cheap home use cameras start to appear and the need and desirability of that type of postcard quickly disappears as people actually want the same photos but take them themselves.

The general view seaside postcard on the other hand served a different purpose. The predecessor of the seaside postcard was "crested china" (something I know quite a lot about) which was all about bragging, either kept on show at home or given as a holiday gift it said, "this is where we have been". Still at its height in 1919 (it's estimated 1 in 5 homes in the UK had a least one piece) its decline and collapse in about 1929 is directly linked to the rise in seaside postcard sales which,of course, did the same job only cheaper and you could send it while still living it up on holiday, thus rubbing it in a little harder :lol:
Attachments
Old Bill - famous cartoon figure from WW1
Old Bill - famous cartoon figure from WW1
ink.jpg (9.11 KiB) Viewed 6262 times
How ink was made - from a less enlightened age
How ink was made - from a less enlightened age
old bill.jpg (7.84 KiB) Viewed 6262 times
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I've yet to find an image (photo or postcard) showing the so-called Penny Red Nestle cast aluminium chocolate vendor located on a station platform. Doesn't mean they weren't, but they seem to have been designed more for outside shops etc. The cast iron ones, on the other hand, were an essential rail-side facility. Here are a few more historic images:
Triple Nestle vendor, 1920s, Flinders St. Station, Australia
Platform 1, Flinders St. Station, Australia
Platform, Flinders St. Station, Australia
Spenser St. Station down ramp to subway, Australia
Fruit, Sweetmeat and double Nestle vendors, Paddington station
Double Nestle and Sweetmeats/Matches/Cigarettes vendors at Hatch End station, 1937
Scales, Working Model Stephenson's Rocket, and Sweetmeats vendor at Barrow Station, Cumbria, 1930.
Further down the same platform, large unidentified cast metal vending machine and BAC metal stamper
and from https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/ "six-wheel coach body used as a passenger waiting room on Bidford on Avon station's platform", with disused Nestle vendor:

smjboa2b.jpg

Also this page featuring the Penny Red from Sweet Memories : A Nostalgic Trip Down Confectionery Lane
Attachments
Opie.jpg
ilovemyjukebox

Post by ilovemyjukebox »

I've seen that picture of the double Nestle Vendor at Hatch End on a number of occasions. In fact I probably have it saved on my computer somewhere. However, looking at it again today I noticed for the first time the wonderful Fry's Machine on the right of the picture.

I have that style of machine in a couple of Cigarette variations but have never seen it for Fry's. I don't suppose anyone has one? Tony???

Dave
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

I restored this one for a local customer years ago, a high end enamel sign collector. Cool the way they made the machine look like the packet it vends. In researching it I don't think I ever came across another?
Attachments
frys cream 2.jpg
frys cream.jpg
ilovemyjukebox

Post by ilovemyjukebox »

That’s excellent thanks for posting. Great machine.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Some other Fry's vendors at Oakham Treasures

[tripad][/tripad]
Attachments
p1330542-1608724140.jpg
p1330542-1608724140.jpg (117.04 KiB) Viewed 762 times
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Thanks for the pic Mr PM.

I have one of the blue and white vendors shown in that pic. Mine retains a little original Mackintosh's logo at the top front.

It's a borderline machine as I only keep original paint vendors and this just about in good enough original condition to keep. However, mine and I presume, these two, have a clever vending mechanism inside, which I wasn't aware of till it arrived in the post.

It has two vending columns, one in front and one behind. As one runs to empty the other column is tripped to move into position in its place, so it has double the fill, so only needs to be refilled half as many times.

I'll have a closer look at that picture later, but where the bar artwork is, there's usually a square glass brand advertising frame plate? The more experienced vendor collectors will know more I'm sure.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

coppinpr wrote:the older man standing by the shops dog in photo 2 is my grandfather
Can't imagine Tesco or Sainsbury's having a shop dog Paul. I had a part-time job in my teens working in a grocery shop - if you have ever watched Open All Hours, then this was the exact forerunner, the owner sold all sorts of stuff, meat, cheese, canned food, fresh food, sweets, Dr Whites, Dettol, Omo etc etc etc. I well remember lifting up sides of bacon on my shoulder and carrying them round from the store room to the shop - but prior to this I would need to scrape away the fly blows first !! :shock:
ilovemyjukebox

Post by ilovemyjukebox »

The clever mechanism you mention Neil, I have only ever seen in Kodak Machines of that era and on some of the larger floor machines.

I'm slowly being dragged back into vending after fighting the urge and going cold turkey for a while now..

Got to resist the temptation.
alan57

Post by alan57 »

Hi Dave
Pleased to hear you're now not selling off all your collection.
Alan
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Mr PM, please feel free to merge split etc these last couple of posts.

Here's a pic of mine in Mackintosh livery.

Mine had part of a marquee frame above the glass window - you can see the holes. Of course, as I've not seen another previously, I wouldn't know if the part is original to the machine or not? If others have the same machine in any livery I would appreciate any pictures they have - thanks. I have attached an image of the twin spring loaded inner vending tray as it's quite unusual certainly, although Dave, who is vastly more experienced in these, states he's seen similar in Kodak machines too?
Attachments
20181120_173053a.jpg
20181120_173204a.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Aristo, since there doesn't appear to be an old decal or any art on the paintwork itself, then I'd assume the frame was there so the operator could quickly alter the advertising to suit whatever package or flavour etc. Operators are notoriously lazy so nobody would've bothered to remove old graphics off the case if they were just covering them up. That same laziness has been a blessing as it's helped me out countless times with original graphics and details hidden away waiting for me to find them!
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

Scan_20191031b.jpg

Scan_20191031a.jpg

Following recent conversations with two fellow collectors about Nestl's vendors and postcards with slot machines in view, I looked through my cards and found these two.
alan57

Post by alan57 »

Great pictures BF of the Nestles vendors !!THUMBSX2!!
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Great Aussie location photo of a triple Nestle's vendor I just found in a 1970s book.
Attachments
nestles vend.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Found this unusual Nestles vendor, which looks really cool, so adding to the same thread. !!THUMBSX2!!
Attachments
3217F965-3EC1-4C3C-9945-48094526FC1D.jpeg