Oops I did it again............

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
andy d

Oops I did it again............

Post by andy d »

I have never claimed to have even a tiny percentage of the knowledge of the folks on this forum. But I have shown my naivety yet again and thought I would share it with others who may be interested in dipping a toe in this hobby.......never assume anything. :NBG:

I had a plan when I went to the Coventry auction, I recently built a summerhouse in the garden which houses my Pool table. I then started 'decorating' the walls with Billiard/Snooker scoreboards, of which I have a large collection. I then added a Cresset machine which I acquired from a friend, I have 'Smartie' vending machine and also a Billiard chalk dispenser. I have an Allwin, but my wife wanted it to stay in the Bungalow, on the wall, where it currently resides. :didact:

So, I decided to go after the two Beromat machines (for obvious reasons) and also the 'Win a Polo' Allwin. After some research (evidently not enough) I thought I should be able to acquire the two Beromat's for less than £200 each, so I was surprised when they both went for more than this. :!?!:

I then changed tack and decided to go after the one thing I have craved for a while now......a bandit with a mechanical Jackpot (I have already purchased one from someone on this forum, but unfortunately the JP mechanism was missing :-( ). So here is where my naivety came to the fore. I wrongly assumed that because the 'Three Bar' prize said Jackpot, and there was a window where the JP coins would be, and the presence of a "Hole" below the JP window for the coins to come gushing out, that the machine had a JP..........wrong!! !!SUICIDAL!!

Now, I am hoping that someone will tell me that I can fit a JP mech to it, otherwise I don't see why it should have the three things I mentioned that led me to believe it had a JP. But it is still a buggerance that I don't need. I am referring , by the way, to the Mills Hi-Top (Lot 139).

So in conclusion, I obviously didn't do enough research and assumed too much. !!SUICIDAL!!

PS Good show for those who organised the event, I actually had a great day until I got home the following day and realised what I had (or hadn't) purchased. :shock:

PPS I have just mounted the 'Win a Polo' Allwin on the wall and it would appear there is no ball in it...........I give up.......anyone know what diameter ball I need? :oops:
treefrog

Re: Oop's I did it again............

Post by treefrog »

It is always worth asking someone.

Interestingly the forth Hi Top the last one and other red one was mine and was the only one with a Jackpot, had been refurbished, but left with original paint with a very sweet mech and cash box etc, but fetched a lot less than the two previous ones.....I guess people prefer shiny machines.......always worth checking first :lol:

In fact someone approached me and kept asking me questions about it, seemed very keen and did not go for it, wasn’t you was it ;-)

Jackpot can be fitted, but you also have the trips and reset bar missing, you will need to check.

Ball sizes on most allwins are 9/16th, but someone will confirm otherwise

Ball bearing sizes
I remember starting above topic and never got a good response from the wooden box collectors, as would have been useful as a reference......maybe they can add others they know of.. :o
JC

Post by JC »

I remember starting above topic and never got a good response from the wooden box collectors
Well, I didn't think my response was that bad...... :#:
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Most certainly disingenuous of me as you're right, you provided an excellent response..... While talking about ball sizes, I recall and could not find the thread machines made with double width track and large balls, maybe an inch. I have a feeling they were BMco....odd things... Never seen one in the flesh and am guessing they are rare.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

tree frog wrote:while talking about ball sizes, I recall and could not find the thread machines made with double width track and large balls, maybe an inch I have a feeling they were BMco
Yes TF BMCo, but I have never seen one, perhaps the oracles Mr pennymachines, gameswat or JC could shed a little more light on the subject, I think I remember reading they were 2" balls although that sounds quite a large diameter.
Attachments
large ball allwins.jpg
JC

Post by JC »

There is a thread on here somewhere, or perhaps mention of them in a related thread. I vaguely recall there may have been some debate about whether they were BMCo or Bolland?
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I have found the thread in above picture, which I recall they were Jingles machines, which stated 2 inch balls, but no one at the time discussed the machines he posted......maybe no one knows !PUZZLED!

Six-Pot Jack Pot, DiaBolo & 3 early BM Co.s
andy d

Post by andy d »

TreeFrog wrote:
In fact someone approached me and kept asking me questions about it, seemed very keen and did not go for it, wasn’t you was it
No, not me. In hindsight, maybe I should have. Although I don't know who is who apart from the organizers.
Ball sizes on most allwins are 9/16th, but someone will confirm otherwise
The ball was stuck in the 'insides'. !!JUNK!! I have now sorted that bit out now. !!THUMBSX2!!
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

andy d wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:37 pm Although I don't know who is who apart from the organizers.
Agree, I see names on here of people who have a great depth of knowledge and wonder if I’ve spoken to them at the auctions as I’d like to ask them more. I only know Jerry and Jeremy.
watlingman

Post by watlingman »

You're not on your own mate. I only know Jeremy because I got a machine off him and I worked out who Jerry was at Coventry. The only other person I know is treefrog and I don't think he knows me! but I just know him as the iPad man for obvious reasons. lol
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

treefrog wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:11 am I have found the thread in above picture, which I recall they were Jingles machines, which stated 2 inch balls, but no one at the time discussed the machines he posted......maybe no one knows !PUZZLED!
There's little information about them, but it would appear they're first-generation ('20s to early '30s) BMco wall machines. I have one called Ping Pong. They're all quite simple skill-based 'amusement only' games, usually offering coin return only. I believe Steve Hunt owns several. The Diabolo appears to be earlier and uses a small diabolo as projectile.