Davy Jones penny pusher - Help!

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
deano67

Davy Jones penny pusher - Help!

Post by deano67 »

Hi,
Anyone have or know where I can get a Crouzet 82344 Motor or a Davy Jones Penny Pusher please ?
Pics attached.
Also, just wondering what actually goes wrong in these motors? It works OK but under any slight load it reverses itself.
Anything serviceable inside? It can come apart quite easily.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
ebay-march-12-2942a.jpg
ebay-march-12-2941a.jpg
ebay-march-12-2940a.jpg
ebay-march-12-2939a.jpg
Last edited by deano67 on Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mr merrivale

Re: Davy Jones Penny Pusher.Help!

Post by mr merrivale »

I buy them from RS Components but expensive.
deano67

Post by deano67 »

Thanks, but I tried RS and the two types they stock seemed different. Also is mine supposed to be the REV type or does it not matter?
I guess the 20 RPM is quite important too?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Engineers on here will be able to explain better than me, but a lot of electric motors don't care which way they turn.
Microwave turntables for example are not all made to automatically reverse the next time.
Depending on how/where the motor stops it may run backwards the next time. In fact if you load a microwave so the item will foul the side on start up, it will run the other way.
I don't see how it would make any difference on a pusher though as a crank doesn't care which way it turns on something that is simply turning a circular motion into a lateral back and forth one (I'm sure there's a more technical term for that!)

I seem to remember Jowett built vehicles with two stroke engines that could back fire on tick over then carry on backwards without the driver noticing. Consequently the man behind the wheel could be highly entertained pulling away from traffic lights to discover that not only was he proceeding in totally the opposite direction to the one he expected but he also had three gears at his disposal to really get some speed up.
I'm not suggesting 2 stroke internal combustion engines operate in the same manner as electric motors, I'm just writing the way I think.
I think.

BP !PUZZLED!
deano67

Post by deano67 »

Nice explanation BP !! I understand where you are coming from.
I starting to think maybe my motor is supposed to be auto reversing so if the tray gets stuck it reverses to clear the blocked coins? Or is the motor just faulty?
Needs someone's advice who has this type of machine/motor etc.
It seems to auto reverse when you apply on the lightest bit of pressure to the spindle. Maybe there is a circuit in there that is faulty, as the motor itself runs fine and not sure what can go wrong with a brush-less magnetic type motor.
slotalot

Re: Davy Jones penny pusher - Help!

Post by slotalot »

The Crouzet motor you have is known as a "synchronous" motor, which means its speed is constant, and is synchronized to the speed of the phases of the power supply, in the UK that is 50 cycles per second, depending on which part of the cycle the motor is connected to donates its direction of rotation, hence the marking "rev" it can start in any direction!... you can get Crouzet synchronous motors that have a built in clutch, they look the same but are marked "cw" clockwise, or "ccw" anticlockwise. :didact:
Hope this helps..
Last edited by slotalot on Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I'd say it was a benefit in case (as you say) of a blockage. |/XX\|
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Isn't Uncle Stuart good?
I really miss him.

BP :#:
deano67

Post by deano67 »

Ok Thanks for all the advice guys.
So is there any thing serviceable inside ?
Or is it new motor time ? Cant seem to track one down with the correct RPM and REV feature.Found one in the States but waiting to see if they will ship to UK.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

There are no serviceable parts in this motor.. I doubt there is anything wrong with the motor you have now, getting a new one of the same type and size will not solve the problem, this motor has not got enough power to do the job,most likely only 3 or 5 w... I would be looking to try a motor like this, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220V-14W-Spe ... rk:51:pf:0 plenty of power at 14 w.... !!THUMBSX2!!
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

badpenny wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:53 pm Isn't Uncle Stuart good?
I really miss him.

BP :#:
I miss you too... :oops:
deano67

Post by deano67 »

Oh Ok,i thought my existing motor was the original one ?Looks like it has been in there since the 1960s !!
I still think its faulty as the slightest pressure stops it with ease and it reverses itself.
I will look at the one you mentioned but would have either mount it through its existing gearbox or directly which would mean a very slow RPM speed.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

That Crouzet motor doesn't look as substantial as any I've seen even in the smallest pusher.
There's a photo on here of the typical Parvalux Click Here

BP :cool:
deano67

Post by deano67 »

Yes come to think about it it does look tiny.The guy i bought it from did say the motor was weak,maybe someone swapped it out and then realized it was no good.
I think its time for a stronger one!
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

I know someone who has a Davy Jones locker pusher that runs with a Crouzet motor, number 392, 50 cycles per second,240 volt,clockwise,10rpm. !PUZZLED!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

13rebel wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:17 pm I know someone who has a Davy Jones locker pusher that runs with a Crouzet motor, number 392, 50 cycles per second,240 volt,clockwise,10rpm. !PUZZLED!
I have an Easy Push, but have no idea on rpm, but would of thought 20 would be more normal, so around 3 seconds per rotation. 6 seconds sounds like a very long time and surely would have a very slow movement of the draw, unless geared differently !PUZZLED!
deano67

Post by deano67 »

Would it be at all possible for some pics of the motor on the machines you both mentioned ?
RPM is stated on them.
Thanks in advance
deano67

Post by deano67 »

I think its the gearbox that determines the RPM ? My motor spins faster than 20 RPM when you take it out of the gearbox so i guess the gearbox slows down the cycle.Yes 3 seconds per cycle seems about right
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

13rebel wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:17 pm I know someone who has a Davy Jones locker pusher that runs with a Crouzet motor, number 392, 50 cycles per second,240 volt,clockwise,10rpm. !PUZZLED!
the 392 refers to a type 390 motor fitted to a type 2 gearbox, but the magic word here is "clockwise" it can only run in one direction... the 10 rpm version will give you 1500 grams per centimeter of torque, this should be enough to drive the machine, so the motor on the machine can not be the original one and has been swapped at some time.. :!?!:
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

The machine with the motor I mentioned can be viewed on you tube...by 'supershotbattymanbor'....davy jones locker pusher. The rpm is stamped on the motor.