Davy Jones penny pusher - Help!

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
13rebel

Re: Davy Jones penny pusher - Help!

Post by 13rebel »

photo,this does have a gearbox like Deano's.
Attachments
AATONY-(2).ajpg.jpg
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Stuart, just for clarification did you mean Deano's motor has been swapped at some time or the 10rpm one I posted? Also just to get a better understanding of the jargon, I understand what you say about 'synchronous' motors being constant speed, but the synchronous motor on ebay you mention says 'speed reducing'. Your pearls of wisdom please. TF, the Easy Push had a faster motor than the Davy Jones because it pushed back the coins on the edge of the deck - the Davy Jones didn't do this.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Not sure which type the Easy Push is. Mine is attached at the moment as below.

Funnily I have a pile of various motors with gearboxes as below. No idea why I have them and whether they are any use for anything. Look to be all British by makers like Brevel, Carter, Limit and Mycalex.
Attachments
A5145E34-E7A4-4FB5-B053-0966FA342F55a.jpg
855DD763-F17F-480B-856F-F67515559998a.jpg
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

13rebel wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:59 pm Stuart, just for clarification did you mean Deano's motor has been swapped at some time or the 10rpm one I posted? Also just to get a better understanding of the jargon, I understand what you say about 'synchronous' motors being constant speed but the synchronous motor on ebay you mention says 'speed reducing'. Your pearls of wisdom please.
Hi, yes the motor on Deano's machine has been changed at some point, I think the ad on ebay just suffers from a bad Chinese translation - it is in fact a constant speed motor. They do offer a few options of final rpm. :cool:
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Thanks Stuart.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

badpenny wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:53 pm Isn't Uncle Stuart good?
!!THUMBSX2!! **xXx**
brigham

Post by brigham »

I never realised that this machine was by CAM Automatics of Seaham Harbour.
I was the under-bidder, too.
I'd certainly have gone up to £350 if I'd known!
deano67

Post by deano67 »

Hi Brigham,
Sorry didn't realize you were the under bidder. I may sell it on yet once its working correctly. Can you give me more info about Cam automatics, and does it make the machine a bit more special etc.
Thanks.
brigham

Post by brigham »

It makes the machine interesting to me. CAM Automatics (and MAC, before them) were based at Seaham Harbour, which is one of my boyhood haunts.
I've never liked pushers. I think perhaps the principle was a little too basic; but this one was small, early (as pushers go), familiar, and not damaged by the decimalisers, so I thought I'd have a go.
Also it was local for collection. That always helps!
deano67

Post by deano67 »

Ah thanks for the info, sounds like the machine has quite a connection to you. Will keep you in mind if I ever sell. Collection would have been best like you say as DPD damaged it in transit and I can't start the resto until the claim goes through! Also waiting on a new motor to arrive so not had a lot of luck so far with it.

Not a good idea having a machine sent by carrier. I am sure many on here would agree but I would recommend using a private carrier through Shipley or Anyvan type service rather than the big companies. To be fair to the sender, it was very well packed but still got knocked about. The claims process is awkward too as it's all up to the sender to chase the claim even though the buyer has to photograph the damage, keep all packaging and not able to touch the item until the claim has gone through!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

In case you haven't seen it, here's the CAM Automatics topic.
deano67

Post by deano67 »

Yes had a good read of that link, very informative, thanks.
yaksplat

Post by yaksplat »

Take a look at this motor:
https://www.allelectronics.com/item/dcm ... ead/1.html

Just looking at this motor makes me want to build a pusher. !PUZZLED!
Attachments
brushless.jpg
brigham

Post by brigham »

3-Phase DC.
Now there's an interesting concept!
yaksplat

Post by yaksplat »

It just requires a speed controller to work, but that eliminates any need for additional gearing. I just like reading this review:
This thing has incredible torque! Out of curiosity, I put a long 10mm wrench on the shaft, and tried to stall the motor. No matter how hard I tried, it was no contest, and the motor only peaked @ 3.1A during this heroic arm-wrestling match. Crude, but informative. I'm now using these to power a 150 lb stair-climbing robot.
That's it... I'm buying one. Future penny pusher project incoming.
JC

Post by JC »

So what exactly is a 3 phase DC motor?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Crazy, t'would seem the laws of electrickery have changed.
In order to have phase, you have to have AC so that you can have two or more AC sources to measure the relative phase angles that they possess. The concept of three phase alternating electricity refers to the relational phase differential of three alternating current single phase sine waves, each displaced 120 degrees of phase angle from the other.
The advert glibly comments that a controller is required, I guess that's the misdirection.

What is it you're wanting to push with that? Yorkshire?

BP !PUZZLED!
yaksplat

Post by yaksplat »

I'm not an electrical engineer, but I did take a few EE classes when getting my mechanical degree. So let me give it a shot with a little help from Wikipedia.

So DC electricity from a battery or transformer goes to an electronic speed controller. This sends out timed pulses to each of the three phases, controlling rotation of the motor shaft. You can vary the voltage to the controller and that will slow down or speed up the motor.

Anyone can correct me if my information here is incorrect.

From the spec sheet, this is a 334W motor at 5270 RPM

Same motor on a test setup, without the gearbox:

slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Sounds like a stepper motor to me ?? :!?!:
yaksplat

Post by yaksplat »

I found a good explanation
The two are largely the same, fundamentally. However, they differ in intended application. A stepper motor is intended to be operated in, well, steps. A BLDC motor is intended to be operated to provide smooth motion.

Since stepper motors are used for motion control, repeat-ability of the steps is desirable. That is, if you start at one step, then to another, then back to the first, it should ideally return to exactly where it was previously. Various things can mess this up; slop in the bearings, friction, etc. BLDC motors are optimized for smooth torque between steps, not repeat-ability.

Stepper motors are designed to maximize holding torque, the stepper's ability to hold the mechanical load at one of the steps. This is accomplished by keeping the winding current high even though the rotor is aligned with the stater. This wastes a lot of energy, because it generates no torque unless the load tries to turn out of position, but it does avoid the need for any feedback mechanism.

On the other hand, BLDCs are typically operated with the rotor lagging the stater so that applied current always generates maximum torque, which is what a brushed motor would do. If less torque is desired, then the current is decreased. This is more efficient, but one must sense the position of the load to know how much torque to apply. Consequently, stepper motors are usually bigger to accommodate the additional heat of operating the motor at maximum current all the time.

Also, for most applications, people expect a stepper to be capable of small steps for precise motion control. This means a large number of magnetic poles. A stepper motor typically has hundreds of steps per revolution. A BLDC will usually have many less. For example, recently I was playing with a BLDC from a hard drive, and it has four "steps" per revolution.

Stepper motors are usually designed for maximum holding torque first, and speed second. This usually means windings of very many turns, which creates a stronger magnetic field, and thus more torque, per unit of current. However, this comes at the expense of increased back-EMF, thus reducing the speed per unit voltage.

Also, stepper motors are usually driven by two phases 90 degrees apart, while BLDCs typically have three phases, 120 degrees part (though there are exceptions in both cases):

Despite these differences, a stepper can be operated like a BLDC, or a BLDC like a stepper. However, given the conflicting design intentions, the result is likely to be less than optimal.