Roto-Pool, Roto-Fruit, Rotolite, Electrodart, Bingola, etc.

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
rippyspennyarcade

Re: Rotolite problem

Post by rippyspennyarcade »

Hi , I own a ROTOLITE and had exactly the same problem! The 2 lights were lit, yet everything else was dead. The answer was as Badpenny mentioned - THE 3 AMP FUSE in the machine (which is easily spotted) HAD BLOWN. Will be surprised if it's anything more sinister than that!!! By-the-way, does the BELL actually ring when a win is achieved? Let me know, rippyspennyarcade.
pogjones

Post by pogjones »

Thanks for the advice. I will have a look and let you know how I get on. For the short time it worked the bell did ring when a win was secured.
pogjones

Post by pogjones »

Rotolite is now working, the problem was a broken solder joint on the rectifier. Thanks for the support.
Bill
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Hooray for that! Old electro-mechs don't like being moved around too much, it jolts connections and knocks dust down into leaf springs.
Still at least it wasn't the nuclear phase director out of synch they can be a right swine on Rotolites.

If the back pedalling mudguards become misaligned you'll need to regrind the underhand valves before hooking up the waffle baffle.
:D
slotalot

One Man's Rubbish, another Man's Treasure

Post by slotalot »

Being the little eco-worrier that I am, I have just made my weekly pilgrimage to the local “dump it site” with a generous offering of old newspapers, plastic bottles and empty beer cans for gods of recycling :cool: , and as I was walking from my car to the skip I noticed the chap in the next parking bay, he was struggling to remove an old cooker from the back of his car, hang on mate I will give you a hand I said, and as we slid the cooker from the car I spotted a cardboard box behind the drivers seat, are you dumping this box as well I enquired, yes its all got to go he said, would you mind if I take it home with me I said, he gave me a puzzled look :clown: and said yes its yours if you want it mate. And with that I put the treasure in the boot of my car and took it straight back to my nest for further investigation. And if you look at the photo you will see the contents of that box, and the moral of this story is it pays to be green! :mrgreen:
Attachments
ex-GPO uniselector switches and relays.
ex-GPO uniselector switches and relays.
john t peterson

Re: One Man's Rubbish, another Man's Treasure

Post by john t peterson »

We are all green now, with envy. :)
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I don't believe any of this, whoever heard of a Yorkshire man throwing anything away? :eek:
slotalot

Re: One Mans Rubbish is another Mans Treasure

Post by slotalot »

It's true I tell you!.... mind you he did have a Coventry accent... :oops:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Obvious questions - did you ask where he got them and if he had more?
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi PennyMachines :D , when I first saw the box in the back of his car I could only see a couple of GPO relays and lots of old newspaper, it was not until I got home later that day that I found the uniselectors and all the other relays under the paper, some of the newspapers were dated 1986 so I think they had been in the box for a long time... as for asking if he had any more, I did not get the chance as he was in his car and away before I could ask anything, so I will never know.... not a bad find nowt though!... :tarah:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

He was probably in a hurry to get home and smash up all those chrome plated bandits and jukeboxes that his wife was nagging were stopping her from getting near her compost heap ........................ you know what they're like? :P
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Badpenny wrote:I don't believe any of this, whoever heard of a Yorkshire man throwing anything away? :eek:
My dad was a Yorkshireman - he said that copper wire was invented by two Yorkshireman fighting over a Penny. Is this true??
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Not true at all, it was a Farthing !
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Thanks for that lads :D , One thing I do know is... I can make my money stretch further than my wife can ;-)
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Me being dim and not up on GPO selectors etc. - if I see any, shall I bag them then if you want them? What is their purpose? Wall mount German electronic stuff like Electrodart etc?? U never know, I might come across some. I shall print that photo off and keep it in my wallet for the boot sales.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi malcymal, :D A lot of 1950s-60s British machines were made up from ex-GPO relays and uniselectors, machines like Electrodart :arrow: Bingola :arrow: Find The Lady..& lots more... at that time they were plentiful as the telephone exchanges were being upgraded and the old equipment was being sold for scrap... this is why you can get two identical machines and the workings may not be the same in each as the supply of parts was not a steady one.... the attached photo shows the insides of a typical machine.. They are also a sod to work on as you only have to have one dirty contact and you could be all day trying to sort it out :dammit: it's lucky that I love a challenge and have lots of time to work on them... if you get some I would keep them for the day you find a sick machine in need of some tlc. :tarah:
Attachments
50b2_1a.jpg
50b2_1a.jpg (19.95 KiB) Viewed 3845 times
operator bell

Electrodart and Rotofruit revisited

Post by operator bell »

Seeing the video of the Electrodart posted by rippyspennyarcade reminded me that there were a number of people looking for information about these games, going back a couple of years now. Mainly what was needed was a circuit diagram. I don't own one of these machines myself, otherwise I'd trace it out and post it just to satisfy my own curiosity, because there's some subtlety going on inside. For example, I'm curious to know how it maps a 25 position uniselector to 20 stop positions (22 in the case of the Rotofruit) with no apparent jumps or discontinuities. I want to know what function the left uniselector performs - it advances one step at the beginning of each game. Does it select alternative sets of stops?

Can anyone help with more information?

Slotalot's Roto Pool Wiring Diagram now in Resources - Site Admin.
malcymal

Re: Electrodart and Rotofruit revisited

Post by malcymal »

I too am getting more fascinated by these vintage electric machines. Since I bought my Günter Wulff Rialto and opening the back door I was just absolutely amazed by the circuitry in the back; so so clever. I like the small footprint of these machines and I too would be interested in buying an Electrodart/Rotofruit. Malc
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Seen what I think is that same machine, but with a Football pools theme, the Roto Pool at Mullocks Auctions on the 3rd December.

ROTOPOOL

1940s Amusement Arcade 1d football game: Roto-Pool electric 1 old penny slot machine - glass hinged front panel decorated with football figures to each corner of the pitch - c/w oak wooden casing key and money draw - in working order and comes with a quantity of old 1p pieces. Overall 29.5 x 21.5 x 6.5
Apologies I know this should be under the auction section.
Attachments
rotopool.jpg
stoxman22

Post by stoxman22 »

I am on the lookout for a transformer for a Rotolite, I guess they were the same in all of these machines. I have a nice machine with a melted Tx. I know I could rewind it myself but I don't have the patience. Anyone know of a rewinder for small Tx's?