Mills/Sega/Jennings Lucky Horseshoe/Devil/Chief

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
thndrr

Mills/Sega/Jennings Lucky Horseshoe/Devil/Chief

Post by thndrr »

Hello all! I am new here, and recently acquired a machine that has been in the family for a while. The machine is a Sega Bell. I have found a few pics of the machine online, but nothing as far as how it operates and definitely not how to service it! There are very few markings inside the machine itself.

IMG_0553.jpg

It has some electronics where most Mills machines have the jackpot assembly. The problem is no one knows or has seen how the machine is supposed to work as the cord was cut and removed many years ago. I talked to some local shops and even they had no idea.

I had some questions that maybe someone can help with.

1. How does the machine work?Does the devil light up on front randomly and any symbol on the middle reel in pay line trigger it? What's the payout? The card is vague on mystery payouts, jackpots (Bar Bar Bar), and whatever the 'Devil' feature is. Should there be a jackpot assembly? Otherwise not sure how it would pay out the jackpot. So I have answered this based on the thread aristomatic linked. The feature is triggered when a jackpot is hit, the devil lights as stated, and for what seems like a set duration of time all symbols in the first reel give 10 coins. The knob potentially adjust the duration of the feature.

2. Is this transformer likely 110v? Would like to replace the cable and plug it in! Might answer some of these questions, but didn't want to risk damaging it if its expecting a higher voltage. I was able to find a post of another device from around the same time period and it was not 110v, but nothing conclusive. I could always replace the transformer, but I don't know what its outputting.

3. What do the blue wires connect to? Is it possibly an aftermarket addition? They seem out of place.

4. I have not been able to find reel strips that match with the Devil in the middle reel, is there a source? I'm also still figuring out how to trace the reels and identify them properly. They are not correct and some of the strips are missing parts. I have determined the Devil is not even supposed to be on the middle reel, and likely all of my reels are misaligned and nowhere near correct.

5. What does the knob (potentiometer) on the brains do? Is it a volume adjustment, or some sort of jackpot adjustment? Likely an adjustment for the time that the jackpot feature stays on.

6. There has never been a back door/panel. It seems like some of the mechanism is possibly made to be actuated by the door being in place? This hasn't seemed to affect its operation, but just a curiosity. I am still tracing all the levers, etc.

Looking forward to talking to everyone! Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_0561.jpg
IMG_0554.jpg
Last edited by thndrr on Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aristomatic

Re: Sega Bell Slot Restoration

Post by aristomatic »

Hello and welcome.

There are others who have more knowledge and experience of working on the Lucky Devil and similar variants, so I am sure they will be along soon to get you sorted. In the meantime you can utilise the search function to filter similar threads over the years.

Just tap in 'Lucky Devil' in the search box top right and have a read through.

Here's one I picked out just to get you started but there are others!

Sega type Lucky Devil
thndrr

Post by thndrr »

Excellent thanks! Just looking at that and thinking about it, the devil can't really be in the middle reel, as there would be no way for a finger to get to that wheel through the first wheel. Likely these reels are completely wrong. I will attempt to map them tonight.
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

From your pictures I think the rear casting (backbonnet) is also missing its backstrap. This strap runs along the flat section of the backbonnet and is attached by four rivets. The missing metal back door slides under this backstrap.

Here's an image to show. It's off a Mills version Hightop but shows the part missing regardless.
Attachments
original-mills-high-top-slot-machine_1_8a9d87d0e21223a299413e71a98268e2.jpg
original-mills-high-top-slot-machine_1_8a9d87d0e21223a299413e71a98268e2.jpg (26.81 KiB) Viewed 7165 times
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Welcome to the forum.
The history of this machine would be interesting. Sega "Lucky Devil" machines usually look like this one I restored a few years ago (sold now, so can't refer to it directly).

finished 1.jpg

Either your machine was an earlier model using the same mech in an old style case (not really likley) or someone has put the mech from an LD in an old case and squeezed in the electrics.

From what we can see of the electrics they are the same as the standard LD. The standard way of starting the Lucky Devil type of feature on most machines was to use a cog system low down on the right side of the mech. A switch in the same area started the cog which moved on with each pull till it clicked off, ending the feature, but if I remember correctly, this machine replaced the cog with a timer which activated from the same switch low down on the right side.

Without being able to connect the electrics it's going to be hard to check out and if the transformer is indeed a 110v only it won't stand our 240v. If the machine was running on UK coins, chances are it's not 110v BUT you must be sure before connecting it up and beware of the danger. Even if the transformer is putting out low power to most of the machine it may well be putting out 240v to some areas.

You may be right about no Devil needed on the center reel but not because of the reason you give. Why can't a finger go through to the middle payout disc and beyond if needs be? I'm unclear on what you mean here.

Is the machine working and paying out correctly mechanically? Test all the payouts with the mech out of the machine (look up the fan stop method which can be found in many posts on this forum).

List the reel strips as they are, noting any operator added patches, and I'll try and look them up. I can make new ones to your requirements if you ever need any.
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Here's some more background info on this pay out feature,
In this thread there is also a link to another thread too........

Looking for information about a Berkeley machine

I have seen a fair few Hitops with the additional lucky devil feature and award card fitted just like yours and there are others with a similar payout feature fitted but not actually lucky devil artwork.

Lucky Horseshoe Hightop for sale

It may also be beneficial to post pictures of the mechanism outside of the cabinet, in particular the handle side lower and upper, so members can see payout parts at the lower part of the sideframe and vertical fingers at the upper part of the sideframe.

As always, it's best to get loads of advice before starting to adjust or moving things. Take pictures of all parts before you start any project so you can see your start point.

As it's holidays some members who may be best placed to help you may be away, so bear this in mind. It's always easier if someone has the same model and or machine
layout or has recently gone through the same process as it's fresh in their minds and they may have pictures to run through the process with you.

If you want parts to complete the machine, there is a wanted section within the Market on the site. See top left on homepage. Just a nominal charge to list for parts wanted.

Good Luck

Here's another hitop image.
Attachments
9573_141016-092721.jpg
thndrr

Re: Sega Bell Slot Lucky Devil Restoration

Post by thndrr »

I have attached some photos of the mechanism. It does not seem to be paying out properly at all. I get 2 coins occasionally randomly, nothing more. The reels definitely are incorrect, and i'm still unsure if the payout system is also partly to blame. I've tried manually lining the reel holes to trigger a 10 coin pay out without success.

I should have noted I am in the USA. The machine has lived most of its live in the US, however the only non numeric identifier on the machine is on the backbonnet, two decals that say Brighton, England. If I put 110v into the transformer, nothing comes out. There are zero identifying marking on the transformer, so I am unsure of its input/output. Anyone have specs on the Lucky Devil (or the variations) electronic requirements?

The escalator assembly has been jamming quite a bit (almost 75% of the pulls) when I put the mechanism back in during testing, it worked flawlessly before I removed the mechanism. The machine has run off of US 10c pieces (dimes) as long as its been in the family, and never skipped a beat unless one of us as kids put something else in it, then it would jam. Whether that is what its setup for (dimes) or just a fluke I dont know.
Attachments
0a.jpg
IMG_0591a.jpg
IMG_0590a.jpg
IMG_0588a.jpg
IMG_0586a.jpg
IMG_0583a.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Although your machine clearly has electrical problems most problems are caused by dirt and old grease. If the two things are going on at the same time it can really complicate the matter.

We can now see the right side of the machine and that starts to clarify some of the electrics. It looks from what we can see as if the switch down low by the horizontal fingers switches the electric feature ON when the correct finger is released. This would be pretty much normal for this feature. I'm guessing from one of the other photos that the feature is switched OFF by one of the vertical fingers being released up near the payout discs cutting the circuit through the switch we can just see there. Of course nothing will work if the transformer is not putting any power out to the mech. It looks as if the solenoid mounted on the vertical fingers is engaged by the on switch (down low right) and stays on till the circuit is broken by the off switch (top near the payout disc), so to get an idea of the transformer needed you need to know the voltage of the solenoid. Hopefully, it's written on it although they are notorious for burning off their paper covers. You also need to check the power for the lighting goes through the transformer. If it does, then check the voltage of the bulbs. This too will help in getting details of the transformer. As you are in the US, you know what input power is needed (110v, I suspect). Once you know the output needed you can replace the transformer.

I assume all other payouts are provided by the normal slide method. We need to see photos of this area please. You say when you set up a payout nothing happens. Unless you have a very unusual problem, I bet something happens... just not all of the process. So set up a winner and track it back from the payout disc and let us know at what point it fails (do not test using the feature of course). The sequence should be:

1. the correct vertical finger falls through the payout disc,
2. at this point the slides should be held back from the horizontal fingers by the clock operated slide brake,
3. the movement of the vertical finger going through the payout disc causes the correct horizontal finger down low on the right side to retreat away from the slides that are going to make the payout,
4. the clock moves on the releases the slide brake,
5. the master slide shoots back into its starting place letting the slides fall back to be restrained by the horizontal fingers, all except the ones mentioned in (3.) which continue on to make the payout.

The escalator may well be just dirt. They do suffer from wear more than almost any other part, so that is a concern. It may be you are running the wrong coin which might have worked fine just by luck but is causing extra wear especially to the escalator. Remove it, clean it, check for wear and any signs it used to run another coin.

I'm sorry this is long winded but I'm not sure how much you know about the payout cycle.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I can confirm that your 1st and second reels are the wrong way around, either just the reel strips or the actual reel tins. To confirm you will need to go through a complete payout check with the clock stopped and poking a long screwdriver through each of the holes writing down each of the awards. I often use sticky bits of post it notes on each to mark what they are. If the reel bundle has been swapped, would explain why payouts not happening when expected.

I would focus on this as electrics are only for the special award. I have the same machine somewhere, but buried... Also, why do you think the transformer is 110v, it may have never been changed from the U.K. 240v as this is obviously a machine from here and probably runs on sixpence similar to 10c, but not the same? In terms of jams from coins, you will need to take off the coin tube - easy - a single screw on the side, remove, check tube and coin slides....
thndrr

Post by thndrr »

It's definitely grimy, it probably hasn't been cleaned in 40 years.

The transformer feeds the box with the potentiometer on it, from there everything else is powered. The solenoid actually does have writing on it, this is the (albeit it much more modern looking) solenoid from the same company. All I can make out on it are "BAC 3" "50 CY" and "Cont RTG". I can't read the voltage.
http://www.hebsbenson.co.uk/wp-content/ ... 3-Data.pdf

The bulbs are fairly nondescript, Edison miniature screw bulbs like you would find in a flash-light. Two of them, in small holders.

Lo and behold, the reel strips actually are labelled by pencil "Left" and "Center", and flipped. The disc themselves are stamped, the left most SG-1, middle SG-2, and no markings oddly on the third reel. No actually print markings on the strips themselves.

Mapping the reels looks pretty straightforward, however how do I know which payout finger goes to which symbol? Or is that part of the fun as well? Most of the payouts on this machine are 10 coin, so it may be problematic.

Thanks everyone for your input, it's nice having some experts to lean on!
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

How many bars and melons on each reel strip are there? Makes life lot easier if just 1 bar and 1 melon on each strip.

By the way, if you remove the coin tube, when replacing it, make sure you reinsert the rake off lever. This is the L shaped lever that pokes through the slit or hole at the rear top of the coin tube. As you remove cointube it will just fall back, but retained by a fastener.

In England it's pretty rare to have cherries on all three reels. Less likely to put the left or centre strip on the right reel as cherries are shown on the award card, paying left & centre only. Tic Tac Toe reel-strips make life easier too of course..........
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

As Aristo says, it's easy if there is only one jackpot line available. You can't just line up any three bars, it has to be the right three bars. Although I don't use it much, there might be an easy way to get started: some sets of payout discs have a set of line up holes (I think I can see them on yours). These are three small holes that when lined up and, with a thin rod pushed through, hold the reels in the correct position for (I think in your case) three BARS (or perhaps the start point for the reel strips, Aristo will know). It's not so easy as it looks as if it's bars you would still need to move the strips round the reels if there is more than one three BAR option. Each option would need to be set up then the rod removed and, say, three oranges lined up to see if they give a payout. If you need to dismantle the reel bundle and put them in the right order this will be much easier to test with the line up holes.

Like Tom, I did think of the transformer being the old UK 220v, but I thought you said the electrics used to work. Is that not the case?
thndrr

Post by thndrr »

Sorry, to clarify I have no knowledge of the electronics ever working. The plug has been cut off as long as I can remember, unsure if it has ever been used in the States.

There are a couple of holes on each reel, one small one and two larger.

I have attached the reel strips, unfortunately two symbols are missing. But it does appear to lack a Cherry in the third reel, and have only one melon / bar.
Attachments
IMG_0625a.jpg
IMG_0620a.jpg
IMG_0618a.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

the reel strips are of course Sega BUT they have been designed using the Mills 7-7-7 strips for the most part,so much so that you can guess the top two missing symbols are BELL, LEMON but Im sure someone has this machine and can confirm that, you do have them laid out in the correct order. Do melons and bars pay the same? if so then you will need to test a couple of options to make sure you line up the correct JP holes for those two payouts,

seeing as the electrics never worked in the US you can bet your life thats a 220v transformer, electrics not my thing but I dont think you can do much with it to work on 110v
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

If you look at the vertical pay out fingers in their frame, scanning left to right, e.g. from front of the mechanism to the rear, I would think vertical payout fingers operate the following:

Bars, Melons, Bell, Plum, Feature, Oranges, Feature, Cherry.

However, I'm a little puzzled over a couple of aspects so I would wait for others input before following my suggestion. As I said at the onset, I have little experience on this set up...
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

So you have lined them up correctly now and seeing the reel discs, the first disc (right hand one) matches the left hand reel tin correctly, so I assume someone had moved the strip for some odd reason.

You now need to line up and refit. Where the notch is on the disc (these are used for machines fitted with the token vendor) this should be where the Lemon lines up. You will need to refit the strip from the bottom first. Also, you need to line up where the second and third match. You can do this looking for the side where the holes are and writing down each combination..... Let us know if you need help.

Oh, edited as obviously where the finger goes in, as mentioned, you will need to line the lemon to the visual aspect of the centre of the reel window, so not put the lemon inline with the slot, just to be clear.
Attachments
0770E026-432B-4F0F-9B89-3FE06D69E327a.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

As usual with the forum we are moving forward slowly eliminating things one step at a time, and, as usual, it's working.

Now we have a clear photo of the outer (reel one) payout disc things are looking a bit easier to line up. It looks like there is only one payout for BARS and MELONS, once the first strip is in place using Toms method of lining up the three BARS will be easy. With the BARS in that position, check the holes line up for MELONS just to be sure and that's it!
Attachments
sega payout disc.jpg
sega payout disc.jpg (53.12 KiB) Viewed 3759 times
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I remember the machine I have which is almost identical, but a Mills version. Same electricals and although I bought 10 years ago have never touched it since or plugged in. Might have given me inspiration to dig out and get going !!THUMBSX2!!

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1411&p=6140#p6140
Attachments
470F3C86-91D5-40D8-B415-5188644E260F.jpeg
470F3C86-91D5-40D8-B415-5188644E260F.jpeg (45.87 KiB) Viewed 3708 times
4EE8A139-D07B-4677-9CA8-53ABEA685741.jpeg
4EE8A139-D07B-4677-9CA8-53ABEA685741.jpeg (41.03 KiB) Viewed 3708 times
53C33998-49CD-4566-81FC-37AA08D62114.jpeg
53C33998-49CD-4566-81FC-37AA08D62114.jpeg (36.4 KiB) Viewed 3708 times
thndrr

Post by thndrr »

That is identical! Well if you do get it out, I’d be much obliged if you could measure the transformer output!

I haven’t had a chance to mess with the reels. Hopefully I can tomorrow.
thndrr

Post by thndrr »

Making some progress. I have the reels mapped properly, I am now almost 100% certain. I get payouts on every single cherry. The problem is, I am not getting anything else. It seems like the fingers are not entering the reel deep enough to trigger anything. Below are images of a 3 bell hit. Nothing was paid out, and you can see the finger is lined up, but it did not go through. It does this for all other hits (including 2 cherry). Images are with my phone crammed and angled into the mech, so they appear a little skewed.
Attachments
IMG_0643a.jpg
IMG_0642a.jpg
IMG_0640a.jpg