Silver Jubilee

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
pennywise

Silver Jubilee

Post by pennywise »

Hi guys just got my hands on another Jubilee machine. I'm trying to find out when this machine was made. I'm guessing early '60s as my other was '67 but looked nothing like this one. Also does anyone know the original colour of this machine as I would like to get back to that colour but I would re powder coat in the blue as it does look quite nice. Any info on this would be great. 👍
Attachments
20190103_125203a.jpg
20190103_125312a.jpg
treefrog

Re: Silver Jubilee

Post by treefrog »

I am not an expert on Nutt and Muddle machines and now only own the one, the below blue one, which looks to have original hammered paint. I believe most of the original paints would have used this with various colours. Perhaps you can see on a chip if original paint is underneath.
Attachments
F6EA4D00-C70E-4890-B101-2600722565D1.jpeg
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

Thanks treefrog had a look but just looks like a flat paint but will know more when ive taken it apart, just finishing an aristocrat at the mo but think it must have been very close with colour because its blue everywhere even on the chips but has a red cash draw !PUZZLED!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Your machine looks to have been converted to 2p and I wonder if the top casting was added at that time, but was obviously on 6D originally.

Odd very few companies wrote dates on paperwork in their machines, but what is nice is to see the company name “New Century Novelty Co” which seems to be referenced rarely, but is on Mr PM’s Slots Down Under section as a company created at the same time as Nutt and Muddle Co, but not clear why two names were created and how used, maybe help with dating them.
History of Nutt & Muddle by Lorraine Wilson, 05/12/1974
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Dick Bueschel mentions the New Century Novelty Co. on page 232 of Lemons, Cherries & Bell-Fruit-Gum. He describes it as a "manufacturing arm" of Nutt & Muddle, formed presumably in the early '50s (Nutt & Muddle started in 1948).

webmedia.jpg

z71K8.0bjgFVwgNX9lzG9w.jpeg

He tells us that at first the company made a Silver Jubilee MK1 from old Mills half-tops by creating a distinctive diamond front casing (with non-fruit reel strips), then in the early '50s brought out the Remade Silver Jubilee MK1 with their own mechanism (see above).

He then says:
The firm's first front-opener, the JUBILEE Mark II of 1959, was followed by a greatly restyled SILVER JUBILEE models (sic) in modern cabinets for the British market. After the successful introduction of these models at a trade show in 1962, the firm established a branch in London called Jubilee Products to serve the U.K. with slot machines produced on British soil.

The page Treefrog linked to shows the British Lions Rugby team holding a Silver Jubilee aloft at Nutt & Muddle's premises on 23rd July, 1962, in a celebration perhaps connected with that trade show.

So your guess as to date looks good, pennywise. The modern look and front opening were clues that these had to be post '50s. I need to revise some date estimates in the Pokies Gallery. The paperwork there shows an early advert for the '60s Silver Jubilee which mentions, "many colour combinations to blend with club interiors".
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Your down under article from Bob indicated the Novelty company was created at the same time as N&M in 1948, if so they seem to brand with this to the 60’s.....they also used Nutt and Muddle name for branding for same period of the same machines as seen in the flyers on your page......who knows....maybe an export thing using different names, as the Mal token site indicated the Novelty name was used in the U.K......

Just realised your info came from the Mal Token site......incredible info on this site
https://sites.google.com/site/malsmach2/aristocrat/n-m
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Actually, I hadn't seen that page before - that information was from the documents kindly provided by Bob plus the Sydney Morning Herald piece posted to this forum in 2014. No doubt Mal's Token site found it there, but I agree it's excellent for researching our interest.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Interesting check list on this machine. Can we assume this machine was not considered a "standard" model as on the check list "JP" is crossed out and the machine has no jackpot and "Standard" is also crossed out so... not a standard machine at the time?

My one seems to be a much later model(?) Mine had an interesting history: started life in the UK then went to France after decimalisation then returned to the UK when France adopted the Euro. When I removed the coin tray during restoration I found the space beneath crammed full of over 200 sixpences and just a few French coins. Clearly the odd coin kept slipping under the coin tray for years until it was jammed full, a few later Centimes managed to creep in. Notable that customs had failed to notice this hoard of what could have been anything... twice, going to France and coming back. :lol:
Attachments
sixpences.jpg
finished1a.jpg
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Nobody rang the number yet to see if anyone answers it?

The telephone number blanks off usual 777 and mystery payout spaces on the award card. If we see a pic of the mech out of the cabinet it will answer if 777 gold award mech parts are present/removed or just replaced by another mech.
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

Thanks for all the info guys. The more I look at this machine, the more I like it because it's plain and simple with a bit of Deco on the front. Taken pics of the mech but only found two numbers, one on the casting and two patent numbers on the back. This machine has not been butchered or drilled for the use with lights, so just wondering if I should put a couple of lights inside or leave as is? Looks to have a home-made coin overflow chute which is a bit tatty so I will try and replace that and the top front chrome where you put the coin in I might keep because when polished goes well with the full front of the body. Now colour-wise the only red is the cash drawer and a small bar on the back of the front cover for the cash box, but it has original locks and keys I think.
Attachments
20190105_102148a.jpg
20190105_101922a.jpg
20190105_101858a.jpg
20190105_101653a.jpg
20190105_101638a.jpg
20190105_101624a.jpg
20190105_101615a.jpg
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

Just some new pics on how the silver jubilee is going, nearly finished.
Attachments
20190303_105744a.jpg
20190303_105824a.jpg
20190303_105840a.jpg
20190303_105803a.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Looking good, is that vinyl or laminate/Formica, certainly very visual.....I am oddly a fan of bright Formica on machines, probably one of the few that us :lol:
brigham

Post by brigham »

I like Formica on British types such as Jamiesons; it's part of the era.
This looks more like a skilfully-applied paint technique to me, though.
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

brigham wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:09 am I like Formica on British types such as Jamiesons; it's part of the era.
This looks more like a skilfully-applied paint technique to me, though.

20190304_175159a.jpg

I would love to say I've painted this but it's vinyl wrap that I imported. Just waiting for the front parts to be polished, then I can fit the front which when complete looks great will put final pic up ASAP. The other Jubilee is going to have a deep red frontage so they don't look too much like each other. Jst need a bit of help on price on what to sell it for if anyone wants to give me an idea. Don't want to over price it.
treefrog wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:34 am Looking good, is that vinyl or laminate/Formica, certainly very visual.....I am oddly a fan of bright Formica on machines, probably one of the few that us :lol:
Thanks TF, just love machines that stand out. Got another like this to do, then going to battle the Sega clone which we spoke about on the other thread. Going for the black vinyl with alligator skin pattern for the Sega, but sticking with the black and red front colour.😁👍
Last edited by pennywise on Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

All finished now, let me know what you think guys. I know it won't appeal to some of you, so good or bad give me your views.
Attachments
20190307_131758.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Alligator skin !OMFG! That would be interesting......wonder if the world of slots is about to be changed by wraps, like the car world..... Great because you can change with your mood. :roll:
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

:HaHa: I know TF, but at my age pal you've got to try something new and to be honest got it delivered today - it looks really nice and the side is caved in on the Sega, so might as well do something different with it. |/XX\| I wouldn't dream of doing it on a top quality machine, but the middle of the road one, why not? :!?!:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I think you made a great job of it. For me I would have preferred the ribs on the right front polished out to highlight them, but that's just my view. A really good job all round.
Attachments
finished1a.jpg
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

Thank you coppinpr. I was going to paint in between black then chrome wrap the slats to make them stand out but as I have another one to do in RED this time I'm going to try the chrome slats and see how it looks, trial and error, so if it doesn't look right I will peel them off.😁🤞
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

So the blue jubilee sold to a couple who drove all the way from Brighton to Yorkshire, really missing it so cracking on with another in deep red this time will try not to sell this one.🤔🤣🤣
Attachments
20190323_144826.jpg
20190323_144749.jpg
20190323_144810.jpg
20190323_144733.jpg