Win a Spangles... I do like a challenge

General vintage slot machine related topics.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Win a Spangles... I do like a challenge

Post by pennymachines »

Yes, the normal scheme on OW sweetie allwins is winners for all 7 positions of the gallery.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

brigham wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:52 am There is either a 'lost' hole, or one or more 'lost' tubes in the gallery.
I can't say I've noticed both
I don't think that's right. Search for images on the net, pretty much every one has a drain hole. This Spangles machine has never had any parts changed and was made as seven winners as they always did (as Mr P. has pointed out). I myself don't think I've seen a standard allwin with no lose hole. If there was no lose hole it would need to have been made with the lower track nearest to the gallery removed or cut into two to allow the ball to return to the hammer. !PUZZLED! I've only ever owned 5 allwins so I'm no expert. Perhaps I've just never seen one with the different track config.
Last edited by coppinpr on Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brigham

Post by brigham »

I imagine that some of the more shady operators have, at some time, modified a machine with a 'lost' hole so that it has one or more 'lost' tubes on the gallery, as well.
I've never seen one personally. All the ones I've seen have had either one or the other, but not both.
I'm wondering how you are going to replicate the Spangles. They were square, weren't they?
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Adding "lose" holes to the gallery I can see, that's commonplace (although it's not as easy as you make it sound). An internal path for the losers back to the ball release would need to be added to any machine not built with one. But adding a drain lose hole to a machine with losers on the gallery I can't see.

Spangles were indeed square. I've been told there are square shaped sweets (but not like Spangles) available in shops like The Range.
brianh

Post by brianh »

brigham wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:13 pm I imagine that some of the more shady operators have, at some time, modified a machine with a 'lost' hole so that it has one or more 'lost' tubes on the gallery, as well.
I've never seen one personally. All the ones I've seen have had either one or the other, but not both.
Attached pics (before and after tidied up a bit) of one I got a while back which had both ends of the gallery as "lose" and also a "lose" hole. It is though still surprisingly easy to win, as there are no metal shoulders to help the balls into the lose slots, so has presumably been cannibalised in the past. (Incidentally, like with the Spangles, I couldn't find packs of Spearmint Chews to fit but managed to source mini plastic packs of Mint Tic Tacs which fit prefectly, so honour satisfied. !!THUMBSX2!! )
Attachments
new2.jpg
win spearmint.jpg
win a spearmint chew.jpg
brigham

Post by brigham »

Further research appears to prove me wrong.
It turns out the 'Spangles' machine may not be modified after all. The example on the Pennymachines site ALSO has two 'LOSE' tubes on the gallery, as well as a 'LOST' hole.
If so, I've certainly seen (and played) one.
Strange thing, memory. Not to be relied on.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

R & W also had 2 lose holes in the gallery plus another lose in the traditional location at the bottom of the track, the mech for this Aero allwin is all original.
Attachments
IMG_0260.JPG
brigham

Post by brigham »

Lovely machine.
Did Ruffler's build it, or simply distribute it for Whales?
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

brigham wrote:Did Ruffler's build it, or simply distribute it for Whales?
Hi brigham, Ruffler & Walker did not build allwins they were made by a company called Corteen in London and distributed by R & W.
JC

Post by JC »

Although R&W didn't manufacture machines as such, they appear to have been very good at buying out companies that did; this was certainly the case with Corteen. Another example was Modern Enterprises (makers of the Laughing Sailors and other puppet machines) whose most prolific output was under R&W ownership.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Well he's just about finished, to the best of my ability at least, the first allwin I've ever totally stripped and rebuilt. Just a few little fine tunes to do; one door lock is stiff and the pins on one win channel are too close together and hold the ball (as you can see in the photo). Hardest part was finding a piece of oak for the cash door and getting the lock to fit nice (the old cash box door was two pieces of pine nailed together with no key hole, let alone a lock !OMFG!). It needed one new spring, two new locks (which I bought at Coventry years ago), a new top and backflash, a new coin box door, a new hammer stop on the front and a lot of paint removed. :lol:
Anyway, it was close to the bonfire when we got it and now it's good enough to go back into the slot community and outlive me.
Attachments
start2.jpg
finished 1.jpg
Last edited by coppinpr on Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Well done Paul, an excellent job you have made of that. It certainly looked a challenge! **xXx**
brigham

Post by brigham »

Outstanding.
Now, where's that Anglia van?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Looking good Paul, well done.

BP !THUMBS!
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

brigham wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:00 pm Outstanding.
Now, where's that Anglia van?
Last seen on Ebay, looking like this.
anvan.jpg
anvan.jpg (14.77 KiB) Viewed 4726 times

coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I was researching the size of spangles packets (the long winter evenings really do fly by when you have important stuff to do) and was surprised to find that "Tunes" are directly related to the old Spangles and are packaged in the same size and packing as the old Spangles BUT only in the USA. In the UK the size has been changed. :dammit:
cait001

Post by cait001 »

Canadian Halls packages are apparently the same size as old Spangles.
Attachments
Halls.jpg
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

I can confirm that the Halls fit into my Ruffler and Walker version without having to remove any from the packet. They are available in various flavours from some UK chemists, perhaps other outlets too. I also use Rolos, square Black Jacks, Love Hearts, Refreshers, Parma Violets, Fruit-Tella. These will need some removing and refinishing the paper end but look okay when installed. Cut up seaside rock can work, if you find the right diameter. It's all a case of trial and error. If some don't fit, you will just have to scoff them, oh dear what a pity. :lol:
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

You need 9/16 inch chromed ball. £3.50 with postage for one packet of spangles :shock:
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Are we talking seller 'calvinsvintageconfections' on ebay? I've just put in 20 in the quantity box and it's come up £40 plus just under £16 postage. !PUZZLED!