Fluorescent starters

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
chris buchanan

Fluorescent starters

Post by chris buchanan »

H,
I need a replacement for the starters in my 1961 Lord Sega. At present they are aluminium. If I buy 4w to 60w replacements from my local electrical store they don’t work. Please can you let me know the equivalent replacement.
treefrog

Re: Fluorescent starters

Post by treefrog »

The starter size is standard and should work across the broad tubes used on machines, mostly 4w, 6w and 8w.......

Can’t remember how many tubes there are on this machine, but I assume at least two. As such, there would be more than one starter. Are all tubes not working? Do you get any flickering? Stating the obvious, but have you checked the power source including fuse? It may also be an issue with ballast or tubes.

If you have not checked through all of above, maybe the next step.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Starters are starters, old or new. If you have the correct starters for the size of tube you have (and the tubes are definitely good) and they don't work, you may need to check the choke itself as the problem. Replacement chokes are available (just). :cool:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Tom & I saying the same thing at exactly the same time, great minds think alike. :didact:
ralph

Post by ralph »

Try F-20 starter 4-2 Watt 'HPM' brand or S-2. These mostly work well, but I have starters that refuse to work on Aristocrat Fluro's on 1970s era bandits.
Another one that works in my game: FE-T 4-22 Watt. That's an Aussie brand, also 'Clipsal'.
Good luck.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Not all starters are the same, some use series starters, it depends how it’s wired. Try series starters - might sort out the issue.
livinginthepast

Post by livinginthepast »

Some starters are 110 volt, some are 240 volt and they do not interchange.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

moonriver wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:38 pm Not all starters are the same, some use series starters, it depends how it’s wired.
You learn something new everyday day on here, well most days that is...... Might test a few as I'm sure I have used both types before. !PUZZLED!

S2 – Serial starters, used for starting of fluorescent tubes Т8, with power 4–22W connected in series of two to one magnetic ballast.

- S10 – Universal starters, used for starting of fluorescent tubes Т8, with power 4–65W and individually connected to a magnetic ballast
livinginthepast

Post by livinginthepast »

Series starters are 110 volt, FS22 4-22 watt 110 volt.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

We use series starters in our shop ceiling lights (4 fluorescent tubes, 2 x 2).
Many of the 1970s fruit machines with a tube top and bottom of the reel glass only used series starters, all 240 volt supply.
slotey

Post by slotey »

Have a look at 152777792527 on ebay, or similar ones for approx £2.34 inc. post from China - you can't beat them. I had my doubts at first and had one on test over night - no problem, not even warm. The 8 - 22 watt also OK for 4 watt tubes. If I have any problems, I strip the old control gear out and replace with one of these. One has been in a Jennings for approx three years, still going strong.
Attachments
Compact T4 Type Fluorescent Light Lamp Tube Electronic Electrical Ballast 220V
Compact T4 Type Fluorescent Light Lamp Tube Electronic Electrical Ballast 220V
chris buchanan

Post by chris buchanan »

Thanks for all your help.
I have 2 fluorescent new lamps and 2 starters. When I plug it in one lights and one tries to light, when I swap the starters around the same occurs in the opposite lights.
I could do with knowing where and which to get to match my Philips 61411/41 aluminium good one, or do I replace everything? Where would you purchase them please?
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Typical lack of series starter issue. Go to City Electrical Factors or similar electrical wholesaler (not B&Q, etc.) and ask for series starters. That will sort out your problem.
brigham

Post by brigham »

The new starters will come in a white plastic case. If you carefully bend back the tabs on the original aluminium starters, you will be able to transfer the cases to the new ones.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

:HaHa:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I like your thinking Brigham! !THUMBS!