H.J. Bud-Monheim Monimat

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

H.J. Bud-Monheim Monimat

Post by badpenny »

I recently bought the above H.J. Bud-Monheim. machine off flea-bite, and although the blurb said..........
I have had it over 18 years. It has sat on my bedroom floor for the last 15. It all works and pays correctly. I am very glad that I did.
Of course what he should have said in the description was...........
It all worked and paid out correctly when I started using it as something to put my washing on; on my bedroom floor 15 years ago, so when you come to collect it I shall then put a penny in it and we'll both see if it still does. :NBG:
Never mind after a nice cup of tea and a slice of cake we came to an agreement. !!THUMBSX2!!
This is a piccy off a German Arcade Site: -
315_img.jpg

Mine has professionally silk screened graphics and looks to have been made to run on English pennies.
monimat-front.jpg

The fruit symbols are an addition as the original number strips are underneath.

The mech in situ. The case and door are solid hard wood (oak?) only the back is ply. The handle has a Gunther Wulff type knob, in fact much of the machine seems to have their influence, or is it the other way round?
monimat-back.jpg

Although the mech also looks quite similar to a Gunther Wulff there are some very obvious differences. Firstly it's not made of "monkey metal" but is solidly cast. It uses vertical fingers against holed plates to detect payouts, although there are three different spinners one for each reel, unlike an American three reeler.
However the clock mech is similar except it's at the top.
monimat-mech.jpg

monimat-mech1.jpg

monimat-mech2.jpg

monimat-mech3.jpg

monimat-mech4.jpg

The cash box is really interesting (did I just say "the cash box is really interesting"??? Oh my god I am getting nerdy!) In so much there is a tunnel built through it for the winning coins to travel to the tray. If you lost the box you'd be buggered.

monimat-CashBox.jpg

As for the fact that the whole cycle of the mech was out of cycle and it all seemed to foul itself up with each moving bit tripping over its neighbour.
All it needed was the two Allen Keys slackening off (circled in white) and the metal bar behind knocking down quarter of an inch and all was well again.

monimat=Adjuster.jpg

Now it's oiled and adjusted it is a very sweet mech and runs nicely again. I've only got to twiddle around with the drop latches on the locks a bit and it'll be all ready for its pride of place at the back of the compost heap!

There seems to be very little (in English) about H.J. Bud-Monheim, can anyone throw any light?
Also do you think the old green sofa is looking a bit tired now?

Cheers
Badpenny
bryans fan

Re: Monimat - 1954

Post by bryans fan »

Badpenny wrote:Also do you think the old green sofa is looking a bit tired now?
Bit like its owner!
I think the nurses have made your room look very homely. :lol:
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Good to see you keeping up with technology Badpenny with your candlestick telephone - does it work?
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Hey small world, I was the under bidder on this and was so tempted. Not sure what it was, perhaps the simplicity of its appearance. I saw one of these at the pub I have mentioned on another thread called the Robin Hood in Sherringham, Norfolk and could not believe how small they are - even smaller than Beromats....

I thought the reel strips looked odd, nice that the originals are still there. The mechanism looks clean though. Nice looking machine
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

The nurses ...ahhhh! the nurses... sigh, it's Mr pennymachines nursey that I lust after.

Yes the candlestick phone and bell box do work and are complete with a modern connector on the end of the original curly wurly wire. The original number is on the dial "Sheffield 61" When it clatters into life half the street jumps. Amusingly the original graphite microphone on it makes you sound like Noel Coward ....... Dear Boy!!

As for the bandit the mechanism is surprisingly robust, it really is an unimposing machine to look at, although the body has a very solid and tactile look to it ( :oops: , thinking about nursey again) :woops:
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Lovely little find, right up my street! Is that a reel re-starter button on the front?!?!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

malcymal wrote:Lovely little find, right up my street! Is that a reel re-starter button on the front?!?!
Excellent question , and I've been waiting for someone to ask that ....... which is all a delaying tactic for I ain't got a clue !PUZZLED!

I thought that was what it's there for, and it does line up with a spring loaded bar on 't'other side. However that only makes a connection with the spinner for the first reel, it doesn't interact with it, it just gets in the way of the spinner if you press it same time as you pull the handle.
I've looked all around the frame to see if there are any holes where a piece of assembly has been removed, but can't see anything that's not there (eh?)

Edited because nothing above made any sense 10.25 am
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Ummm, is it a skill stop button??? All very intriguing. I'd love a little machine like this. I've got more and more into the German machines due to their small footprint. Nearly bought another German machine yesterday, but it was a bit too wide for the unit I wanted to put it on...bah....
Anyway, excellent find and congrats for getting such a wonderful machine.
jonesthegarage

Early German Monimat Bandit on Ebay

Post by jonesthegarage »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Looks to be unmolested apart from conversion to 1d - dates to 1955 and a manufacturer I'd not heard of before - H.J. Bud-Monheim, Berlin.
monimat.JPG

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Fruit ... 3a8ee34b08

http://www.automatix-club.de/index.php? ... &Itemid=37

Too rich and too far for me at £300 and on/in Canvey Island but one of you rich Southerners might give it a home.
classicgambler

Re: Early German Monimat Bandit on Ebay

Post by classicgambler »

I've got one of these. Mine has a few issues with it though. Mine is on 1p play and the coin trigger inside won't engage to turn the reels and the payout slides won't pay out either. What is the price anyone would pay for these type?
jonesthegarage

Post by jonesthegarage »

No idea what you might get but it's for sure that yours has got just about everything possible going against it - location, conversion, condition, - I can't see anybody outside Cornwall travelling to pick it up non-working, I'd be tempted to sell it locally as a vintage, retro, decorators piece, you might get lucky,

What is the mech? standard Gunter Wulff? Pictures would be good.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Jonesthegarage wrote:What is the mech? standard Gunter Wulff? Pictures would be good.
I've merged this thread with a previous one in which BP posted pictures of the mechanism. Although his looked earlier than the square cabinet version and had a skill stop, I'm guessing the mechanisms are similar. Clearly it shares no components with the Wulff mechanism (unsurprising, as it's made by Bud-Monheim) and, as BP says, it's not pot metal. !!THUMBSX2!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

badpenny wrote:
malcymal wrote:Lovely little find, right up my street! Is that a reel re-starter button on the front?!?!
Excellent question , and I've been waiting for someone to ask that ....... which is all a delaying tactic for I ain't got a clue !PUZZLED!

I thought that was what it's there for, and it does line up with a spring loaded bar on 't'other side. However that only makes a connection with the spinner for the first reel, it doesn't interact with it, it just gets in the way of the spinner if you press it same time as you pull the handle.
I've looked all around the frame to see if there are any holes where a piece of assembly has been removed, but can't see anything that's not there (eh?)

Edited because nothing above made any sense 10.25 am
I notice at the time I hadn't sussed out the button on the front. Some time later I did and omitted to update the thread ... tut tut :tut

It is a re-starter for reel one. Everything was there to make it work, I guess at some point an operator had undone a linkage at one end and just swivelled it out of the way.
After I reconnected it everything worked fine.

I still have it.

BP :tarah:
coppinpr

not a nice machine to look at

Post by coppinpr »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Another contender for ugliest slot machine.
bad slot.JPG
bad slot.JPG (39.79 KiB) Viewed 5348 times

stemic77

Bud-Monheim Monimat identified

Post by stemic77 »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Can anyone identify this machine? There is no number or maker's name.
Thanks
Attachments
P1130989.JPG
P1130988.JPG
coppinpr

Re: Unidentified

Post by coppinpr »

I think its German, Tura perhaps, I think I can check it out.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

That's not a Tura, it's a Monimat.
Paul if you check your website you'll see you sold one in the first batch of machines you advertised for sale.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Monimat identified

Post by pennymachines »

You also posted a topic on them here. (Now merged above - Site Admin.)
coppinpr

Re: Monimat identified

Post by coppinpr »

I should have known that, I actually found it while you and MP were beating me to it :dammit: