Hi from foggy Oxfordshire

Tell us a bit about yourself.
oxford allwin fan

Hi from foggy Oxfordshire

Post by oxford allwin fan »

Goad afternoon Forum chaps and chapesses; introducing myself; I am a retired chap, named Martyn; I live near Oxford.

I have always been fascinated by mechanical things and electro-mechanical things like jukeboxes and one-armed bandits...

About 30 years ago, before the kids were born, I owned a 'proper' Bal-Ami jukebox; it was super and sounded great BUT it had to go as the windows in the house needed replacing and the proceeds of the sale paid that nice Mr Everest's entire fee..

Some years later, when the kids were groan up, I bought a lovely little Seeburg wallbox which I cunningly connected to a 300-disc CD player, and found that -by adding a bass bin- I could emulate the sound of my dear old Bal Ami!

Obviously, I still have this and it is installed in the kitchen where it regularly emits varicose sounds of the 60s.

About 20 years ago, I acquired an Aristocrat OAB on 1p, which is sadly not 'on display', but works perfectly.

Then, a couple of years ago, the kids having gorn for some years, I bought my first Allwin; a Nostalgic Machines 'Hole In One' 10p play, with a somewhat (too much sunshine) burned-out playfield. But it's great fun and is almost as good as the real thing!

Then came another repro Allwin; a Mirror Top 'win or lose', which is 2p play and is in super condition...

BUT, to my delight I have just acquired an old HALFPENNY PLAY PAYRAMID!!!

It cost loadsa money but I am quite delighted.

So, that's me!

So hello to one and all, Martyn.

Predictably, I would like advice on how to restore/maintain the Payramid and will create a post asking the question 'should I restore or conserve?' (questions like 'should I strip the horrible old paint from the metal parts of mechanism & repaint it' and ' should I have the chrome redone; it is quite badly worn?')
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Hi from foggy Oxfordshire

Post by badpenny »

Hello Retired Martyn, glad you finally joined, we've been waiting ages for you.

I love the thought that your children are groan up ….. don't they all?

It seems you are determined to have your juke box, it sounds like you've replicated a hide-away. Nice compromise.

Was your comment that it plays varicose sounds of the 60s in the right vein?

As for your Payramid, it sounds as if the chrome is bothering you more than anything because you can see it. I guess that's what's important to you. Get some quotes it might put you off.

With the machines you've now got you're on your way to a collection. Bad luck, it's down hill from now on.

BP :cool:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

:WELCOME: to AA (Automatics Anonymous), the self-help group for vintage slot machine addicts who pretend they're trying to give it up. Even with the benefit of anonymity, it takes courage to come out and tell your story, so well done for taking the first step Martyn! Glad you joined us and we look forward to seeing pictures of your half penny Payramid. !!THUMBSX2!!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Welcome the best slot forum named pennymachines anywhere in the world !THUMBS! You are, of course, now obligated to be at the Coventry auction on the 24th March with cash in hand. !!RAYOF!!
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Welcome Martyn and as the chaps have intimated, it is just down hill from now on so enjoy the slippery slope down to the best feeling of nostalgia you will experience with these little mechanical marvels. Do not be put off by comments such as 'oh no not another one!' and 'but they are so ugly! we have all experienced these side effects.

You will find hints and help from many on this site, and also some useful hints and help regarding machines as well, so enjoy. !!THUMBSX2!!

As coppinpr mentioned, don't miss out on the Coventry auction, you will see some great machines there, you may even be tempted to buy something.

ps: Pyramid photos please?
luckystar

Post by luckystar »

Hi Martin, welcome to the forum, would love to see a photo of the Pyramid. I think the Pyramid is one of my favourite games. Was it originally on one old penny? Pete.
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

arrgee wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:14 pm
ps: Pyramid photos please?
Attachments
PYRAMID.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Ha ha, a lot of members don't know it's Payramid. Anyhoo that ones The Great Pyramid of a Geezer who worked for Oliver Whales.
BP
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

badpenny wrote:a lot of members don't know it's Payramid
Unfortunately BP I did, but spelin was always my akilis heel at skool, and it stil is. :!?!:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

problem is automatic spell checkers dont know the word Payramid (thats a much better get out arrgee) :lol:

By the way BP thats not the Great pyramid its the pyramid of Khafre but it is at Giza (that makes us even on proof reading over the last two days :lol: )

Topic continued: My half penny play Payramid - Site Admin.