Atom Gun identified

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
widget2k4

Atom Gun identified

Post by widget2k4 »

Does anyone have any knowledge on this shooting game that was at the Elephant in November please?
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_2d4s.jpg
coppinpr

Re: Shooting game identification

Post by coppinpr »

I don't know who made it but I have seen one like it originally called "Duck Shoot" or "Duck Hunt". I don't know if the maker revamped it to jump on the bandwagon of using the word "ATOM" in the early 1950s or some other company bought them up and re issued them (more likely, as I think the machine is pre 1950). I think it had a rotating disk as a target.
ddstoys

Post by ddstoys »

Does look very similar to Duck Hunt but can’t give any more info.
Attachments
1C9A9CB6-F898-4893-AA06-DE66B59BD39a.jpg
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

Here is an Advert for Duck Shoot. I particularly like the caption!

duck shoot advert.jpg

rneccano

Post by rneccano »

Is it complete, and does it work?
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

I have a Duck Hunt and this is totally different. Where Duck Hunt has static ducks you fire a coin at, but this one has spinning birds that go past the window. It was kind of half working but I will get it working. The targets are hit by very thin rods from the gun. Very tricky by the looks of it.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Those are definitely not the "Duck Hunt" I was thinking of. Like I said, perhaps a similar name like "Duck Shoot", can't remember. The Duck Hunt shown above was, I think, made by ABT Challenger and were very well made and heavy. This is a very different animal, I think tin plate and connecting rods. Does it have an electrical connection for at least lights and to spin the target? A very dark window if not.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

No lights Paul, and it's spun by a spring mechanism. Very well thought out. The birds are white and they can be seen no problem.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

coppinpr wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:04 pm The Duck hunt shown above was, I think, made by ABT Challenger...
The Shoot the Duck - 'Hunter' ball gum vendor was made from 1949 by the Silver King Novelty Co. of Indianapolis, Indiana.

I don't think I've seen one like Widget's, and can't find it in the appropriate American books. I tried a couple of German books too. Steve Hunt hasn't seen one either, describing it as, "The only example we know of - possibly a prototype or perhaps a re-cased earlier machine?"
The yellow "Atom Gun" transfer doesn't seem to match the theme or apparent age of the game.
Attachments
15.jpg
rneccano

Post by rneccano »

I saw it for sale on the Elephant House auction site last year and contacted Roger at Crowriver. This is a copy of what he said;
That is an interesting machine. I have only seen a couple over the years and I don’t know who made it. You would want to make sure it is complete as I don’t know of anyone who might have parts for it. It looks like it would be fun to play and would look cool all dolled up.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Thanks for the help, and I agree with Roger about it being dolled up lol, that's exactly what I'm busy doing to it. :)
dutchboy

Post by dutchboy »

Widget I’m sure I have seen one like this or very similar but can’t remember where it was. Now my brains will crack the coming hours. :#:
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Dutchboy was it not in the Elephant House? lol
dutchboy

Post by dutchboy »

Well as far as I know, it was much longer ago. But I have to say my memory is not getting any better.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Looking for suggestions for a name, if anyone has any, and where to put it. :)
And not Atom Gun, that’s for sure.
Attachments
C493DE08-B0D1-48FF-9E45-226DB726B1Da.jpg
95F5CC21-7EF7-47AA-823A-F7D7C8E44A5a.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Widge, I think you made a huge mistake by not keeping it original with the wrinkle paint. That stuff makes almost anything you put it on look vintage and period. Operators hated glossy machines because they scratched and marked so quickly and then looked terrible. And manufactures also hated high end glossy paint as it meant a lot more finishing work to do. The machines were only meant for a relatively short lifespan so they rushed them out pretty quickly. Well, except for Wurlitzer in their heyday, who were the Rolls Royce of coin-op and overdid everything.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I suspect he does not plan to sell to an operator, but a boys' toys buyer who has a nagging wife.....also I can't remember a single machine left with original paint Widget has done. ;-)

It is a nice paint job though. Why not just call it Duck Shoot?
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Whilst I'm not a lover of gloss paint, I think it's a great job, particularly the crispness of the edges of the black figures and grass. Is there a secret to this other than a steady hand and miles of masking tape? I'm sure we would like to know the technique.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Yeah Tom is right, I don’t do original I like different. :)
It’s never going to be in an arcade as long as I have it, it’s just a bit of fun and I prefer shiny things. lol

Can’t call it Duck Shoot Tom as there is not a duck on the targets lol There’s rabbits, hares, pheasants.

And to top it all off, it works perfect after a few minor repairs. :)

Love it and what a hard game. lol
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

This is the ABT Duck Hunt I was referring to earlier. Like I said, these were very heavy and well made, so not the machine in question, but the artwork was very like Widget's machine. In fact, if you stretch the art on the ABT, it's EXACTLY the same - gun held low, grass, dog looking up, four ducks of various sizes in the same order. Strange but true.

duck hunt.jpg

I couldn't see the gun very well on your photos widg. Does it look original or more of an "Atomic Gun"? Must admit, the thought of blasting hares and rabbits with an atomic gun is hard to imagine. !!FLAMED!!