Sega clone

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
pennywise

Sega clone

Post by pennywise »

Right guys and gals so I picked my next project up today and need help in identifying it as they are no markings. I know it's a Sega but which one? Looking at other machines it's more or less the same as a Berkley inside and out, has really thick glass to see the reels but I'm guessing the reel strips have been changed with the bellfruit on them !PUZZLED! My first one of these, so would be nice if I could find out anything you guys know please, and should it have the Berkley letters on the front? Don't want to start tearing it apart until I know how it should look. |/XX\|
Attachments
20190221_154213a.jpg
20190221_154403a.jpg
20190221_154128a.jpg
20190221_154723a.jpg
coppinpr

Re: Mystery Machine???

Post by coppinpr »

It's not actually a "Sega", it's what is sometimes referred to as a Sega clone (as is the Berkley). Sega mechs re housed in cloned cases, very like the Segas, but the rear top bonnet from an original Sega won't fit on these so there is some difference in the shape. They never have the "Sega" engraving on the front and are slightly "squatter" than the Sega. UK made I think. Tf will soon be along to tell you who actually made them.
They scrub up very well and look the part. Below is one I restored years ago.
Attachments
finished 1.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

It has a Mills Mechanism, which explains the reel strips. These machines used a variety of makers mechs, including Mills, Sega, Las Vegas Coin etc...
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

According to this advert I found on ebay USA, you have a real bargain.... but then again they seem to have made quite a few mistakes in the advert (I do like the way they say they are not "amateurs or hobbyists" so that would make them.....con artists :!?!: )
1930's Vintage Mills Slot Machine-FREE SHIPPING
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

Thanks peeps as I only paid a couple of hindered and looks like I haven't bought a lemon I will go ahead and strip down and clean up and paint. I didn't want to waste my time if rubbish. I have noticed on mine there seems to be the coin surround missing and some kind of white plastic cover behind the glass where you can see the coin escalator. Could any of you guys point me in the direction where I could acquire these parts please as I would like a complete machine. Nothing on ebay, so hoping one of you might have them tucked away somewhere.🤞 p.s should I stay with the same colours or something a bit more crazy? I don't know how easy these are to sell if I change the colours. Many thanks again for your info.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

The coin entry surround should be easy to find (I'd be amazed if TF doesn't have a carrier bag full) - easier to find than the 6d denominator which you still have.

I'm guessing the escalator window has been blocked off because either the original Mills type escalator was replaced with the Shefras roll down escalator it has now or it may have started life with the less troublesome roll down. You would need to take a look and see what it looks like uncovered. It might not be much of a view, the roll down is not a pretty thing. The colour you have is an original colour just a little faded. If I was going to re paint, I'd keep the same colours only darker, but that's me not you. :lol:

You're also missing the original win line pointer to the left of the reel windows. I can see something there, but it looks added rather than original. I can make you a repro of the original if you want.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

My progress has been constantly hindered by this bloody hobby of ours.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Funny I do have a coin entry spare, but not sure which variant it will fit as they do vary. Sega are different to the non Sega and the non Sega also seem to vary. I took one off a breaker machine (now been in Garden for 6 years and looks great in the bushes) and tried to change with another that had mazak attack (common on non Sega machines) and of course was different.....

If I find I will let you know...
Attachments
991EBF0D-4BF4-4658-B2D4-2C04B25E9000.jpeg
991EBF0D-4BF4-4658-B2D4-2C04B25E9000.jpeg (41.82 KiB) Viewed 5355 times
radiochrissie

Post by radiochrissie »

Think I’ve seen your garden at Chelsea last year. :lol:
dutchboy

Post by dutchboy »

Nice machine pennywise, a couple months ago I bought this one. Only mine has Las Vegas written on it. I need two parts for it and will put an wanted advert soon. I like the colours.
Attachments
41F3B7BA-B853-4EDD-BE56-3340CB8EA00B.jpeg
506CC0EB-88EC-448E-A1F4-484401632665.jpeg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

treefrog wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:52 pm (now been in Garden for 6 years and looks great in the bushes)
You followed my guide well TF. I've not been allowed a compost heap since I lived in Coventry, over ten years ago.

BP
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

coppinpr wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:52 pm The coin entry surround should be easy to find (I'd be amazed if TF doesn't have a carrier bag full) - easier to find than the 6d denominator which you still have.

I'm guessing the escalator window has been blocked off because either the original Mills type escalator was replaced with the Shefras roll down escalator it has now or it may have started life with the less troublesome roll down. You would need to take a look and see what it looks like uncovered. It might not be much of a view, the roll down is not a pretty thing. The colour you have is an original colour just a little faded. If I was going to re paint, I'd keep the same colours only darker, but that's me not you. :lol:

You're also missing the original win line pointer to the left of the reel windows. I can see something there, but it looks added rather than original. I can make you a repro of the original if you want.
Thanks Coppinpr, seems to slope down to the right when looking through the window and seems to be set back 1 to 2 inch, so very hard to see when the mechs in place but looks the one for the case as it fits perfect in the screw holes but others I've seen are really close to the window. !PUZZLED! Does have an arrow on the left with pay above and out below so I don't know if this is correct. Now on the paint side I normally get them powder coated as they are more durable, but would you recommend stippled as is or smooth finish? I don't want to ruin it with the wrong paint job. !!THUMBSX2!!
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

treefrog wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:52 pm Funny I do have a coin entry spare, but not sure which variant it will fit as they do vary. Sega are different to the non Sega and the non Sega also seem to vary. I took one off a breaker machine (now been in Garden for 6 years and looks great in the bushes) and tried to change with another that had mazak attack (common on non Sega machines) and of course was different.....

If I find I will let you know...
TF that would be great thanks very much. !!YIPPEE!! P.s I will make it fit :HaHa: :HaHa:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Although your machine may well have started life with the Shefras roll down a nice Mills style escalator should fit straight in as the Shefras was made to fit directly in place of the troublesome Mills if, let's say, you could buy a Mills escalator cheap at Coventry it would look good on your machine.
As to paint, I think either could work. If there are any gouges in the castings the stipple will cover a multitude of sins. The one I showed earlier I stippled and looked so good I'm sorry I sold it now.
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

My thoughts exactly Coppinpr. Just bought a blasting cabinet so I'm going to bead blast it first and see what's underneath the paint, give me an idea which to choose from.👍
brigham

Post by brigham »

I don't believe that to be a Berkeley, the polished side strips are wrong.
You'll have some fun with the reelstrips. There are spurious lemons everywhere, and melons appear to have been entirely eradicated!
pennywise

Post by pennywise »

Not really bothered about reel strips at the mo as there are no melons on the front payout and lots of others don't have the melons, so I'm guessing they wasn't there in the first place. As long as the machine is complete and working with a good clean and a repaint it should look great. It has been bodged on one of the sides, so a bit of sanding and some wrap will fix that problem. Will leave the chrome strips though as it's always nice to have a bit of bling if they clean up. 😁
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

I had one of these Berkeley or whatever it is Sega clones. I had a Sega Bonanza Star once all in bits but complete to a degree and it had a nice escalator which also wouldn't work with the actual mechanism of the clone, nothing married up. As Coppinpr pointed out, a Sega bonnet will not fit these clones either. I then thought I would transplant the Bonanza Star mech into the clone and this wouldn't marry up with the base plate either, so in the end tarted up the clone and punted it on for a good price (it went to France) and I believe the Bonanza Star actually went to Coppinpr for an Aristo swap which sits in my dining room much to my wife's annoyance. I think you should be able to pick up a bonnet by buying just an empty cabinet as they do pop up once in while on fleabay.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Why on earth would you want to spend the time and effort to strip off that almost perfect original wrinkle finish and replace it with something else?! That finish is ridiculously hard wearing, which explains why it survived so well this long, and it's only gotten harder with all the decades. It looks right for the era of the machine because it is right. If you like the idea of hot rodding machines then why not buy one that's already been molested and go for it. I've spent a lifetime undoing fantasy paint jobs on machines that at one time didn't maybe hold a lot of monetary value, so owners used to do the work themselves and go crazy with them. But who knows what will grab the fancy of future collectors, and suddenly they all want them back to original. When it comes down to it how often do you hear collectors get excited that a machine has been goofed around with?
dutchboy

Post by dutchboy »

I agree with gameswat, you will be surprised how it looks after a good clean up. I still can’t push myself for doing the sides of my Jennings Chiefs. Even the loss of the decals on the sides keep pushing me back. :cool: They are only once original.