Jubilee Rivera

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
jimmycowman

Jubilee Rivera

Post by jimmycowman »

Has anyone ever converted a Jubilee Rivera from 2p to old penny?? Am I right in thinking they were made 1971 onwards?
coppinpr

Re: Jubilee Rivera

Post by coppinpr »

Your question seems to contradict itself. You believe the machine was made in 1971 or later. If it was, it could never have been on 1d, as the UK went decimal in Feb 71. !PUZZLED!
brigham

Post by brigham »

I'm fairly sure the RIVIERA model was introduced before (UK) decimalisation, but probably only in 6d. or 1/- 'club' versions.
By the time they reached the penny arcades, the NEW penny will have been in use.
Jubilee made much of the change to New Money in their advertising, seeing it as the 'latest thing'. The others just equipped their machines for the new denominations and got on with it.
There's no reason why a newer machine couldn't be set for an earlier coin. It's a case of 'Are you happy with it?'.
I bought a Jamieson's BINGO table, believing it to be converted to 2np. from old penny. It turned out to be just a stake increase, from new penny, and not a pre-decimal machine at all.
It can't go into my collection on decimal money, so I have the choice of changing it to (incorrect) old penny play, or selling it on.
A dilemma. Has anyone converted a modern machine to old money? Are the consequences liveable-with?
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

Yea thanks for the reply. I have a 2p jubilee Rivera and I am thinking of converting it to 1d. I just wondered what year they came out and has anyone converted one before? I suppose it is a fair question - do you make a machine look older than it is? As far as bandits go, they are on the cheap end, so not much to lose.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Anything is possible Jimmy.
Drilling out the slides to take the bigger coin is feasible as is reaming out the crown of the coin tube to take a wider diameter pay out tube. I think the coins are about the same thickness.
It might get interesting when twiddling with the coin gate acceptor.

BP :cool:
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

You would likely keep its value by retaining it on 2p if you wanted to sell it later on. Some people do like the idea of having a money box in the house and play with coinage in their pocket which is why conversions of Aristocrats etc on 10p/20p seem to sell rather quickly and good prices on ebay.