Help with Win a Crunch

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
treefrog

Re: Help with Win a Crunch

Post by treefrog »

Hi there Doug and welcome. A fine looking Oliver Whales machine you have there. In the US these British machines will always be a little tougher to sell than here, but many come up at auctions and eBay etc....looks a nice machine and in the U.K. would sell for around £400 to £550 at a guess, which is around $700...
dougev

Post by dougev »

Treefrog,
Thank you for the quick reply. I have a person who wants to give me $200 for it. Sounds like I need to get an extra $100 to $150 to give that person a decent whole sale price. I am assuming your 400 to 550 pounds would be a retail price. Is that correct?
Thank you again
Dougev
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

For that money it would be worth selling to a U.K. buyer !OMFG!

There are US and Canadian members on this site who would jump at that price. Key is the machine is not a wreck, but very tidy. In my opinion you should be getting at least $500+
dougev

Post by dougev »

Treefrog,
Thank you again for the information. I was going to sell it for $200 and the buyer was going to pay shipping to the New England area, but based on your excellent input, I will see if I can get $400 for it with him paying shipping. I would be happy with that.
Pretty late at night for you, isn't it???
Regards,
Dougev
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Waiting for the Blood moon.....don’t ask.......
dougev

Post by dougev »

Treefrog,
The person who was interested in my Win a Crunch for $200 didn't like the idea that I was suggesting that I would like $350 for the game and he decided he didn't want it.
I do not need to sell it but if you know of anyone who might be interested, would you please give me a few leads?
I watched the blue moon also, but at a more reasonable time in the night.
Regards,
dougev
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

As mentioned before, if only it were in the U.K. as it would be snapped up for between £350 and £550......

There are a couple of Allwin collectors on your side of the pond, whether they are interested, I don’t know, but are on this site so will see the post. I did ship a machine from the US a few years ago and managed to get it shipped for $100. But it missed customs charges and was slightly smaller.....I am sure if it could be shipped for $500 someone here would probably have a go, so worth checking if you can get a good deal on shipping based of size. If you do, can advertise on this site, I reckon someone would buy, would even consider myself.

It just seems criminal to sell for $200 :shock:
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

very nice looking machine and backflash looks to be extremely good as well, I have no doubt that it would be worth at least £350 - £550 over here.

I see you have a NCR dougev, what model is it?
yaksplat

Win A Crunch

Post by yaksplat »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

I just received my first Allwin machine. A Win A Crunch. It's going to need a little bit of work to get performing correctly, but it seems like everything is in order. But I have some questions...
Keep in mind, I'm a complete rookie here !PUZZLED!

How many balls should be in here? I have 3.
What's the proper size of the balls?
Is it one ball per penny?
And how many balls should trip the prize lever? Looks like it'll take more than one.
What's the best way to get a key for locks like this? The locks are intact , but aren't necessary to open the doors.
Did these originally have glass on them? This one has plexiglass.
I'm sure I could figure something out, but what was the standard size of the chocolate bar?

And here's a picture of the new machine.
Attachments
IMG_20190227_163424a.jpg
13rebel

Re: Win A Crunch

Post by 13rebel »

Hi Yaksplat and well done on acquiring your new baby, it looks to be in great condition. This is an Oliver Whales of Redcar machine probably made around 1954. It should only have one ball in the machine and this is enough to sit on the trip for a win. The size is of ball is 9/16 inch. It is one penny per play. You may find that inside the machine, at one end of the ball run, there is a knurled knob held in place by a grub screw so that it can be adjusted to give a free play on a win. I suspect most operators would not have had it on this mode. It should have glass fitted. I don't know the thickness off hand, but can measure if you need. If you can remove the locks a decent locksmith would probably be able to make keys. Size of bars is a tricky one. You may find someone has one of these and can let you know the size. Failing that, it's a case of experimenting with various bars. Any problems post a photo of the inside.
yaksplat

Post by yaksplat »

Thanks for the response! That makes sense on the ball size. The ones in it are far too small and light. Amazon will have a new one to me in 48 hours.

Is there a good way to smooth out the artwork? There is some warping. It's not horrible but would be nice to flatten. Is there normally anything behind the name Marquee? Or just an empty space? There's a divider from the mechanism portion.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I have the Fry's crunch labels on file, but not the correct size. Although the bar was quite long and wide, it was unusually thin. I'm guessing, but less than a cm. You can pretty much get the length and width from the size of the hole in the slide. Let me know if you need labels.

You can illuminate the top box and it looks good, not actually original but some operators did do it. The backflash can, I believe, be flattened and I think there is a method within the forum somewhere, much the same as correcting warped records with heat I think, but remember you need to remove everything to get at the backflash. You will find it's shrunk and pulled against the pins. Removing it might release a whole new set of problems.
Attachments
frys crunch1.jpg
Last edited by coppinpr on Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
brigham

Post by brigham »

My Whales 'Easy Perm' backflash is the same. I've learned to live with it; they often turn brittle, and start to crack when you handle them.
It had a MBC lamp holder in the top box, even though the artwork was almost opaque. Probably contributed to the warped top flash.
Nice machines, though. Redcar was one of my childhood haunts, so I met most of these 'in action'.
tammy

Post by tammy »

Hi, a lovely machine and I have one myself. The original sized crunch bars, as you probably know, are now not available but, Nestles animal bars should work well... they do in mine! It's worth cutting a piece of wood to go on top of the row of bars and put a weight on it - helps the bars drop down easy. I have screwed a hook into my weight block to help lift it out.

The perspex needs to go, as if left in the colours will change on the picture due to sunlight being badly filtered. I had a lot of original colour sweet prints from out of old magazines and framed them to go on the wall. Within 18 months the ones behind glass were still perfect, whereas the colours had all altered on all the ones behind perspex. Photos are the same, as behind perspex they go pink and lose their colours. The best way I find is to take the complete door to a good glass cutting shop - they should sort you out... usually £6 to £7 now. Don't forget to change the front piece of the small top flash too.

I wouldn't try fattening the backflash, as they are back painted and the paint may at the least start falling off. It doesn't look bad at all. I trust you will enjoy the machine. If you have children or relatives' children, you should find that this machine is very popular and something they will always want to go on. Their comment to me each time is first, 'can I go on the machines?', then, 'is there any chocolate bars in it!!!'

20190228_095036a.jpg

Picture of my weight block I made that helps chocolates fall after each one is vended. Just seen coppinpr's Crunch wrappers... They look good to us on dummy thin wood bars. If you print any out could I be cheeky and ask you to do me a number. If you do, I would gladly send you postages etc.
Thank you
Attachments
20190228_095048a.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Unless the perspex is stuck in the frame somehow, you should be able to simply lift it out without even removing the door as there is a slot at the top. Glass will be a big improvement. If the top glass is too damaged to keep, I can make you a new one.
yaksplat

Post by yaksplat »

Of course I had nearly the entire thing torn down within about 30 minutes of receiving it. It looks like I'm going to need to trim the backflash around the exit hole as it has shrunken, covering part of the hole.

I may just take the playfield and create a new one from it, leaving the original backflash attached to the original playfield. I could get a new one printed on vinyl and fit perfectly to the new playfield.

I love how easy these are to work on.

As far as the bars go, one of my sons has a horrible nut allergy, so we're limited to very few types of chocolate that aren't manufactured in any factory that uses nuts. What I did find is that if go to Canada, I can buy Kit-Kats that were made in Canada and those are 100% safe for him. I'm just outside Buffalo, NY, so Canada is just 14 miles away. I may make a new payout mechanism to handle the current small size Kit-Kats. I'll have to get out my metal brake and warm up the milling machine. !!YIPPEE!!

IMG_20190227_213336a.jpg

IMG_20190227_215524a.jpg

The original colors on the backflash look good.
Attachments
IMG_20190227_223250a.jpg
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

yaksplat wrote:I may make a new payout mechanism to handle the current small size Kit-Kats
Why not just leave the existing mechanism yaksplat and sleeve the existing guides as in the photo below?

Not very attractive, but it retains the original mechanism and dispenses the Kit-Kat without any hassle.
Attachments
R&W-mecha.jpg
yaksplat

Post by yaksplat »

The Kit-Kats are too thick. I could cut the mechanism to make them fit, but the slide is too thin as well. Building a new one will be a fun task.

IMG_20190228_095226a.jpg

Side note: These are the balls that came in the machine. They have designs on them. Does this mean anything to anyone?
Attachments
IMG_20190228_095337a.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

There are at least two backflashes available on the forum. This one is, I think, a different colour to yours. I think the blue rimmed one is sharper than my old one and is on the forum.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

yaksplat wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:58 pmSide note: These are the balls that came in the machine. They have designs on them. Does this mean anything to anyone?
Those are Japanese pachinko balls.

As for the backflash, that's a very nice original so not sure why you would want to replace it? A repro is never going to better it. Because the plastic has shrunken over time you need to release the tension where any pins or screws attach through it and are locking those parts in place while other areas can stretch, which then causes the buckling. I just elongate the holes slightly with a Dremel or re-drill new ones in bad cases, just enough to leave a little bit of wiggle room for any further shrinkage. Looks like you have one bad split on the top lhd, which should be easy to fix by releasing that corner piece and bringing the joint back together. The plastic goes well under the side wood spacers giving you a lot to play with. I've sometimes had to use tiny brass nails to hold down cracks like that if they keep wanting to lift up and stop the ball. But I've also used a clear layer of polycarb over the top of badly warped ones to help keep them flat too.