LED bulbs instead of incandescent on Bally 742a

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
oldukguy

LED bulbs instead of incandescent on Bally 742a

Post by oldukguy »

Hello
First post here, I've already picked up a few tips whilst reading as a guest and have taken the plunge to register.

I recently bought my first slot machine/one arm bandit - a mid 1960s Bally 742A "Money Honey".
It works fine, and I have started to smarten it up.

The incandescent bulbs, according to a Bally EM Manual should all be type #66; I have a mixture of missing bulbs, some working #89 and some working #63s.

Elsewhere I have read about replacing the incandescent bulbs with LED ones - less heat, longer lifespan and think this is what I would like to do.

I would prefer a LED bulb that gives all-round light - like the incandescent ones do, rather than a "flat - topped" LED which would point most of its light in the forwards direction only.

Has anyone else changed their bulbs to LEDs and if so, were you happy with the result and as importantly, where in the UK did you buy them?

Many thanks
coppinpr

Re: LED bulbs instead of incandescent on Bally 742a

Post by coppinpr »

Welcome to the forum,
I've had mixed results with LEDs. The type you need is what I call (but are not really called) jelly cased. These have the diode encased in a solid soft plastic case that allows light in every direction. Your problem will be the fittings. Short of rewiring and putting in new connections I wouldn't know how to do it. The type shown below would also work but with the same problems.
Attachments
light bulb.jpg
light bulb.jpg (24.77 KiB) Viewed 3755 times
oldukguy

Post by oldukguy »

Hi coppinpr
Thanks for your reply; these are ones I have seen in the USA; https://cointaker.com/products/63-super-5 which would avoid the rewiring situation; hoping that someone may have seen similar here in the UK; Google and eBay searches have drawn a blank - unless I'm using the wrong keywords.
Attachments
rs=w 600,h 600.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

They do look interesting. Why not buy them in the USA and have them sent?
radiochrissie

Post by radiochrissie »

Try Phil Palmer at Pinball Heaven, those bulbs are used in Stern pinball machines and he imports them. :cool:
oldukguy

Post by oldukguy »

by coppinpr » Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:46 am

They do look interesting. Why not buy them in the USA and have them sent?
I had thought of that, the shipping cost is about 150% more than the cost of the bulbs, but I've written to them asking if they are prepared to send by regular airmail rather than super express (or whatever), hopefully they'll reply today.
by radiochrissie » Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:40 am

Try Phil Palmer at Pinball Heaven, those bulbs are used in Stern pinball machines and he imports them.
Thanks for the suggestion, I had seen the Pinball Heaven website, but can't see any #63 (or #66) LEDs; he does have a #89 equivalent https://www.pinball.co.uk/spares-access ... top-flash/ . He doesn't take emails unless one has an account, and I don't do FB or Twitter, maybe I'll have to sign up.

He does have an eBay account which has a different style of #89 bulb https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-LED-89- ... 1438.l2649 but when I wrote to him via eBay a couple of weeks ago enquiring about them - but no reply.