Wulff Primus free play help needed

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
pogjones

Wulff Primus free play help needed

Post by pogjones »

Hi all
I have a Wulff Primus circa 1958 working on the old penny. It works and pays out, but also works without putting a coin in. Does anyone know if the free play can be switched off and how this is achieved?
Thank you
Bill.
treefrog

Re: Wulff Primusfree play help needed

Post by treefrog »

The most likely cause of this is a coin jammed in the coin acceptor, which will give free play... Check this first... Do the coins bunch up when adding more in the chute?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

We need a photo of the part of the mechanism the coin sits in when you place one.
It might not be scooping it through so it sits there ready for pulling again.

The full blown model of that machine also has a free play symbol on one of the reels, which engages, but only when the symbol appears in the window, you can't switch it on or off.
Also show us a photo of the mech on the other side of the handle, it might be an issue there.

Has it always done this?
Has it just started doing it?
Had you fiddled with it before hand? ....... if so, what did you do?

BP :didact:
pogjones

Post by pogjones »

Treefrog wrote:The most likely cause of this is a coin jammed in the coin acceptor, which will give free play... Check this first... Do the coins bunch up when adding more in the chute?
I have just removed the mech and tipped all of the coins out of coin tube. There are no coins left in and new coins flow through the accepter slide OK. The machine started on free play for no apparent reason I know of.
Attachments
Coin-mecha.jpg
Coin-mech-2a.jpg
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Does the machine have the free play option on the reel strips? If so, it could be the free play has come up and engaged but has not reset on the following play.
pogjones

Post by pogjones »

Can't see anything that sugests a free play option.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Your machine does not have the free play option - don’t think Primus had them like the Exacta did. In fact more models do not have this feature where an extension bar would run across to trigger the coin acceptor to think a coin had been played when the option is hit on the reels.

If no coin is jammed, the area to look is the actuator bar that is linked to the handle hub at the bottom. In the centre of this hub is a plate that is linked to the coin acceptor and when it detects a coin, holds this plate in position to allow the part that grips the hub to operate.....

Will mark a picture shortly showing each bit... Maybe this plate is not retreating properly.
pogjones

Post by pogjones »

Great stuff thank you.
treefrog

Re: Wulff Primus free play help needed

Post by treefrog »

So below are high level areas to look at... The top coin acceptor has a bar with a hook on, hidden behind plate, which when detecting a coin will pull down the coin and is linked by a rod to the bottom handle hub on a plate in the centre. If this is engaged, it holds the plate briefly and allows the engagement lever on the hub to operate the machine....

EA474BEB-EF05-429E-8BCC-6941CBF10BCD.jpeg
EA474BEB-EF05-429E-8BCC-6941CBF10BCD.jpeg (68.06 KiB) Viewed 4214 times

Closer detail of hub and centre plate and engagement lever.

9B434F52-62F4-43CE-BFA5-D26BD9EDF063.jpeg

This is a machine with free play attached, not relevant to your machine as not in place.

A073F91D-CD32-4223-BFE4-0DCF2A8FCA78.jpeg

pogjones

Post by pogjones »

Thanks I will have a good look tomorrow.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I agree with everyone else in that your machine hasn't the free play option fitted.
The Primus was available with that option, there is one in the next auction which also has a "TILT" mechanism and a Restart on the first reel.

However, I think I might have spotted something in your photos which I think you should investigate before you do anything else.
If you take a good squint at the following enlarged photo of your handle hub ………….

Primus handle mech.png

................ it looks as if the trigger is resting in a cut on the disc that shouldn't be there.

Primus handle mech cropped.png
Primus handle mech cropped.png (56.24 KiB) Viewed 2563 times

I suggest, while watching from the back you just pull the handle and see if the trigger bites into that small cut and activates everything.
If it does, get some course emery cloth or a mild file and smooth it out. The trigger is supposed to engage with the large cut out in the same disc further up on the curve.

BP !THUMBS!
pogjones

Post by pogjones »

I have played with the machine, the coin is holding and releasing when handle is pulled.
I still can’t work out how the handle still pulls when no coin is present.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

If you watch the part as shown in the pictures above, it should not engage when no coin is present. If it does go into the notch and engage the machine, something is not right with this part of the machine, possibly the centre plate in the handle hub assembly, as this is the part linked to the top where the coin is detected. It is what should stop the engagement happening by stopping the lever dropping into the notch. If you're able to take a video while operating the handle so we can see...
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I'm a bit puzzled.
Have you seen my photos at the top of this page?
The catch/trigger I have pointed at shouldn't be digging in where it is, which is why I said emery cloth or file it over to remove it, the trigger should be engaging in the large slot above it which it can only do when a coin is deposited.

BP :didact: