Bally wire and solenoid problem

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
pennywise

Bally wire and solenoid problem

Post by pennywise »

Hi guys ive rebuilt a bally gold award and a couple of things: sometimes locks up when pulling the handle, when you click a credit on its come up 1st game but not triggered the solenoid that unlocks the arm and even when triggered manually the 1st game light stays on and doesnt light up the 2nd game light. The pics show 2 wires that i found taped up so dont know if these should be attached to the bulbs to do the game lights and the other pic shows the solenoid that triggers the arm is there a way of testing these as this doesnt seem to be triggering when clicking credit on but its only a guess as i have no clue on these machine, any help on this would be great thanks.
Attachments
20190324_112820a.jpg
20190324_112746a.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Bally wire and solenoid problem

Post by pennymachines »

pennywise wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:18 pm Hi guys.
I've rebuilt a Bally Gold Award and a couple of things: sometimes it locks up when pulling the handle. When you click a credit on, it's come up 1st game but not triggered the solenoid that unlocks the arm and, even when triggered manually, the 1st game light stays on and doesn't light up the 2nd game light. The pics show 2 wires that I found taped up, so I don't know if these should be attached to the bulbs to do the game lights, and the other pic shows the solenoid that triggers the arm.

Is there a way of testing these, as this doesn't seem to be triggering when clicking the credit on, but it's only a guess, as I have no clue on these machines? Any help on this would be great. Thanks.
Punctuation is important :cool:
pipcaff

Re: Bally wire and solenoid problem

Post by pipcaff »

I had this problem, when I was a kid and had to replace the solenoid, I actually went to an arcade that had the older machines in and asked them if they had spares.
Just a point you should hear a clunk to let you know the solenoid is working just check the return spring is in place they do pop off.
The solenoid can be rewound so don’t throw the old one away it could be possible to get auto electricians to do this that repair starter motors etc
If you do this yourself you must count the number of times the wire has been wrapped around the solenoid when you remove it and make sure you wrap the new wire of the same grade around the same number of times to give you the correct operation .

One last point check that the armature is pressing the contacts together at the back of solenoid and that they are not pitted.
Attachments
F3842BE4-A409-4B35-9185-DA08BA213F59a.jpg
Wiring for play lights  and solenoid
Wiring for play lights and solenoid
03048989-52C7-422F-9ECF-F46D07D61674a.jpg
1B26EAC0-C488-4EF7-ACF6-2698C2EE0FE4a.jpg