EH Online only auctions

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
coppinpr

EH Online only auctions

Post by coppinpr »

Have many people taken a look at the "online only" auctions being developed by EH? Be interesting to see what people think and what functions they would like to see,its an interesting idea at least
URL+REMOVED+BY+SITE+ADMIN#.php
treefrog

Re: EH Online only auctions

Post by treefrog »

I have noticed a number of auction houses abandoning the big auction sites like Salesroom and creating their own. A few of my local places are doing this and only use the big central sites for occasional high end antiques auctions. Part of the reason is cost, where their fees have increased.

I think it is a useful option or addition, although as we all know caution is advised, especially from collectors who are not the most honest people and love to hide their dodgy repairs or faulty parts....It would be good if Steve were able to find time to provide accurate condition reports to support it, but suspect apart from not having the time he would be at risk as people would expect him to know any issues with an item....

I still think it is a shame the two auctions operate 20 miles apart, as 6 hour round trips are more my concern....costs me £60 in fuel for buying £50 worth of spares for example...still at least it is nice to meet friendly people !!THUMBSX2!!
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Only 6 hours Tom ? You lucky sod lol
hiflyer

Post by hiflyer »

It's an interesting concept and I'm looking forward to seeing how it will work. OK if you are a buyer or seller living close to the EH. In my case it's a four hour round trip (on a good day!). As I wouldn't want to bid on something I haven't actually seen and touched it's probably not for me. I'll stick with a chilly day out in the auction room for now.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Interesting that EH says they would continue the live auctions "for the meantime", so the success of the online could kill the live. They say they will open "a few days per week" for drop offs and viewing but that's no good for the likes of us 3+ hours away. A very useful feature would be videos of machines inside and out and working, time consuming but already quite common in the USA and would give at least a level of confidence.
brigham

Post by brigham »

It might be an idea to try enthusiasts' swapmeets, rather than officially arranged auctions.
Most vintage wireless trading works that way, and everyone seems to get to know each other very well.
(Prices are generally lower than those found on sites such as eBay, too.)
dutchboy

Post by dutchboy »

I think it will be great plus for absentee bidders. At the moment it’s very difficult to give a max bid. I did win this weekend a machine but based on one picture and a small discription, so you always have to take the safe side. I think live bidding and more pictures/ discriptions will increase the prices realised. Only it will take a lot of time to put everything online.
sutton

Post by sutton »

Online auctions are not for me. I like to see, feel, touch machines. You can't see everything from a photo. If this happens. it looks like I will be going elsewhere. We always have a choice. The Coventry auction seems to be getting better.
bill gates

Post by bill gates »

Only time will tell if it works or not. For low value items, not a big issue. For machines and such, I have seen many pictures online which flatter machines, only to find in the flesh they are in poor shape. An auctioneer will not list all the faults with an item. Why would they? Just saying.