Job lot at auction

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Re: Job lot at auction

Post by coin-op »

JC wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:17 pm Coin-op, I remember you and I discussed this machine when you first acquired it - didn't one of us suggest Myers, or am I thinking of something else?
Whilst looking for coin mech pics for T, I came across a pic of a Road Test machine. This is what think we must have talked about and I pointed out that the artwork is on the same paper, colours and graphics as on the Climbing game. This machine was badged Ruffler & Walker, so on reflection, this must have been why I had R & W in mind.
Attachments
IMG_0121a.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I see there's one of these climbers at Morphy's April 13 sale, called the Palm Climbers, with two turbaned indigenous tree climbers. They identify it as Ruffler & Walker, which seems to fit. It will be interesting to see how the price compares...
A 1940s English mechanical game with a money back feature produced by Ruffler and Walker, also known as The Jungle Tree Climb. Two players use the wheels to race the figural climbers up the palm tree. The instructions read "Place 2p in slot" but the coin mechanism is designed to accept quarters. Appears to be in original condition, displaying age related wear throughout, some paint loss and remnants of clear packing tape is on the glass front. In non-working order, requiring some maintenance to be fully operational.
Attachments
PalmClimber.jpg
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Re Morphys overseas coin-op 'expert' and valuer, and bear in mind who's doing it for them SkEpTiCaL
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Who is the overseas expert !PUZZLED!

The palm tree climber is a much better name and unless they did what Coinop did by changing the name, maybe a genuine alternative name used. Given coconut tree climbing is a known way of life in south east asia, there is even competitions and a world championship. Maybe I will make up a similar label for mine. I think if I am mistaken there is a badge just above the cash box door, maybe a ruffler and Walker one, but of course they used these often with the words “Supplied by”

I wonder if the backflash has been changed on this as well as the metal sheet is shiny new and artwork slightly fresher. Also I notice yet again the Britains lead animals in this machine as well as the Road Test. These are wire tied to the base and I would be 99% certain are original to the machines, too much of a coincidence whether out of scale of not ;-)

4FE71720-55BE-4C6F-9089-AA7B03B4D9F5.jpeg

There are so many British floor standing machines in the US, trouble is they seem to be appreciated as do not go cheap there. Of the 3 Ahrens machines, one looks unusual and could not find in Braithwaites book, “Cable Ways”, unless it was called something else.....looks to be a cable car racer maybe up each mountain !PUZZLED!

28523084-B62C-4329-A370-3704BAB04608.jpeg

treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Finally found a use for paintshop pro, well at least something I am capable of doing as it is a stupidly complex piece of software !!JUNK!!

feel politically correct now. :cool:
Attachments
E44F2BAE-1DB1-46E8-88FA-E98BF2D00363.jpeg
gameswat

Climbing Monkey's maker

Post by gameswat »

Whilst looking through the Arcades and Slot book I came across the following:
Wright, R. & Sons. Bridlington.
Climbing Monkeys - race game - 1949
Info from Coin Slot article by Nic Costa: 02/07/1983
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Putting the R&W two player Road Test beside the Palm Climbers (both in the Morphy auction), it's evident that they're from the same stable. That doesn't settle who made them though.
Attachments
RW2.jpg
JC

Post by JC »

Whilst looking through the Arcades and Slot book I came across the following:
Wright, R. & Sons. Bridlington.
Climbing Monkeys - race game - 1949
Info from Coin Slot article by Nic Costa: 02/07/1983
I believe the Climbing Monkeys machines attributed to R. Wright & Sons, of Bridlington, are those that utilised Exhibit Supply Co 'Hi-Ball' cases. We sold one at Coventry a few years back - I'm sure I have a picture somewhere......just don't know where. I'm pretty sure I remember Chris Parcell telling me that they also produced the 'Balloons' machines.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Lot 88 from 25th Nov. 2012?
Other examples of that game here.
Attachments
Climbing Monkeys
Climbing Monkeys
Hi-Ball
Hi-Ball
brigham

Post by brigham »

The 'Monkey Climbers' are neither monkeys nor men, but boys.
They are known as 'Coconut Monkeys' because of their amazing agility in tree climbing (or 'swarming').
The American 'Pin Monkey' has a similar derivation, as does the naval 'Powder Monkey'.
Doubtless a relief to the Vegans, in the case of the Coconut Monkey, as otherwise another useful and versatile renewable would have been closed to them!
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

I’m always interested in the provenance of the machines. Does anyone know if these were previously owned by a collector or whether they’re arcade ex-stock. 🤔
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Well I have resolved my issue not having access to how the coin return system works, as I bought another machine.

6FF43BEB-298A-47EF-93D4-EC1D62B96037.jpeg

This machine although looking in a poor state is complete, including all the coin return system. Also I found all the original keys for every lock, in fact two keys for each one. The only thing that needs to be done is to replace the lower ply panel holding the mechanism and one pine cross member. The machine is identical to the one I have already and has the same artwork and animals, although a slightly different selection.

321605D3-837B-4AE6-B944-E9B40AFDCDD3.jpeg

Also have maintenance instructions on the rear door. Interesting they use fishing cord which should be waxed. The spare reel supplied with the machine is still inside. Looking forward to this project. !!

D364AD25-6E13-47E8-A097-314683A8D12A.jpeg

cheeky

Post by cheeky »

Looks great T. 😉