Coventry Spring Auction (24/03/19)

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
oxford allwin fan

Re: Live from Coventry

Post by oxford allwin fan »

Well, I can confirm that both those posted 'results' and the postee were absolutely 'live' at yesterday's auction, which I had the pleasure of attending..

Some lovely machines -must admit I was tempted by the Bryan's Gap- but it was tooo much, but I found consolation in the purchase of a 'pinball' book and a nice German Primus bandit instead -if one can mention such alien things on this esteemed site

Nice to have met Paul C and Paul V and a few other of you lovely lot.. Here's to next time!
coppinpr

Re: Coventry Spring Auction (24/03/19)

Post by coppinpr »

Well Im home and would like to thank the two "J"'s for another good auction,I just wish they would accept a little more help! By the end Jerry was clearly very tired and BP was comatose (I think,job to tell from normal).
Clearly some bargains (including 2 Bryans machines, a Mills Poinsettia and a castle front) while some lots reached higher than expected.
I sold all my entries and was pleased to be the winner of the Rok-ola Jigsaw. It was a busy day for me as I was bidding for four people inc myself,a German collector and a Dutch restorer (so I now have the circle skill and a VERY nice Shield catcher waiting to ship out) I was also trying to update the forum and my German bidder while waving my bidding card in the air..
Being a Bandit man myself the star of the show was the un sold Jennings solid front,This was indeed a 1948 model and one of the first of the Jennings chrome models we know so well, Chrome was very good and it had an unusual "wild" feature, An indian head on the first reel matched with the next two reels paid that amount ( head-orange- orange = 3 oranges, head -Bell- Bell= 3 bells right up to the jackpot) The case was the small jackpot type which,I at least think, looks best. Met lots of nice people and had a great curry in Coventry,November is already on the horizon ,Thanks again for the day !!YIPPEE!!
bill gates

Post by bill gates »

Well done to the organisers for holding this spring auction and giving people like myself the chance to add more clutter to our collections. I bought a little Columbia slot machine which I have already started tinkering with! I am also a bandit man, the wild Indian did look nice, however, my pockets were not as deep as they normally are, so had to leave it. Paul, I was the chap you were talking to about the wild Indian feature.....I thought the Chinese front Jennings was a good price at £850, especially when you consider the clubman didn’t sell, even with a £700 bid on it. Roll on November !!CHEERS!!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I must say once again that the beer is excellent at the auction !!THUMBSX2!!

Yes thanks the J’s enjoyed the day, sold lots of stuff and was very tempted with a number of machines and thought there was a good mix to choose from....especially the Tura as I like the unusual, which seem to reach a good price.

Look forward to the next one
shiny penny

Post by shiny penny »

Would like to add my thanks to the organisers, an enjoyable day and the beer is good and much cheaper than round our way.
Great to meet so many friendly people and to say hello to Paul who I thank for his valuable advice. I now have my first Bryans - the 3 ball 9 cup and I like my Parkers Wild West. The wife is developing her right bicep on the Jennings Chinese front? The Jubilee could do with a new base board but would have to remove the mech for that so probably just add a piece of ply - it still works well. Perhaps see some now more familiar faces on Sunday?
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Well I have been at most Coventry auctions and writing rubbish on this forum for 10 years and still only know a small number of the associated names here in the flesh.....I put an association to two members from for the first time on Sunday, purely by asking....Longobongo and Moonriver......most people I ask have never heard of the forum or rarely log in.... another reason why no one can be arsed to wander around with a badge on their chest... For some reason I have been associated with the man with the iPad, although notice Paul can grab that one now. :D
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Catalogue with realized prices (based upon Coppin's notes) now in the Arena. I'll fill in the blanks when JC publishes the full results.

Unfortunately, for the first time ever, I was unable to go, but well done to JC, BP, the team and all who attended.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

IMG_6821.PNG

Well, I finally had the chance of taking a look inside some of the 'bargains' knocked down at the end of the auction that I had the misfortune of buying having not looked inside them on the day, but bought last minute, viewing from a distance as I stood in the queue to pay, seemed cheap enough.
I might have expected someone from eBay moving this one on, or a teenage kid with no coin-op experience whatsoever thinking he's done a great job, but this machine has seemingly been 'done up' with the intention of selling at the Coventry auction. New cheap locks and false plastic coin tray front with a flat piece of aluminium the coins are supposed to slide down but don't (as the missing coin tray had the coin chute built in).
All the coin slides wobble about and jam, perched on bits of aluminium tube cut into short pieces of varying lengths that could never have worked. The vendor would have been better simply presenting an honest machine minus the parts it needs, instead of this total bodge that they appear to think is a job well done but clearly demonstrating the lack of basic mechanical knowledge.
ilovemyjukebox

Post by ilovemyjukebox »

Oh dear, someone has the hump...
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Nothing new there, teach him to look first in future. Also that machine was sold DURING the auction not after, so no excuse for not looking. :lol:
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Well we have all had this experience, not just at Coventry, but Elephant and other collectors' sales.... It still happens to me today however much advice gets passed to others...

As long as the mess is recoverable, I just write it off as yet another experience.

Was trying to guess the machine and still not sure based on what was at the auction. Looks like Bell Fruit slides to me. There was only one machine there, but the slide numbers don’t match the payout. !PUZZLED!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I was approached by one of the Elephant House organizers at the last sale to help a lady who'd just bought a French allwin. She wanted to know how to make the ball release work. Unfortunately, as the coin handling and ball release parts were missing I could only advise that this would have to be fabricated by copying another example - not a straightforward task. I suggested, if she wanted to try, she came here for help, but fear the experience may have put her off vintage slots for good. Fortunately, the price she paid somewhat reflected the condition of the allwin.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Fortunately, the price she paid somewhat reflected the condition of the allwin.
As did the price of the bandit above
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

If it was that little yellow French Allwin, this had been in two auctions and clearly stated in the description parts were missing. That is the key, if a seller describes a machines in complete working order and it is not the case, that is what affects people’s confidence and provides frustration.

I have always added 'good working condition' on machines I have sold I am happy to believe is the case. Whereas I may put down 'project' or not suggest working if not the case, especially electrical items.

Of course there may be different perception of 'good working order', against another’s opinion.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Yes, that was the one. Description says, "missing coin entry chute but otherwise appears complete". The ball release mechanism was also missing, so not a simple matter of fabricating a coin chute.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

No matter what you are buying at a live auction one can only feel confident when staying within one's own skill set.
Use the description as a guideline to choose what to look at.
Choose what to look at in order to decide what you want to bid for because it's within your skill set to cope with
Finally decide how much you're prepared to pay for each item on your list. Then away you go.

By attending an auction you have every opportunity to check out everything to your satisfaction.
Or to walk away because for whatever reason(s) that troubles you.

In my mind that's essential and why I rarely buy anything from eBay nor leave a commission bid at live auctions.
Several years back I was at a live auction with TF we had a gander at a couple of Günter Wulff bandits.
The cases were held together by the woodworm linking arms …..the "Mazac metal moth" had taken a firm hold of the internals and there wasn't more than a few springs between the lot.
Not even fit for spares really.
However in the photos they looked passable, so when the Internet bidders took the first machine over £100 bidders in the room who'd clearly passed them by without a glance enthusiastically leapt in and they went even higher. When the second one came up the internet bidders went crazy and started throwing telephone numbers at it.
A lot of people learnt a lot of lessons that day. TF and I had a good laugh.

BP :didact:
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

IMG_6833.PNG

The 'Cop-A-Lot' in question. I don't have any problem taking a punt on buying machines unseen, (in this case from the queue), and I am quite capable of making it right. I also don't have any criticism at all in the auction process, its all part of the fun.
Two of the other last min 'bargains' I also bought from the queue have a back door and bonnet missing I couldn't see from my vantage point, and were just one of those things. The parts weren't there and that's that.

The point I'm making is that the above machine had been prepared for sale, a good deal of effort taken to do up the case, paint over the payout tray, touch up paint loss on the top glass, fit new cheap locks and keys, cut various bits of aluminium tube of varying diameter and length and fit them inside each other, then fasten them to the slides in a vain attempt to make it work, and hand cut out slots in the wrong flat lock cams. The vendor went to such effort to create this and obviously thought it was a good job.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

look,, we all know the machine was mine(if your going to claim you didnt then you must be the only one on this site who didnt as the machine was shown on the site at least four weeks before the auction), and a lot of people on this site( according to the private messages ive received) know this is about you being rude to me, (as you always are,I dont know why,but you are) you only have to read the wording of your original post to see that,as in the past it doesnt bother me but lets get the facts straight, you did NOT buy this machine from the queue,(BP can confirm this) you bought it during the auction and others (who presumably bothered to look in advance) also bid on it, you were not the only bidder,you simply bid on something you hadnt looked at so dont pretend it was a spur of the moment bid from the queue and your expert eye couldnt see the problems at that distance. But lets ,just for moment, consider if you HAD bought from the queue,are you saying you thought you were buying a perfect machine,that no one had bought during the auction proper for £230 ?? If so you must think everyone in the auction was a fool for missing a bargain.you should have looked at the machine,seen anything you dont like, and not bought it,simple as that! Impossible as you may think it is.you made a mistake, all us mere mortals do it sometimes, but then again, as your last post is rushing to make clear,this is not about buying a machine that wasnt what you expected is it? .Also,what makes you think I made all the changes? some I did some I didnt. Have another rant if you like, I wont reply. :cool:
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I suspect it is one of the risks in ever posting pictures on this site, as if you notice how many regulars ever post anything about their machines on this forum...... Very few......they of course they probably don’t want you to see.....there are only a few of us that ever do :#:
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

oh, was it yours? and there was me thinking you knew all about restoring bandits.
!!>*<!!