Saxony Allwin Deluxe (reserve) identified

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
lukas590

Saxony Allwin Deluxe (reserve) identified

Post by lukas590 »

Yesterday I bought this Allwin De luxe. Please, what is the original lock there? The bottom plate with the lock is missing. Does anyone in the collection have exactly the same machine? Which is the year of production? Thank you for the information.
Attachments
s-l16002.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Saxony Allwin Deluxe (reserve) identified

Post by pennymachines »

Hi Lukas,

You'll find variations of your game dotted around the Forum if you search for "Allwin Reserve" and "Allwin Deluxe".

It was made in the 1930s by Jentzsch & Meerz of Leipzig, Germany.

Most of what we know about them is here: Seven mysteries of the Saxony allwin

This page shows a close-up of the type of a Ruffler & Walker brass lock that may have been on both the mech and cash door. Originally, I guess they were German, but Yale and Union 'cylinder till' or 'drawer locks' of a similar design are still widely obtainable.
Attachments
Union 4004.jpg
lukas590

Post by lukas590 »

What brand and what lock does the original belong to?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Actually, I was giving you duff info. The R&W lock wasn't made by Ruffler & Walker, as JC pointed out in the post below the one I linked you to:
JC wrote: Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:48 pm Many believe that the R&W stands for Ruffler & Walker who were large distributors of penny slot machines. I recently discovered that this is entirely wrong - the R&W just happens to be the initials of the lock manufacturer.
After all, why would an amusement machine distributor be making locks? I've been unable to ascertain who did make these, but they're almost certainly British.
As I said, it seems reasonable to assume that J&M would have exported these allwins complete with German locks, but of what make I do not know. You sometimes see them with a shielded lock as pictured in this post (and below).
Attachments
G-lock.jpg