Aristocrat Clubman & Clubmaster

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Aristocrat Clubman

Post by pennymachines »

Bob wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:47 am Thank you Mr Pennymachines, it's a fantastic resource to have.
And thank you Bob for your comments and great contributions again. I've added the MK2 Coronet posted by Gameswat to the Pokies Gallery, changed the dates on the two Clubman machines on the Ainsworth page and added the design paperwork.

Before reading your post I'd decided that the fancier Clubman in the Gallery had to be later because it makes the others look a bit crude and dull by comparison and has more in common with the later Clubmaster. Adding your photos to the little flyer images and the photo I'd previously found, it's apparent that the Clubman evolved through 'machine without a name' to Clubman, New Clubman, flashier MK2 Clubman Aristocrat, before being superseded by the Clubmaster.
Attachments
5-clubman.jpg
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

Mods feel free to move as it's not about the Coronet. Moved - Site Admin.

There are Clubmaster with and without the bridges in the casting as part of the reel glass window. Are those without these sections later cost saving versions formed from different mould or an other reason?

Sega made Hitop versions with and without these bridge features.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I noticed the machine marked as Clubman MKII has no name other than Aristocrat on it and seems to differ a lot from the Clubmaster and Clubman. Also the patents this machine was submitted by Thomas Lavelle from Luna Park and not by Ainsworth at his factory. Is it an assumption this is in fact a second generation Clubman and I am sure someone mentioned previously there was a machine called the Aristocrat. Anyway it is my favourite of the three.

Aristomatic, my assumption the reel posts are earlier machines, as with Mills and Sega Hi Tops. As to why they dropped them, maybe cleaner modern look and easier to see the reels as these machines pre date back lighting.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

treefrog wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:24 am Anyway it is my favourite of the three.
Mine too. I'm coming to the same conclusion - the Aristocrat model would surely carry a Clubman badge if that was its moniker. I think the various sources that identify it as a Clubman may be mistaken.
Arcade-history.com has it as the Clubman of 1953, "Ainsworth's first gaming machine... manufactured in Rosebery in 1953 initially at the rate of 2 a week", and lists the earlier bandit as New Clubman of 1954. Arcade-museum.com also lists a Five Way Special of 1953 but without images or further detail.

I've now adjoined this topic to our previous Clubman/Clubmaster discussion in which andydotp said:
andydotp wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:49 pm Actually there was a machine prior to the ClubMan - called The Aristocrat which prompted Ainsworth Dental Supplies to change its company name to Aristocrat.
But as Bob said, the documents show the true chronology is (as we suspected, based on appearance alone):
Design 33,556 - Clubman, 1954
Design 33,722 - Aristocrat, 1955
Design 37,259 - Clubmaster, 1958

This does not rule out the often-stated claim that the first Clubman was built in 1953.

Arcade-history.com lists Clubmaster as 1956 and Clubmaster Deluxe as 1958. Anyone know the difference between these models?
treefrog

Re: Aristocrat Clubman & Clubmaster

Post by treefrog »

pennymachines wrote: Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:29 amArcade-history.com lists Clubmaster as 1956 and Clubmaster Deluxe as 1958. Anyone know the difference between these models?
Not sure, but there is something in my head that the Deluxe may have been chrome plated as I am sure I have seen at least two of this type, but as usual could be talking rollicks.....

Thomas Lavelle appears to have been Ainsworth main Sales person maybe based in Luna Park area and was said to have come forward with the Aristocrat name for the company.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

A forum member posted a PM question to me with some help on his Clubmaster and was concerned based on a post redacted in this thread that it was not PC to talk about Aristocrats.....now although some would always want that to be the case....it has occurred to me how easy it is to put off potentially keen coin op fans posting with in fighting between sad old members on here. So put my hands up I am a c#ck and instead of replying in a PM will do so here so everyone can see me eat humble pie.....(not posted their ID as they may not want it)
!!!!!! wrote:Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:17 am Subject: Aristocrat Clubman & Clubmaster
treefrog wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:26 pm edited this post due to moderator advise that the same thing had been mentioned twice in 5 years. Will promise not to post any single thing relating to Australian machines again, write 500 times :#:
HI Treefrog,

Havent been on the forum for sometime and I remember from a year or so ago and also this post of yours about a rule not to discuss Aussie machines?

I'm just after a few pics of the inside of a clubmaste for restoration purposes, if you can help?
I need to see the inside with out the mechanism to see how the handle retrun works and is hooked up.
Also what the barrel locks on the middle and coin tray lock onto, if that makes any sense?

Sorry if this isn't the best way to ask, just wasn't sure on the rules?
So I answer to your question on handle, see picture below.....

265D1D19-B191-401A-9AEA-D5710FC199Fa.jpg

In terms of locks, Aristocrat use Australian locks by Lockwood. Never been able to trace them and assume disappeared or taken over years ago and often replaced. A good replacement is the longer version of the Lowe and Fletcher locker lock with a 22mm barrel and 15mm diameters, still made and around £10 to £12 each.....if you can’t find in Aus will send link, I know there is a supplier in eBay in U.K. and many locksmiths..

Lockwood original

DC3DA2E8-9D44-4F98-89CE-3C69FDAD210a.jpg

L&F replacement

E5B08A6D-2A6C-4F38-AC86-AD9D726E31Ba.jpg

6B10282C-5F10-4213-AB55-F8FC11D4DE7a.jpg

DE5DBB83-E9E3-420F-907A-FB8E5B436F3a.jpg

I apologise for earlier posts and please do join in the fun....
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

treefrog wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:20 am Aristocrat use Australian locks by Lockwood. Never been able to trace them and assume disappeared or taken over years ago and often replaced.
Lockwood well and truly still running and a huge Aussie company! Here those locks are like weeds and everywhere. I've taken heaps of them out of old lockers and desk drawers etc being thrown away.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Yes, I think I knew the brand was still there, but was unsure if taken over as they have another brand Abbloy along side them.....

Trouble is most manufacturers do not make the older style locks, although Yale and Union still produce ranges once used on slot machines. Lockwood do not seem to do the locker style anymore. If you get loads of them, I hope you grab them, if they have keys ;-)

Also the other issue is it is staggering how expensive new locks are, when people gripe about paying money. Eg Yale till style furniture locks often used in Allwins are around £60+ retail new....
drphat

Post by drphat »

Thank you very much Treefrog!

The handle mech design is different, see my pic, mine seems to have an extra few linkages plus the device hanging from the top of the cabinet.

ACM1a.jpg

acm2a.jpg

Appreciate the lock pics as that has cleared it up. This has barrel (cam) locks but do not lock onto anything. And I couldn't work out why there were two lugs either side!

acm5a.jpg

acm4a.jpg

If I can't get them here, I would really appreciate the link to buy in the UK.

Thank you so much, and the last pic is my version of your Starlite!!
Attachments
Starlita.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Lovely Starlite and the no so common matching stand, looks fantastic condition !!THUMBSX2!!

I do have another Clubmaster, but in storage, but fairly certain it will be the same as the one I have already. Not sure on yours, looks like the attachments should be linked to the part attached at the top of the cabinet, almost like there should be a pump there. But I thought Aristocrat introduced the pumps after the Sheerline/Starlite style of machine. There needs to be some kind of spring return as well. I know there are a few other Clubmaster owners on here who maybe able to check.

The lock is a dead lock and just engages over the lip of the door as per pictures....I hope whoever fitted the cam lock on yours did not drill the hole bigger, which I am suspecting may have been done as they are larger than these locker style locks. Both locks should be same size.....funnily after I posted this, someone stuck one on eBay on a buy it now for £5.....problem from here will be postage. Maybe Gameswat may be able to advise if they are plentiful down there...
Attachments
C1746A40-FEEA-4C0E-A931-B5F86BEB895a.jpg
E7855F5F-A2B9-413B-96A9-0A41587653Aa.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

You can buy the newer squared body versions brand new with two keys for $20 on Aust eBay.https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LOCKWOOD-CA ... SwVtZZ6cD4
Attachments
LF-lock.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I’ll have 6 :lol:

Couldn’t find these on current lock product list and maybe new old stock judging by packaging.....if only shipping wasn’t so high would have been tempted.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

!!!!!! wrote:Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:17 am Haven't been on the forum for sometime and I remember from a year or so ago and also this post of yours about a rule not to discuss Aussie machines?
Just to clarify again - I've no objection to Australian bandits (or any other kind) being discussed on the Forum. Nor do the moderators as far as I know. I don't know where this idea came from. On the contrary, I've spent hours researching the subject and am always grateful for new snippets of information. As far as I know, no posts were redacted. I can't think why they would be.

If someone asks a question that's been asked before, they may be directed to an answer, or I might merge the post with an answer, but repeat questions are to be expected. Far from being a problem, they often tease out new information.

Take it easy and post freely. !!RELAX!!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Confused.com !PUZZLED! I think you need to re-read posts and PM’s
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Re-read, but enlightenment remains unattainable. No matter.
drphat

Post by drphat »

Thanks Guys.

The Starlite was in fair to poor shape and the stand, thought id never find one, was in very bad shape. Happy with the end result, just need to find someone to print the 2 Shilling sticker, original is like a foil type material.

Thanks Gameswat, bought two locks today. And the middle hole has been drilled but ill find a fix, rather have the proper lock.
ill post some photos when complete.

Look forward to someone helping with the handle return.

Mick
bill gates

Early Aristocrat

Post by bill gates »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

This has just come up on Facebook. Not seen one before. Any info?
Attachments
B86DAF8B-406A-4E4F-9E54-BC32D14015Ca.jpg
treefrog

Re: Early aristocrat

Post by treefrog »

Already talking to the guy as you may have seen......good to see one at last.

Hopefully he will post some more pictures.........somehow I cannot see me being able to persuade him to sell it to me :#: Not that I have tried, but would love to own this baby....even if a bit distressed.
Attachments
Aristocrat.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Early Aristocrat

Post by pennymachines »

bill gates wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:01 am Any info?
Now merged above.
bill gates

Re: Early Aristocrat

Post by bill gates »

Interesting stuff. Thanks. !SMARTY!