Sega console wiring diagram

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
peterjong

Sega console wiring diagram

Post by peterjong »

Hello everybody,
Two weeks ago I bought an old slot machine.
I want to restore it to its original state. As you can see, the former owner(s) has changed quite a bit.
The question is: can somebody help me to find the wiring diagram for this machine?
Hope for a satisfying answer.
Greetings,
Peter de Jong
Attachments
20150601_114625.jpg
20150608_214230.jpg
20150608_214249.jpg
20150608_214418.jpg
20150608_214443.jpg
treefrog

Re: Sega console wire diagram

Post by treefrog »

Welcome to the forum,

Well not seen one of these before, but I have seen one very similar, but of a 4 reel Hi Top which was on ebay about 4 years ago. Very similar inside to yours and also had the 1 to 5 player feature, which I am sure adds to all the electric gubbins in the machine. Probably came from the same factory,..

Not sure you will have luck with a wiring diagram, but who knows.

Mills Hi Top Quad Reel Console on Ebay
Attachments
4-reel2.jpg
4-reel3.jpg
4-reel3.jpg (38.43 KiB) Viewed 5370 times
dcbrown

Re: Sega console wiring diagram

Post by dcbrown »

Reviving an old thread but this is exactly the machine I'm struggling with. I bought a Sega Console. Condition was non-working working and locked with no keys. Was able to get the upper cabinet open, clear out some scattered coins and get it working for basic functions at least. After forcing some winning combinations, it didn't appear to pay out on the big jackpots, but I was able to empty the coin tube paying out small wins.

I eventually got the lower cabinet open and filled the coin tube from the back and tried it again. Now the machine showed " TILT" on the top box and I could pull the handle repeatedly, spinning the wheels without putting any coins in. It would no longer pay out even when forced to stop on a winning combinations. The machine stayed like this for a while as I tried a variety of things to fix it . Eventually it hit a big jackpot and actually paid out and that seemed to fix it for a few cycles. Now I could only pull the handle after putting in coins. But this only lasted for a couple of cycles, and now it is locked up. No response to dropping a coin, can't pull the handle and spin the wheels.

This machine has a lot of electro-mechanical features that I can't find any information about. Any advice?
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Welcome, I will not be able to help as never been near one of these machines....perhaps safe some pictures as to which machine you're referring to. Try to see if I had any diagrams of the Sega Console and found the below from their catalogue, but may not help much and may not be the same...
Attachments
sega-parts1.jpg
sega-parts2.jpg
dcbrown

Post by dcbrown »

Most of the more complex assemblies are labelled.
In addition to the bank of relays there is:

Multi Unit
Counter Unit
Cam Unit

The OPs pictures are identical to my machine. His first pic shows a good "floor plan" of the electro-mechanical systems. Clockwise from the back:

10-11 o'clock Multi Unit
1-2 o'clock. Cam Unit and transformer
5-7 o'clock. Bank of relays
8-9 o'clock Counter Unit

This is a multi player set-up. Payouts vary depending on the number of players. Mine is labelled as machine #5. Not sure if all machines would have been identical, or if one machine was the master. There is a place to set number of players, so I will try to change it to single player and see if that works.
dcbrown

Post by dcbrown »

Set it to single player and no change, but then manually activated the Hold relay and it accepted coins and allowed a complete cycle. Now it seems to be accepting coins. Not sure if the single player is the difference, or if the Hold relay just needed a nudge. Maybe a shorted coil that is weak but not completely useless???
radiochrissie

Post by radiochrissie »

The relays in these machines can have you up the wall when fault finding. If the machine has been kept in a damp environment then you will need to check and repair each relay in turn. If you don’t do this then you will find that the faults change each time it runs.
Good luck.
dcbrown

Post by dcbrown »

Appreciate that advice radiochrissie. Will clean up the relays before getting in too deep on this.

Thanks treefrog for the diagrams. I'm not sure if this matches my machine. Could be the "Counting Unit".

Since things are working at the moment I'll be going through and take some notes on what normal operation seems to be. I'd like to put together a "functional diagram" at least. Since I'm a bit of a newby, any information from more experienced people on the forum would still be greatly appreciated. Are any of the subsystems used on other machines?
dcbrown

Post by dcbrown »

This is the "Multi Unit" that seems to be malfunctioning. As multiple coins are played it seems to c correctly advance from 1 to 2 to 3 players and the payouts are correctly multiplied according to the payout table. Doesn't reset to zero like I would expect though. If I keep inserting coins it will count back down to 0 and then be reset and playable.

The lower solenoid activates with each coin drop. Have never seen the solenoid on the right do anything, so maybe that's the problem? Any suggestions for a replacement coil?

Sega Multi Unit
Sega Multi Unit

The Cam Unit. Not sure what its function is exactly. It's normally obscured by the cash box.

Sega Cam Unit
Sega Cam Unit

Here's the main bank of relays. Conveniently labelled.
There is some "white rust" corrosion but everything seems to be working at the moment. I'll clean the contacts and give the steel parts a cosmetic cleaning.

Bank of relays
Bank of relays

The Counter Unit. Looks a lot like the Multi Unit but this one counts the coins when paying out.

Sega Counter Unit
Sega Counter Unit

radiochrissie

Post by radiochrissie »

Yes that coil and the bottom coil look fried, they have almost certainly gone shorted turns.
Disconnect each coil and replace with a 1k resistor, then check across said resistance to see what voltage, if any, is across them. Once you know this then it is possible to make your own coils. Unless someone on here has a better idea, this may be the only way forward.
dcbrown

Post by dcbrown »

Guess I'm a little slow to catch on... How does this help with winding the new coil? Would have expected to count turns and measure the wire gauge on the old coil. Wouldn't the voltage just determine the insulation required?
radiochrissie

Post by radiochrissie »

Sorry, yes, you are correct. What I would say is not to count the turns but unwind the complete coil and measure its resistance, and length. You will then have a guide to what your new coil resistance should be. This can also verify that the replacement wire you use is of the correct gauge by comparing the resistance.
dcbrown

Post by dcbrown »

That I can understand. Should I expect these to be DC or AC?

I should add that I'm in the US, and running on 110V. The machine takes US nickles. Don't know if it was converted from 220V or if it came from the factory that way. Since most of the solenoids are working OK I figure it's not a problem.
radiochrissie

Post by radiochrissie »

It would be 220 or 110 depending on its primary taping, which I would check has been correctly set. The voltage will almost certainly be a/c on the coils. I like to work the voltage out so I can then know what current should be drawn when I make new coils, but I’m funny like that. !PUZZLED!

Of course you could check across other coils to see if it’s a/c or d/c, but beware, some of these Segas use a variety of different coils requiring different voltages. :shock:
livinginthepast

Post by livinginthepast »

I see a Williams pintable coil used as a reset coil on that stepper unit which I think ran on 24volts ac. Looks like Williams coils could be used to replace any burnt out relay coils. Check the coils first with a meter, as the coils often look discoloured with the paper wrappings burnt off.
dcbrown

Post by dcbrown »

Thanks for the tips. I was hoping there would be just a few common Sega coils that they used everywhere, that would make for convenient replacements. Nothing's ever as simple as I hope for. Never wound a coil before, but it doesn't look too challenging.

Wait... I see livinginthepast's post popped up while I was typing. Maybe there's hope for an easy solution. I might even have access to some surplus Williams parts, since I am in Chicago.
dcbrown

Post by dcbrown »

Amazingly the markings on the solenoid coils are still ledgible and helpful.

Multi Unit reset:. 202C-15, 0.30 wire, 1080 turns
Multi Unit advance:. 201C-8,. O.45 wire, 1040 turns

Counting Unit reset:. B-28 1450, 28 Ga, 1450 turns
Counting Unit advance:. 201C-8, 0.45 wire, 1040 turns

Time to search for replacements. I don't know how closely I should match these specs. I'm seeing a mind boggling assortment online, but no close matches yet.

The relay coils are mostly unmarked. The Coin relay coil is marked "50". Ohm measurements for all the relays are:

Anti-Cheat. 86
Hold. 33
Coin. 51
Payout 50
Jackpot. 85
7-7-7. 87
Solenoid. 86

The Hold relay looks suspicious to me. Shorted turns?
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

dcbrown

Post by dcbrown »

Fantastic! If there's an easy fix I should be able to find it there.
dcbrown

Best reference for Sega Console

Post by dcbrown »

Post merged - Site Admin.

I'm currently working on a Sega Console machine that has quite a few electro-mechanical features. Knowing the basic mechanism is a clone of the Mills, I was thinking of getting the book on Mills machines as a reference.

Is there any other option that would cover some of the electro-mechanical systems too? Are there machines other than slots that have similar electro-mechanical parts, such as pinball machines?

I'd prefer to limit myself to 2 reference books. I probably won't' be getting any more machines, and my only other slot machine is a late 1980s Bally that has it's own service guide.