Bryans Bullion conversion, or not???

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
special when lit

Bryans Bullion conversion, or not???

Post by special when lit »

Bought this Bullion a few months ago on 1d. I know that they originally had a 12d max payout, and the ones that were converted to new penny went to a 10p payout, however mine has a 10d max payout.

I've never seen one like this. Everything looks to be original old penny, but the face has a 10 sticker over the 12, but in the style of the original numbers. Is this unusual, or was it done by Bryans?

Other info, if it might help, the machine has the name D Ralph written inside, and the serial no is 484.
Attachments
DSCF0863a.jpg
DSCF0861a.jpg
DSCF0862a.jpg
DSCF0864a.jpg
DSCF0865a.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Bryans Bullion conversion, or not???

Post by pennymachines »

I never knowingly saw one like this before, but possibly I've always assumed they were on 2p or 1p, having spotted the 10 on the slot and dial.
Perhaps Bryans offered a conversion to the lower payout before decimalization? I fed just a handful of pennies into a Bullion (serial number 794) the last couple of days and managed to hit 12 yesterday and this morning... If I quit now, I'm ahead. !!YABBADABBA!!
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

I can't shed any light on its originality but perhaps with the 12d payout, operators felt the return to player percentage at 68.6% was a little high. With the 10d version it would be reduced to 66.3%, doesn't sound much difference but over the course of £1 inserted in the mid 1960s that's about an extra quarter pound of sherbet lemons profit for the operator. Yum yum.
special when lit

Hmmm, strange. !PUZZLED!
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Perhaps not too dissimilar to one arm bandits being doctored by the use of 'bugs' so the payout fingers would slide off winning symbols or washers to blank off winning holes coupled with change of symbols to lessen the return to player percentage. Mills bandits were factory set at 74% payout but as the bandit boys on the forum will concur,these methods are often found to decrease payouts. So perhaps Mr Bryan was asked to lessen the return to player but in a less devious manner. :!?!:
brigham

Post by brigham »

It might be 'Decimal Ready', like TV sets were 'BBC2 Ready'.
special when lit

13rebel wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:23 pm Perhaps not too dissimilar to one arm bandits being doctored by the use of 'bugs' so the payout fingers would slide off winning symbols or washers to blank off winning holes coupled with change of symbols to lessen the return to player percentage. Mills bandits were factory set at 74% payout but as the bandit boys on the forum will concur,these methods are often found to decrease payouts. So perhaps Mr Bryan was asked to lessen the return to player but in a less devious manner. :!?!:
Could be. Would love to know its history.