Oh Dear...Broken Allwin Flick mech casing

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
magikkk

Oh Dear...Broken Allwin Flick mech casing

Post by magikkk »

Hello helpful people. I was hoping my first post would be a hello, but unfortunately it's turned into a "please help and advise me if you can" one.

I have a Ruffler and Walker "What's My Line" which generally works well, but today the casing holding the flick pin/bolt (not sure what to call it) has cracked and come apart. I've attached photos, I'm not sure whether to try super gluing it back together (I bet that's a daft idea) or well....I really honestly don't know what to do.

One pic shows the unit in its usual place, one taken out, and all the others the case and broken part.

Any help and advice would be gratefully received. Thanks, David
Attachments
DSCF2954.jpg
DSCF2956.jpg
DSCF2955.jpg
DSCF2957.jpg
DSCF2958.jpg
Last edited by magikkk on Mon May 13, 2019 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
treefrog

Re: Oh Dear...Broken Allwin Flick mech casing

Post by treefrog »

I have never seen this happen before, but does not surprise me as the damper takes constant thumping from the hammer, so over time I guess it could be a weak point... Good thing is this is hidden behind the cover, so any repair should be hidden, whether a weld job or brazing would do the job is worth a try.... Maybe with some added metal on the outside to provide support....
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I think a blob of weld on the inside might be favourite as a fail-safe solution.
magikkk

Post by magikkk »

Thanks gents for the speedy replies.

Welding, I've never ever done that, is there anyone in the London area I could pay to do that quickly for me?

And just to be clear, we are saying "no" to epoxy glue (i.e arldite) for that?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Because you've only got thin edges to glue and the detached part takes the full force of the hammer (cushioned only by the rubber stop), I doubt it would hold for more than a few plays. I've never welded either, but my friendly back-street garage welded steel tubing on a broken chicken hutch recently, and took payment in eggs!
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

I'd suggest brazing or hard silver solder for this job over welding, because you can see into that hole and brazing done well will be invisible on both sides, while welding leaves a lumpier finish, and actually quite a delicate job to weld such a small thin part. A local proper bike shop should be well versed in brazing.
magikkk

Post by magikkk »

Good advice.

Also, I now intend to pay for all purchases in Coventry with eggs...