Giralda machine

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
coppinpr

Giralda machine

Post by coppinpr »

This might not be easy as I only have one very poor photo of part of the machine but can anyone ID this Spanish machine called Giralda. A Spanish collector wants new art work and this one photo is all I have at the moment. Help please.
Attachments
giralda front.jpg
coppinpr

Re: Giralda machine

Post by coppinpr »

I have now managed to get some photos of a similar machine and a little more info, but not who made it (yet.
The machine was made in the early 1930s and (I'm told) has a patent date of 1932. It appears to have had a random feature which paid out either coins or a card with varying prize amounts written on them exchangeable for drinks at the bar. What would the parts seen on the back inside of the machine be for - card holder?
Attachments
machine2.jpg
machine.jpg
inside.jpg
photo.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I don't know who made it, but some observations for what they're worth...
Gaming machines were mostly prohibited in Spain (like other strongly catholic countries), so if this game was manufactured there, it is unusual.
It resembles several British and French made tivoli-type games of the early 20th century.
The Giralda is the bell tower of Seville Cathedral as depicted on the instruction card. This also seems to be the brand name of the game.
I haven't found Patent 127616.
Instructions on the game translate roughly:
STANDARD AUTOMATIC VENDOR (PATENTED) GIRALDA BRAND
PATENT No. 127616
Instructions: Insert a ten centimo coin, pull the lever down and the device will deliver a sweet, and a ball will drop.
Shoot the ball into the targets that indicate a prize.
Turn the handle on the left side for a token with a value of 20, 30, 40 or 70 centimos, which can be exchanged for merchandise.
Attachments
Giralda-desc.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I wonder what the large lump on the back top is, seems to have some linkage to it.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

From what Mr P. says, I'm pretty sure it's the gum ball vendor? You can see where the gum ball drops and where the mech on the door catches it to deliver down the chute. The chain link on the right would be the release.
Must be rare if Spanish-made. just before the Civil war. Perhaps the gum ball made the machine exempt from the prohibited gambling machine laws same as in the USA.
Attachments
inside 2.jpg