Aristocrat Kingsway, Tic Tac Toe - or something else?

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
krek80

Aristocrat Kingsway, Tic Tac Toe - or something else?

Post by krek80 »

Hi all
I am new to this forum, I got it recommended from someone who suggested that this was the place to go with my problems.

I have been restoring an Aristocrat Kingsway machine for some time now, but there is one thing I can’t understand.
The cabinet and mech has matching serial numbers, but the reels don’t seem to match the graphics on the front. The graphics say it’s a “Tic-Tac-Toe”, but these symbols are nowhere to be found on the reels. Instead I have lots of oranges, some melons, a 7 and some plums. In addition there has been a joker-symbol stuck on top of one of the melons on each reel.

The machine has a jackpot unit on it, and the jokers pay out the bonus on the center line. The “bar-symbol” also pays out the bonus.

I’m planning on replacing some of my graphics, and therefore I would like to make sure that the machine isn’t actually some other themed machine, with the wrong graphics. If it's just a matter of replacing the jokers with the TIC/TAC/TOE symbols that would be an easy fix, compared to the alternatives.

Also, I’m missing some key parts for my machine.
Primarily I need some locks.
I need a new lock for the bottom drawer, as I had to drill that out some time ago. I have the rod for it, but the square metal plate that goes between the lock and the rod is broken. See picture.
I also need a new complete lock assembly for the main door. I haven’t seen any pictures of what it's supposed to look like, so I can't describe it any further.
Lastly I need some of the chrome moldings that would go around the top sign. This meaning the frame for the sign, the ring for the coin-hole and the reject-button.

Is there anyone on this great forum that would be able to enlighten me on the matter of the reels, and what theme this machine actually is supposed to be?
And if someone could point me in a direction that might lead to me tracking down some of the missing parts, that would be great!

See pictures for further details.

Thanks in advance.
Kristoffer
Norway
Attachments
Lights on
Lights on
Full view
Full view
Mech
Mech
Broken lock
Broken lock
treefrog

Re: Aristocrat Kingsway, Tic Tac Toe - or something else?

Post by treefrog »

You may have a mish mash machine, especially if bits were missing.....so either the wrong reel bundle or graphics on the machine.

The Joker comes from a machine called Crazy - see below - and were mostly converted from some other format with joker covering other symbols below.

If you have no Tic Tac Toes, and the reel bundle is original it could be one of a few types, eg Mad Melons... so you could try and find correct reel strips or reel bundle to match the Tic Tac Toe or even create the Tic Tac Toe symbols and apply over.

I would also check payouts are all correct...

Locks are standard barrel locks, can’t remember length, but the shortest type readily available.

I am sure admins will guide you on spares, I have some spares, but not all the bits you need so you could put a wanted add in on this site or Henry Powell maybe able to help as well... Google him....
Attachments
66CD1B97-C61F-4A09-B2ED-31078B35539a.jpg
175AA6CB-A6B1-4F73-8AC5-5E6A9488B6F0ajpg.jpg
krek80

Post by krek80 »

Yes, I’m starting to suspect it’s not totally original.
The fact that the serial number on the mech matches the number on the cabinet led me to believe that it was all good. But I’m starting to think that the graphics on the cabinet where changed at some time. (I’m missing the top sign, so it’s the large bottom one that has been replaced). The reels all seem to be original, except for the jokers that are glued on.

All the payouts seem correct according to the card, tree bells bays 18 etc.
There are tree combinations that release the bonus; 3 jokers, 3 sevens and 3 bars.
The joker-symbol is stuck over a melon, this leads me to suspect it actually is a Mad Melons.
Also the joker (melon) pays 18 in all tree rows, in addition to the bonus on the center line.

I have the part-number on the reel-strips, if that narrows it down.
Reel 1: 142/196
Reel 2: 142/197
Reel 3: 142/198

My research seems to suggest it’s actually a Mad Melons. I found this picture online, and the jackpots listed on it matche my reels perfectly. Also the picture refers to “mystery pays”. I found a while ago that a specific, apparently random, combination (7-plum-joker) pays 10. I originally thought it was caused by a missing blank on the wheels, but now I think it might be the mystery referred to by the graphics.

What do you guys think, is it a Mad Melons?

Oh, and one more thing!
I have tried to email Henry previously, but unfortunately he didn’t reply. Do you guys know if his page is still operational?
I will post a wanted-ad, and see if something turns up.

Thanks!
Attachments
maxresdefault.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

It might be Mad Melons, if it has not special symbols, but as mentioned before I would check each of the pay discs so one can confirm strips are correct, especially things like the scattered pay, which should exist on the 18 win and is probably on the Melons.....

Let us know, I may be able to check as I have most models of the Kingsways.
krek80

Post by krek80 »

There is only one melon on each reel, and no special symbols. All the disks seem to match the reels, as far as I can see, and all rewards seem to match Mad Melons.
The only anomaly I have found is the combination I mentioned before, where “seven” – “plum” – “melon” on the center line pays 10.
Would you be able to check if this is true on your machine, to see if this in fact is the mystery payout referred to on the graphics?
krek80

Post by krek80 »

If it was not clear, everything on the mech seems to match Mad Melons. This includes all three disks, the reels (if I peel off the 3 jokers) and the payouts.
ralph

Post by ralph »

This guy is over here in Australia. He has all these Aristocrat art works for sale. Don't think he has the correct one you need, but good site for reference. I will have to get his email details from another collector here, if you have problems getting hold of him. Good luck with the machine. http://www.kfe.com.au/ARTWORK/ARTWORK.htm
krek80

Post by krek80 »

Tanks ralph! !!THUMBSX2!!

I have already sent him an email asking for some parts I’m missing.
And Paul over at http://penny-arcade.info/slot-machine-art is helping me out with the graphics. So it seems like I might be able to complete the machine soon.

The main issue I’m having at the moment is the lock-mechanism for the main door. I can easily get a new lock, but I’m missing the entire assembly that should sit in the door.
Does anyone have a picture of the lock-mechanism for a Kingsway, or know where I can get one?
ralph

Post by ralph »

These few pics may be of help. I can get a few sizes if needed. On another game I fixed up recently I had to file out this square hole to make it bigger, so that it fitted a newer style lock that was slightly bigger. I removed the whole sliding mech, held it in a vice and I used a small square file to carefully file out the square opening.
Good luck mate.
Attachments
Lock Mech, Showing square hole that may need making bigger
Lock Mech, Showing square hole that may need making bigger
Lock Mech
Lock Mech
Lock Mech
Lock Mech
krek80

Post by krek80 »

Great!

Now I just need to find a place to get the missing parts.. !PUZZLED!
It seems to me that there are 3 main parts to the lock. The main latch that spans the entire height of the door, with the two “hooks” on it. The arm that controls the latch, and the bracket that connects the lock itself to the arm.

Does anyone here know of someone with a set of these parts to spare, or a place to get them?
I have tried contacting both Henry Powell at www.1armedbandit.co.uk and http://www.kfe.com.au but I haven’t heard back from any of them. I could of course try to make a copy, but I would prefer original parts, if possible.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

The simple way is just to forget the original locking system for now and use a single lock in the bottom hole. I've done this for customers numerous times because even though I'm in Aust I've never come across any of those parts spare. Just means either customizing or making a new latch for the lock you find that will do the job. Unless the machine is going on site then a latch at the lower section is more than enough to keep it safely shut. Maybe you'll buy a complete machine later on and then can copy the original parts easily enough?
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

The only issue with this is that if using a barrel lock, which fits the machine, they need to rotate 90 deg. to release the key.... The hole in the machine is very small as the lock will lift a lever to release the door and can rotate around to remember key. I would imagine you could rig up a similar system for just the lower slot.

Although I have many Aristocrats, I actually do not have masses of spares. Having said that I, have been breaking an Elite, which has a similar locking system, so will have a look if the same size.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

TF, I've done quite a few and don't remember any of them being an issue, but having said that it's not a job that meant anything to me so I'm now vague about it...... :!?!: Thinking about it I must've fitted well over a thousand locks to machines so that probably makes me pretty blase to the intricacies. And a large collection of locks always helps as there are tons of interesting variations specially suited for the oddest of places and reasons.