EH / Collector Connector sales

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
treefrog

Re: Elephant House Auctions

Post by treefrog »

Looks like Top Hat did sell for a low £480

Seemed people wanted lots for some machines which I thought had hit high prices like the Commercial/Caille not selling at £750 and the R&W Fill Em Up hitting an incredible £1000 !PUZZLED! Very odd I would have been dancing as a seller...

Rol a Top was cheap, no idea if a good one, but cheapest I have seen at £2000
dutchboy

Post by dutchboy »

It looked to me there was some welding done at the mechanism on some parts of the Watling. I can’t download the pic from the site sadly.
Greetings.
brianh

Post by brianh »

treefrog wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:53 pm Looks like Top Hat did sell for a low £480
That's very odd, Treefrog - I was there and could've sworn it was not sold, but I can see, as you say, that in the EH results it now shows as "sold" and if so, that seems a very low price?. Either I dozed off or someone bought it after the auction, if that is possible. !PUZZLED!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Yes it is possible it was bought afterwards... There may have been a reserve etc. I have done this at many auctions... Yes, seemed cheap and a lot less thant the seller paid when I posted about the machine previously and after all the work they had done...but that is auctions for you... The Elephant was quiet on Sunday or quieter than usual, holiday season maybe as half term.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Seemed to be a combination of cautious buyers and ambitious reserves with a few bargains scattered in the mix. The Pace Comet at £300 seemed very cheap.

147.jpg

Another result that intrigued me was the blue Stevenson & Lovett Grip Teze which sold for £450, compared to the red one which made £1,200 in November 2017. They are the only two examples I've seen, and interesting how they differ in design. I guess, given the size, they're more of an arcade than collector's machine.
Attachments
2Gripteze.jpg
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

treefrog wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:49 am The Elephant was quiet on Sunday or quieter than usual, holiday season maybe as half term.
Seems a silly time to have one, that's two I've missed now/ !!GRUMP!!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Looking at the results, there seems to be good few low priced machines especially in the bandits. I know three machines went to Germany including the Katgit catcher and the See Saw allwin, because it was a friend of mine who bought them. The only lot I did bid on (I was not there) was lot 4 the Daval exray trade stim which despite what I thought was a high bid seems to have not sold(?) If I HAD been there I think I would have bought the Buckley "payday" pinball, at £160 you couldn't lose, even if it was empty you could convert it into one of the increasingly popular pin ball coffee tables and sell easy for £350+ to recover your loss.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Problem is the Payday pin table is not that attractive as early machines go... What is unusual is the payout... This is the same machine that I saw in a Wales auction last year. Then it made £130... I am guessing not working and maybe needing parts or tender care... Go for someone in the know....

This auction was full of such machines.... Top of my list would have been the very cheap Diana wall shooter......cheap at £250.

Thought the Gripeze machines look great, but just such big lumps. !!THUMBSX2!!
brigham

Post by brigham »

I'd certainly have had the pre-flipper pintable. I was offered 16 random examples for 3 grand last year, delivered!
Where to put them was the problem. I certainly missed out there.
As for bandits, the PACE was a bargain. Anyone know why the Firman brought £950, but the 'real thing' two lots later went for a mere £580?
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

The Firman is a rarer machine than Poinsettia. :)
brianh

Post by brianh »

treefrog wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:53 pm ...the R&W Fill Em Up hitting an incredible £1000 !PUZZLED! Very odd I would have been dancing as a seller...
Curiously, treefrog, this is now no longer showing in the results so presume was not sold yet I was there and it definitely hit £1,000 (which was admittedly a mad bid as I had picked up a similar (but better) one at earlier auction for under 600). Being a bit naive with auctions would that mean buyer pulled out? Bit unfair if so, on people who had bid lower. I must admit I'm learning a lot about these auctions, what with this and the very odd Top Hat situation and none of it is good !!GRUMP!! Maybe answer is to go to Coventry one(s) instead. :cool:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I agree, as I said earlier, the lot I bid on sold for £10 over my highest bid but now also shows as not sold, but then this is EH, "expect the unexpected". dirtdog
brigham

Post by brigham »

Those are either 'off-the-wall' bids, or floor bids by the item's owner.
You generally have a fee to pay if you buy your own item!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

brianh wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:23 pm Curiously, treefrog, this is now no longer showing in the results so presume was not sold yet I was there and it definitely hit £1,000...
You may have misunderstood my post. My point was it did not reach reserve, yet it reached a grand... which is crazy, as obviously it had a silly reserve on it... The seller may regret this as it's unlikely to get there a second time round... Auctions can be lotteries.

In terms of other comments, you did not beat reserve. Most auction houses start bidding well below reserve. Floor bids from sellers on their items seems to happen more often than you realise. I have seen it done at Coventry and Elephant when I know the owner of the items and watched them doing it. I sort of understand if you never left a reserve on your item and it is going for a song, you panic and bid it up - worthwhile if you win and not take a big hit. I cannot see this in the rules of a few mainstream auction houses, so it must be accepted as long as you pay commission.

Always seems to be odd suspicion with EH I have never understood... I have sold many times there and my lots never start at the reserve price and the book bids always start below my reserve.

I guess the answer is, turn up at the auction if really keen ;-)
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

treefrog wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:52 amAlways seems to be odd suspicion with EH I have never understood... I have sold many times there and my lots never start at the reserve price and the book bids always start below my
I believe that is considered good practice at auctions. It's aimed at getting floor bids competing against each other on the way up to the reserve in an attempt to tempt the floor bidders to continue on as the reserve is passed rather than crush bidders who MIGHT continue but won't get started if the first bid is the reserve. Coventry also never starts at the reserve of a lot.
brigham

Post by brigham »

I only know motor auctions, but we generally set the first bid from the floor. The auctioneer asks "What have we got", and someone signals a derisory amount (two or three hundred quid, on a book price of a grand).
It leads to quick-fire bidding, and, if it stalls AFTER the reserve is reached, we are told "I'm selling this car". This naturally baffled my junior self, and I had to ask the grown-ups what he meant, seeing as I thought selling it was what he'd been doing all along!
Happy days. I used to go twice a week, but after a couple of years they stopped me going on Wednesdays. I was sent to school instead.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Ha ha yes car auctions are crazy, don’t hang around they don’t, I have bought a few vehicles at them, god knows how, as they are like demons...

Reserves are an odd one and I often wish they did start at them. At least you know whether you're wasting your time or not. Also I don’t believe knowledgeable auctioneers should allow any machine to be listed with silly reserves - wastes their time and ours... I am a natural gambler and either go no reserve or set low ones. Think I took one machine home in last Coventry auction, which had a low reserve.......
bill gates

Post by bill gates »

Some good prices made on bandits at the EH today.

Lot 91. Brooklands racer £2,500
Lot 92. Mills baseball £3,100
Lot 93. Mills FOK vendor front £1,700
Lot 94. Mills Bursting cherry jackpot front £2,700
Lot 96. Mills 4 reel high top £3,300
Lot 101. Aristocrat club master £580
C931B45C-7B62-4ECC-9271-623E4026002D.jpeg

Attachments
C19D8269-18ED-414F-B4D7-3DDD4C23A60D.jpeg
4DCAD554-4B5B-4A9F-81B8-35FA6FD4145E.jpeg
DDB5173D-A209-4338-8990-10503C59ACE4.jpeg
437DD44A-3375-4719-9A2B-8040746CCB86.jpeg
573E36C3-3EF3-4504-941D-22BCD80DF1EB.jpeg
7888F70A-23E5-4BE5-BDA8-C145273DD8FA.jpeg
radiochrissie

Post by radiochrissie »

Wow £3300 for the four reel Mills. :o Thanks to my dad I was able to buy my first bandit in 1970,a four reel Mills,(for £32) Still got it and would never sell it. God bless you Dad, I miss you.
clubconsoles

Post by clubconsoles »

yes they were good prices for quality Bandits, for sure.
I beleive all apart from the Clubmaster went to the same bidder?
Another new collector, not sure??