Hello from sunny West Sussex UK

Tell us a bit about yourself.
prunehat

Hello from sunny West Sussex UK

Post by prunehat »

Hello all, I live in West Sussex UK.

I’m a collector of many things, vintage guitars, old electrical and scientific instruments and have an interest in arcade and slot machines. I have repaired locks and made keys for a few collectors over the years.

Back in the late 60’s the engineering company that I worked for used a small local company for subcontract work and it was my job to collect the finished work. The real business of the small two-man company was repairing arcade machines in the local fun-fairs. When I visited the factory there would be a few modern machines being repaired – but heaped in the corner were many Allwin type machines, no longer wanted by the fun-fairs.

Money was tight but I did have the sense to buy one!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Hello from sunny West Sussex UK

Post by pennymachines »

:WELCOME: to the site Prunehat.
Lock fixing skills are very handy in this hobby.
That heap of unwanted allwin-type machines in the corner is a recurring dream of mine. Are you sure it really happened?
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

hi and welcome to the best slot forum of them all....by far
I live in east Sussex so any time you feel like it ,let me know and we can meet up for a pint :cool:
oxford allwin fan

Post by oxford allwin fan »

Hello there old prune - if that's not too over familiar- so which allwin did you acquire?
prunehat

Post by prunehat »

Many thanks to all for the warm welcome. :D

And no, it was not a dream - there was a pile of machines. Had I been a bit smarter, had the space and a bit more money …who knows?

My ‘Allwin’? I’m not sure what model it is. It’s in exactly the same condition as when I bought it. The cardboard insert actually calls it ‘ALWYN’ and has seven cups.
I’ll try to upload a photo.

Another machine I acquired in the '70s was a Sega Continental Grand Prix but that was sold to a friend with a motor museum.

I’m sure that many will agree, as collectors we often think back at things we’ve missed, sold and should have kept. My regret is not keeping the Bally Pinball Gay Cruise – only 60 were made with this backglass. I bought it from the supplier of props for the film ‘Tommy’ (which I worked on). I’ll post a picture sometime of it sitting in our front room in Worthing.

Today, sitting in my workshop (it's too heavy to get into the house) is a Sega Imperial which came from Germany and I believe is ex-NAFFI. It takes 10 Pfennig coins, thankfully I have a stack. Someday it will have to be sold as I need the space.
Attachments
Allwyn
Allwyn
Allwyn
Allwyn
oxford allwin fan

Post by oxford allwin fan »

Wow. And you worked on 'Tommy'? Great movie (my experience of seeing in particularly enhanced his mum!) but I can't watch it now cos of different feelings when seeing those pinball machines being smashed up! V best from dismal Oxfordshire.. Martyn
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Hi prunehat and a warm, belated, welcome.

You machine is a 'Saxony' type allwin of the 1930s and probably started life as a 'reserve' machine with 3 balls. Looks to be in quite good condition. Do you have any photos of the internal mechs?
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Welcome! Used to hang out in Worthing every Saturday as both my nans lived there and spent most of life on the pier playing the slots. Excellent Toby Carvery in Goring Road, was there Saturday. I'm just up the coast in Felpham nr Bognor Regis. I had a Sega Continental and the heaviest damn machine I've ever had the misfortune to buy in Richmond London.
prunehat

Post by prunehat »

Thanks for interest and for identifying my machine as a 'Saxony'.
Here are a couple of images of the interior.
Regards,
Roy (aka Prunehat)
Attachments
DSC_0015a.jpg
DSC_0014a.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

You can learn more about the origins of your game here: Seven mysteries of the Saxony allwin. Presumably Blackpool Automatics Ltd. were responsible for rechristening it Allwyn, which is more Anglo-Saxon than Saxony.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Thanks for the photos Roy, this was a 'reserve' allwin as you can see the tell-tale holes that were once used to connect a series of levers to operate the ball release.

Is that a Jersey penny on the top of the coin hopper?