Columbia DeLuxe Jackpot Setup

General vintage slot machine related topics.
geordy55

Columbia DeLuxe Jackpot Setup

Post by geordy55 »

I bought this little Columbia Deluxe recently and it all worked fine until I forced a jackpot with the mechanism out of the case. All worked fine, but when putting the mech back into the case, I cannot get the jackpot to fall again.
On the following photo you can see the push rod which I believe holds the jackpot under pressure until released on a jackpot win, when it retracts and releases the coins.

IMG_6074.JPG

I have two scenarios regarding the jackpot mechanism itself. The first is how it was set up when I bought the machine.the second is from a similar machine. Which one is correct ?

In the following photo you can also see how the push rod appears to miss the jackpot mechanism, but if I put this pin in front of the push rod then the mechanism will not go into the case.

IMG_6078a.jpg

Does anyone know, or can anyone explain how the jackpot should work and reset ? Does anybody have a service manual that can help ?

Any help really appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_6076.jpg
IMG_6075.JPG
coppinpr

Re: Columbia DeLuxe Jackpot Setup

Post by coppinpr »

I think your set up is the correct one,i cant check my machine at moment as im on vacation but ill check it when i get back so we can at least have a "best of three", BP seems to know more about these than anyone so im sure he will be along with the answers
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Paul, you've already supplied Geordie with photos of yours so he could confirm the spring/hinge arrangement.
Geordie only lives around the corner from me so we spent an exciting couple of hours going over the thing in my back room. I suggested he ask you for a photo of yours as I remembered nursing yours for a year (because when you're not on holiday you're still hundreds of miles from civilisation)

Basically his worked until he mended it.
The hinge pin on the J/P is spring loaded, but one end of the pin wasn't located correctly into its bracket.
Having put it back it stopped releasing.
It's a combination of ……..
Getting J/P allows the pay out pin to travel beyond the side frame though a small spring loaded door.
Upon which it knocks away the retaining arm that holds the J/P closed, so it releases.
Only it doesn't now.

Geordie ….. I've been puzzling over this (I know, I need a hobby, problem is I have one!!!) I wonder now about the cash box that holds the J/P closed when you remove the mech so it doesn't trip when you take it out. Check that it does indeed do that fully. For if it doesn't hold the catch off then there will be too much pressure on the catch when the pay out pin tries to release it.

If as I suspect, I'm talking gibberish and not putting into words what I can see in my head, give me a shout and I'll pop round, it's worth a try.

BP :cool:
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

BP, the money box easily pushes the retaining arm out of the way. In the photos the first set up is the same as Coppins photo, the second set up is how mine was. The first set up holds the jackpot in place when the retaining arm is lifted by the money box. The second set up does not appear to hold the jackpot door closed when the retaining arm is lifted. In both scenarios the push slider does not align with the pin on the mechanism (which should keep the jackpot closed) it misses it completely and therefore does not hold the jackpot closed.

Has anybody else got a Columbia they could take a photo of for me?
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

Ok, just to update anyone who’s interested, I managed to work out how the jackpot mechanism should be fitted. The photo below shows the correct set up and the jackpot now works and re-sets itself perfectly. When I got the machine, this black bracket was not fitted into the pivot pin and was also bent.
Attachments
BAA452F8-91A5-4BBE-A37B-00E929EC302a.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Well done Geordy!

BP !THUMBS!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Yes, very well done - perseverance pays off. !!IDEA!!
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

Just bought another from the US. It's not running but I quite like these mechanisms so will be a challenge to get it working again.
If anybody knows of anyone with spares I'm looking for the carousel cover and the coin chute as a start.
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

Well after a total strip down, and numerous rebuilds, I now know these machines inside out. Managed to get a very stock clogged up mechanism working again but had to manufacture a new coin detector.
Does anyone have any spare parts for a Columbia ?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

The good news is: -
I know where there's a shed load
The bad news is: -
He's never been remotely interested in moving them on … so far!

There only appears to be your good self, Mr. Coppin and me who share any curiosity in them. Well openly that is.
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

badpenny wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:21 amI know where there's a shed load
In this country or overseas? I think you need to use your diplomacy skills to get him to let some go.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I do also have a Columbia - the appeal for me was the unusual visible escalator window... but I know little about them as mine worked, so never have touched one mechanically. I have preferred them to the Mills QT’s which have always looked a little dull to me.

Given the amount of these on 6D, I assume they must have been popular with the illegal back street gambling venues where they could shift easily if needed...
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

geordy55 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:00 pm
badpenny wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:21 amI know where there's a shed load
I think you need to use your diplomacy skills to get him to let some go.
Me? Diplomacy skills? :o
I leave behind me a well documented path of destruction and the offended.
If something in my head sounds funny, then I'm saying it.
I then forget the instance immediately only to be confused ages later when someone comments on it.

I didn't go to The Henry Kissinger Academy, that's for sure.

BP !PUNISH!