Peter Wilson Sale: 18/07/19

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Peter Wilson Sale: 18/07/19

Post by pennymachines »

Just submitted to the Calendar a large sale of vintage penny slot machines, pinballs, trade stimulators, etc. at Peter Wilson Auctioneers on 18th of next month.
Attachments
PW.jpg
treefrog

Re: Peter Wilson Sale: 18/07/19

Post by treefrog »

Wow, big collection.....113 machines from my count. I am sure a few of you will know the collector and maybe on here and I assume this is a single person clearance sale.

I do wonder why go to an expensive auction house though, if I were doing the same I would definitely do one of the two collectors sale. With 32% fees for buyer online and what ever they are charging for the seller, all that comes from the realised value I am afraid and worse still in bloody Cheshire and midweek which may put off people..... :#:
radiochrissie

Post by radiochrissie »

Nice one, and for once it’s in “bloody Cheshire” !!THUMBSX2!!
woody

Post by woody »

Crikey - some collection. Some interesting estimates. The Butterfly looks a pretty machine. I'll need a big van to fit all 113 in.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Now I have gone through in more detail, certainly is a nice haul and some rare items.....a pair of Parker’s Journey Into Space !THUMBS! Wartime Olly Whales Defiant and Target Tonight, the latter I believe has a sold a few rimes years ago and on eBay for £4600 !OMFG!

The Butterfly is certainly unusual, maybe one for someone who struggles to get machines past the wife....biggest estimate of £4K to £4.5k wow....

Well if I am free I might ogle and drool !WEIRD!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Nice collection.
You can see the ones he really doesn't want to take back home after, by the low estimates. That's called "Come and buy me" in the trade and tell you no more than there's either no reserve on that item or that is the reserve. Of course it bears no resemblance on what they'll actually achieve on the day.

Buyers' commission of 22% + VAT is a bit of a kick in the slats. Best to add a third of the hammer price to the total that way you'd not be shocked. :shock:

However July 18th is my birthday and this year I'll be fifty fifteen. So I may pop up, I know the auction house as I used to run a pub called The Bickerton Poacher back in the late 80s, not far away.

BP |/XX\|
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

badpenny wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:47 pm Nice collection.
You can see the ones he really doesn't want to take back home after, by the low estimates. That's called "Come and buy me" in the trade and tell you no more than there's either no reserve on that item or that is the reserve. Of course it bears no resemblance on what they'll actually achieve on the day
I agree low estimates are just 'buy me' statements, but when you look through the list, the estimates are all over the place. A lot of machines have been discussed on here over the years and fetched princely sums, but are not reflected in the estimates, whereas something like Bryans Trickler set at over 7k :!: , which is twice what any other I have seen sell for.... We will see on day, I guess, what reaches any reserves..... Nice to see some good machines though. !!THUMBSX2!!
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

The sale may serve as a current gauge of interest in the older category of British coin-op. If the traffic on Pennymachines is any indication, today's collectors favor the bandits of their youth as opposed to the games of interest to their parents. It would have been nice if the collection were offered by an egalitarian auction site like Coventry run by our own J and J. The onerous fees imposed by most auction houses tend to suppress the interest and certainly affect the ultimate hammer price.

J Peterson
Allwins forever in America
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

john t peterson wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:38 am by an egalitarian auction site like Coventry run by our own J and J.
J Peterson
Allwins forever in America
I'll have you know I'm a practising Agnostic!
I can't speak for JC although I suspect he worships at the temple of Whitworth.

BP !WORSHIPFULL!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I do like the two Boland (?) "Bomber Command" machines with different aircraft types as reel symbols. Have we ever discussed these on the forum? I don't recall it.

I believe it has to be said it's a poor choice of venue and day of the week for the seller to achieve max amounts. It has the feel of a collection inherited by someone who doesn't know anything about it, who wouldn't know who would want the machines and either doesn't want, or has nowhere to keep it.

Some very desirable machines though.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Having looked at the rules of bidding at this auction house a couple of things come to light.
Although still very high the commission is listed as 26.4% inc VAT all inclusive.

The use of a credit/debit card doesn't seem to attract a fee (legally it can't but some houses do still try to charge one), but the restrictions are a little confusing -
this from there site:
PLEASE NOTE: Debit and Credit card payments where the card holder is not present will only be accepted for transactions up to £500. Credit card payments may only be made using chip and pin up to £2,000.
The first part clearly refers to "card holders not present", which is a big restriction, especially for bidders from overseas; the second part, I assume, refers to bidding in person at the auction (or does it mean up to a total of £2000?) and would mean you can't bid on some machines at all unless you have part cash at the very least.
luckystar

Post by luckystar »

Hi all, I see that there are a couple of mine on there that I made, The Smithy & The Pool Tote. It will be interesting to see what they fetch. Pete.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Yes Pete, I remember those. Didn't you have one stolen? Were they numbered? Or am I imagining it all?
BP !PUZZLED!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

coppinpr wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:48 pmThe first part clearly refers to "card holders not present", which is a big restriction, especially for bidders from overseas; the second part...
They also say:
As a general rule any cheques tendered will need to be cleared before removal of the goods is permitted. Please discuss with our Office in advance of the sale if other methods of payment are envisaged (except cash).
So absentee bidders could pay with old fashioned cheques and, I'm sure, by BACS. For removal on the day, looks like it's debit card or cash if the bill exceeds £2,000.
luckystar

Post by luckystar »

Hi
It was Poz who had one stolen - they broke into his bus through the roof. That was the only machine they took. Pete.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

BACS looks like the only real option if bidding online as although they say they take cheques the logistics would make it impractical, (how long do they allow for you to get a cheque to them? How long to clear? How long will they let you leave the machine there before storage charges?) They say credit card for online bidders is max £500. Is that per lot or total bill? If total bill it's pretty much unusable.

The more you read the descriptions, the more it would seem they have received little or no information and have no idea at all what they are selling so I'm guessing no real input from the seller. A few machines have no maker's name listed, some descriptions take the "if you drop in a coin something appears to happen (or not as the case may be)" view, also some are listed as jammed, and others "not working at present" which is at least fairer than some houses.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

coppinpr wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:29 pm I do like the two Boland (?) "Bomber Command" machines with different aircraft types as reel symbols. Have we ever discussed these on the forum? I don't recall it.
Briefly mentioned here: World War 1 and 2 related Machines
cait001

Post by cait001 »

What an amazing collection! Wish I could find something like these in Canada.

Estimates are a bit wild. I don't understand this one: https://www.peterwilson.co.uk/auction/l ... 6&pn=1&g=1
Automatic Industries Maple Leaf pinball machine.
In America a number of these square and round pinball machines were made by major and minor manufacturers. They did very poorly and they do not fetch good money at all.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

It's the most bizarre of several crazy estimates.
alan57

Post by alan57 »

Going to the viewing on Saturday and then to the auction on Thursday. Have my eye on a couple of allwins and maybe one bandit - bearing in mind the 26.4%. Never been to an auction house before, so looking forward to it.