Somebody knows... Maybe you?
treefrog

Re: Bradley/Whales: Ballwin, Baby Bradwin, Allwin De Luxe etc.

Postby treefrog » Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:51 pm

Usually as I say glass can be the cause, but if your glass does not have lots of movement, it's more likely your track is incorrect. On one machine I had, it was neither and I could not understand why the gap was so large and considered sanding down the face of the wooden edge supports to make it closer....

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:04 pm

As for the replacement ball track, I guess you could easily replace with a slightly wider alloy angle bar? But one issue will be that without the grooved track that they nearly always used, the ball can wander as it revolves, into the playfield and into the glass! Once it starts ricocheting it won't likely stop - and it sucks! Sounds awful, vibrates terribly and damages the machine by destroying the backflash and chipping the glass. This is usually started by the thumb lever firing pin being worn badly, or the lever being bent. Like playing a pinball machine and trying to shoot the ball with the plunger offset. Also the allwin ball will bounce around if there is any discrepancy with the angles of the tracks as the ball moves from one to the other. Even when I restore fully original machines with grooved tracks I usually have to spend quite a few hours getting everything nicely lined up so the ball runs perfectly smoothly. If the machine is leaning slightly forwards or backwards that will also cause the ball to wander without a track. I have had at least one machine by a major maker that appeared to use steel un-grooved track from new. Possibly due to wartime rationing was all that i could come up with as to why?

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:04 pm

The payout cup just below the thumb lever seems like a poor design on these Ballwins to me? But never having played one does it get in the way as I would imagine it does?

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:36 pm

gameswat wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:04 pm
I have had at least one machine by a major maker that appeared to use steel un-grooved track from new.
Bryans allwins use un-grooved rolled steel. I wonder why they don't suffer the problems you describe. !PUZZLED!
Because of this, I'd always assumed the grooving was more of a refinement than an essential.

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:02 am

I know nothing about Bryans Allwins, never owned one, worked on one, or played one that I can remember! I have seen a few in person but didn't look twice as not a fan. Don't Bryans use a slightly larger size ball? If so maybe that was deliberate to leave less space for the ball to move around?? :!?!: I've had a few machines turn up with obviously replaced non grooved tracks and they played like dogs so had to be converted back with spare grooved tracks. The one I did leave was a BMCO that seemed original to me, pretty sure it was a wartime built version. Did take a while to tune that to roll right.

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:17 am

gameswat wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:02 am
Don't Bryans use a slightly larger size ball?
No, slightly smaller. 1/2" instead of the usual 9/16".

cait001

Postby cait001 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:01 pm

gameswat wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:02 am
I've had a few machines turn up with obviously replaced non grooved tracks and they played like dogs so had to be converted back with spare grooved tracks. The one I did leave was a BMCO that seemed original to me, pretty sure it was a wartime built version. Did take a while to tune that to roll right.
If I decide to try and redo the track, where can I purchase replacement grooved tracks?

treefrog

Postby treefrog » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:13 pm

No idea of width supposed to be on these, but track occasionally comes up for sale at collectors auctions, but the long wait. Make it, more difficult. Put a wanted add in. Lastly on my list I wonder in the maker of the repro Allwins would do and be willing to sell track, they use grooved stainless steel track http://www.retro-arcade.co.uk/