Brenner "Past The Arrow" Problems!

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
bugdust

Brenner "Past The Arrow" Problems!

Post by bugdust »

Good evening everyone.
Wondered if anyone could shed some light on the following..
Bought the above in a partially dismantled condition and, following a strip down, clean and rebuild, I'm 99% there....but, although the mechanism works if the working bar is manoeuvred manually, something is very wrong!
Can anyone tell me the purpose of the short metal bar which pivots at the base of the central working bar? It has a small hole which presumably holds a missing spring. To the rear of the working bar there is another metal eyelet which also suggests a spring is missing, but the position of both in relation to each other rather suggests that they may not share a spring? The bar itself seems to have no obvious purpose in its present incarnation other than to foul the ratchet pawl from returning upright after it has cranked the mechanism....which it's clearly not supposed to.

ratchet-arma.jpg

In addition to the above, I seem to be missing a similar piece of metal bar which attaches to the lowest spline (photo to the right is a pic kindly supplied by Gameswat on a previous query from another member)

ratchet2a.jpg

I'd be most grateful if anyone could enlighten me as to the role of these bits and how they interact?
john t peterson

Re: Brenner "Past The Arrow" Problems!

Post by john t peterson »

Gameswat?

J Peterson
Straight arrow in America !LOZEN!
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

JP, did you bug that incomplete Ball Past the Arrow you sold me with a tiny camera or something!? :o Because I just happen to have both my examples apart on the workbench as I write awaiting new artwork from the printers! Sadly for Bugdust both are the later models with totally different mechs and I really can't remember much of the earlier model mechanism that I restored and sold 14 years ago.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I'm afraid I also only have access to a (working) late model, but if nobody else chips in I can dig out an early version 'project' from storage.
bugdust

Post by bugdust »

That's kind gentlemen.
I notice there's a similar aged one lurking in next weeks Elephant House Auctions.
Assuming it will sail past my budget fairly quickly, I might get up there early and get a sneaky peek inside!
I'm starting to think that the metal block missing from the lower spline on mine my act as some sort of guide for the working bar as there seems to be quite a bit of lateral play otherwise?
Anyway, as ever, I remain grateful for any advice.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Did you get a peek at the machine in the sale?
It was missing the chute between the hopper and payout cup. It did have an original cashbox though.
Not sure these snaps will help.
Attachments
bpa.jpg
BPA1.jpg
BPA2.jpg
BPA-cashbox.jpg
bugdust

Post by bugdust »

Erm..yes, kind of!
My vantage point was a little closer than I had expected as I won the bugger!
In fairness, it went for considerably less than the previous one I'd bought on ebay a couple of years ago....and this one actually works!
The missing piece (which, of course, is present on this one, and has formed the ideal template to manufacture a replacement) was indeed the guide which centres the working bar as it's cranked.
Anyway, a pleasing outcome all round, as it shared the journey home with the BMCo. New Century Fivewin that was in the corner looking sorry for itself! (surprisingly, went for almost as much for the Brenner, as I couldn't shake off the other bidder, but never mind, it's "a keeper" as they say!)
Thanks for all the help, anyway.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

That's good news, and at a very reasonable price. It was a bit of a buyer's market for wall machines.
When restoring the more complicated games, it certainly helps to have two. !THUMBS!