Allwin project

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
bobthebuilder

Allwin project

Post by bobthebuilder »

Hi
I have started to investigate the workings and all seems to be complete, allbeit a few pins and wires being used as linkages and springs looking worse for wear and some ugly screw used on the front to hold on the metal work. The machine will work but the payout slide / link seems to stick and not take the coin cleanly - I'm guessing !PUZZLED! a little oil and installing better linkage pins will do the trick, but if you can spot anything else missing please let me know - I enclose photos.

I am unsure if the instructions and game background are original? I am aware there are some to reprint on the resource section but would like to know before replacing anything - please let me know if anything else is not correct with the machine.

Also any information on the age / model / etc. would be nice to have. I paid £290 for this unit not sure if that was about right?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Bob
Attachments
20190728_200219a.jpg
20190803_131602a.jpg
20190803_131614a.jpg
20190803_131622a.jpg
20190803_131630a.jpg
20190803_131643a.jpg
20190803_131649a.jpg
20190803_131948a.jpg
20190803_131953a.jpg
20190803_132000a.jpg
gameswat

Re: Allwin project

Post by gameswat »

Bob, these felt backgrounds were very common in the '20s and '30s, so looks like Shields took an older machine and revamped during or right after the war. I've had very similar machines with this streamlined case style in soft wood that were built from recycled lumber, sometimes ammo boxes or 1930s pinball machine cabinets etc. Sometimes the felt has been removed or just had newer plastic sheets stuck over the top to modernise, not printed with artwork but just stripes of colour or sunbursts. All mine have been cut from sheets of solid plastic for each colour. Your playfield is very clean and appears solid, so no reason to change a thing. The decal would have been added by Shields when they revamped the machine. If you search this site I think there might be some history about them?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

It looks typical of an early postwar Oliver Whales allwin. The sticker is intriguing, because Shields were known for producing electro-mechanical games of a slightly later vintage and were based in Bridlington, not Blackpool. Connected or coincidental namesake?

Looks like some new taper pins are in order.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

No oil anywhere near where a coin would pass,the linkages no problem !!THUMBSX2!! the price you paid would,I think, be considered cheap !THUMBS!
bobthebuilder

Post by bobthebuilder »

Thanks for the replies - what's best for the coin slider graphite spray?

Bob
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

No, it just needs to be clean and shiny. If necessary, disconnect it from the payout arm to check it's free-moving and if there are any burs etc. causing it to catch, grind them off with sandpaper and polish smooth.
bobthebuilder

Post by bobthebuilder »

Thanks Pennymachines

Bob
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

No problem. !THUMBS!
Looking more closely, I'm sure it is a Whales machine. The thin beading around the door frame more or less proves it.
I wonder if the green baize has been added by whoever rechromed the fittings. When revamping old allwins, Whales usually replaced the baize with more 'up to date' coloured plastics, as Gameswat mentioned.