Oliver Whales Target For To-Night allwin

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Re: Oliver Whales Allwin

Post by coin-op »

bill wrote:the high bidder did not pay me (well he gave me a drink).
Now I know this is nothing out of the ordinary on ebay not to pay... but you would think a fellow collector would pay, especially when he had just sold his own machine on ebay for £4600. Anyway, I won't mention any names.
Interesting, a couple of years ago I had a guy renege on a deal... but I won't name names either ;-)
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

We all understand ......... 'tis only fair and gentleman like ................ etc. etc. etc. ...... go on spill the dirt ........ go on spill the dirt!!!! .................... we won't tell a sole !!YIPPEE!!
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Won't tell a sole but 'twill be a heel....
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

Ah, thank heavens for the righteous, for they shall preach :didact:
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

bill wrote:It was my machine that made £797... well it may have made that, but the high bidder did not pay me (well he gave me a drink).
I would want more than one drink, at least a decent bottle of scotch, given the ebay charges..... !!CHEERS!!
!!CHEERS!! !!CHEERS!!
I have only reneged on a deal once, when I bought a trailer off a feller who described it as good condition and looked real good as usual in the pictures..... when I turned up, it was older than expected and had recently been painted bright blue, looked pretty rough with worn cross members and old tyres.... Being a person who seems to accept these sorts of things I handed over the readies and drove off..... Got about two miles down the road and felt the car sway a little... I looked in my rear view mirror and saw the trailer swinging left to right over and over... I had another 40 miles to go and did not want to risk going on the dual carriageway, so checked it out. On closer examination, I noticed one of the angled A frame supports was completely buckled and broken - essentially dangerous even without a load.

I wondered what to do and even considered dumping it at the nearest tip... In the end I had the guts to contact the seller (who was a very large builder) and initially got the "you bought it and saw it - too late" type stuff. I then tried the "if you were in my position what would you..." type trick and he agreed to have a look. On examination he initially said it was OK before I had left, but the rust in the break could not be denied and I managed to persuade him to give me money back. I gave him the ebay fees (which really I should not have done) and felt very pleased with myself... I do wonder why a customer through ebay should be the one feeling guilty as the trust of the seller is so much relied upon. I suspect if there is a genuine reason, e.g. misinterpretation or mistake by the seller, it should be perfectly reasonable.

There are many machines I should have walked away from, but there are many I have also bought from people who have had trouble from others who have walked away, even though it was a nice machine and I got what I thought was a bargain. :didact:
alan57

Oliver Whales allwin?

Post by alan57 »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

This allwin recently appeared on Ebay without being sold. Was the machine an Oliver Whales airplane version?
Attachments
1d-aeroplane.jpg
treefrog

Re: Oliver Whales allwin?

Post by treefrog »

Looks like it.....

Target For To-Night
Attachments
F5EB9261-16CE-4227-AB64-EC3B1BCC14C7.jpeg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Oliver Whales Target For To-Night allwin

Post by pennymachines »

This latest example which went unsold with a Buy-It-Now of £900 reflects Gameswat's comments about auction prices. The example Bryans Fan posted, which sold for £1350 at Carter's auction, 19th November 2000, was considered a new high for a Whales allwin, purchased, I believe, by the Whales family. Then the example which started this thread made £4,600+ on eBay on 15th August 2010, only to be resold for £1000 at Peter Wilson's on 18th July 2019. Granted this latest one doesn't have a topflash, but we now have three examples, and I would guess there are more.

Target For To-Night was an acclaimed British documentary film made in 1941 to recruit fighter pilots. According to the director, most of the flight officers and crew who appeared in the film did not survive the war.
Attachments
Target_for_Tonight-poster.jpg
paul

Re: Oliver Whales Target For To-Night allwin

Post by paul »

HI ALL,
Here is a picture of my TARGET FOR TONIGHT, also a VICTORY CUPS with top pediment.
Attachments
DSCF1637.JPG
DSCF1636.JPG