Coventry Auction November 2019

Discuss our on-site auctions and other slot machine auctions.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Coventry Auction November 2019

Post by badpenny »

To announce that this Winter JC and I will not be holding our traditional slot auction.

A combination of several factors has led us to this decision. This does not mean it is the end of The Coventry Bun Fight, far from it.
We are currently in discussion with the owner of a very large collection who wishes to dispose of very rare penny machines totally fresh to market.

By doing this we can ensure its availability in total and market it all with accuracy and confidence.
Details next year, watch this space.

BP :cool:
scorpa163

Re: Coventry Auction November 2019

Post by scorpa163 »

It is a pity the November auction will not take place as we all look forward to meeting other slotties and I usually sell or buy a machine ( although the wife was not happy about the steeraball I bought last auction ).
Will we be able to sell at this next auction planned for next year?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Oh yes you will!

In fact it'll be an excellent auction to sell at due to the draw created by the collection we'll be selling.

treefrog

Post by treefrog »

That’s a real shame, no doubt the clashing with EH a major contributor, also contributions from collectors to participate, which I am guessing gets tougher and tougher.

Personally I prefer auctions to fixed prices sales. People have bizarre ideas on the value of their machines and wonder why they don’t sell. Most auctions I set low reserves on my machines, all part of the gamble in my opinion.

Hopefully you will be back for the benefit of all |/XX\|
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

We shall TF …
We are currently in discussion with the owner of a very large collection who wishes to dispose of very rare penny machines totally fresh to market.

By doing this we can ensure its availability in total and market it all with accuracy and confidence.
Details next year, watch this space.

special when lit

Post by special when lit »

treefrog wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:26 pm Personally I prefer auctions to fixed prices sales. People have bizarre ideas on the value of their machines and wonder why they don’t sell.
Browsing Ebay & F/B lately, I can totally get where you're coming from!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Ebay is a meat market, FB also is useful for those who want to hide or play on those who feel intimidated at auctions or are perhaps a bit shy.
No problem with that, we're all different.

Auctions allow items to find their own price, often an education in itself! The other thing I like about auctions is everything you see could actually end up being yours, all you have to do is be the last man standing. Sadly the auctioneers can be a tad naughty and lacking in scruples or conscience in the way they operate their business, (happily we are not all like that) nuff said!

An open sale allows the same examination of the goods, no commission to the buyer, and the chance to negotiate. If the offer is refused it's not personal, merely a business decision. At a sale there is the time to ask questions and be advised, sharing of knowledge etc.

They're too dissimilar to compare really, I see merits and issues with them all.
I've bought off eBay, only to travel miles and find it's not as described or judicious camera angles have been employed.
And as someone who has been organising Auctions and Collectors' Days for 20 years (who remembers The Fox Inn?) I have endlessly experienced the frustration of promised entries that don't materialise on the day.
Hence my grateful thanks to those enthusiastic stalwarts whom have always done their utmost to support or just be there.

BP !!THUMBSX2!!
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

Not one to be negative but isn't it the same as having a spring auction and winter one? Like that it has been done in the past. I presume it wouldn't be till spring. Anyway you must have your reasons... !PUZZLED!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

jimmycowman wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:41 pm Not one to be negative but isn't it the same as having a spring auction and winter one? Like that it has been done in the past. I presume it wouldn't be till spring. Anyway you must have your reasons... !PUZZLED!
Sorry jimmycowman I don't understand your question.
Isn't what the same as having a spring auction and winter one?

jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

I was just wondering why the November auction was not on. You've had 2 auctions before in one year and the next one sounds well in to next year.I appreciate the time taken to prepare for auctions. Sorry for being a quizzling
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

There can be many reasons for us not devoting our time to doing the November auction.
It would only take one of us to have a family commitment, a health issue, boredom or a lottery win to effect what we do.

We're not missing a year as we have already had one auction this year.
It's ok to quiz, I guess the biggest thing about such events not always obvious to everyone is the wishes of the vendor(s).

It's the vendor who will dictate when we sell their collection for them, not us.
The decision not to do November this year is one thing.
Next year's disposal sale is an entirely different one.

moonriver

Post by moonriver »

clear as mud
jimmycowman

Post by jimmycowman »

Lottery win!!! 😎 I knew it!!!!! 😎 😁 😁 😁 Lol
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I strongly suggest Moonriver never enters the diplomatic corps.
The clues in the first paragraph that one of us is experiencing a very personal crisis were there.
Sadly it's not the lottery win.
Nor would boredom entice me to be so rude as to traipse all over another person's private life.

Discussion ended.
There will be no Coventry Auction this November.
There will be a large disposal auction in 2020 when the vendor feels happy with the arrangements.

moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Obviously I'm very sorry to hear of a personal crisis. Now we know, I feel bad for passing comment as I'm sure does Jimmycowman.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Hey no sweat, business is business, and slots are important!
I just need the two facts …
No second auction this year.
Biggy next year.
To be taken at face value. The fact we can banter between us is good.