Ruffler & Walker Helicopter Race

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
treefrog

Ruffler & Walker Helicopter Race

Post by treefrog »

As posted by JC, the pictures from the Bygones Vintage Arcade under the MMM section, I noticed the Helicopter game in the background, there is a Ruffler and Walker Helicopter Race machine on ebay at the moment, unfortunately in the States ....serious $$ though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/rare-Ruffler-Walker ... 0764689048
Attachments
helicopter.jpg
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Re: Helicopter Race

Post by coin-op »

They are great machines. A friend offered me one of these many years ago, but foolishly thinking that there was a point when you had too much stuff, I turned it down. Anyway, it then got sold on and I helped him to deliver it. We stood it up in a car park (much like the day in the picture you posted) and I looked at it and thought ' I made a mistake there!'. Strangely enough, I have almost a complete mechanism for one of these (as you do)...and it's getting nearer and nearer the 'must do' point....so just wait for 2016 to hit us. :#:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I understand the helicopter rotors are turned by an electric fan concealed beneath the "sea" but I can't see anything resembling this in the pictures. !PUZZLED! Is it hidden beneath that bit of hardboard skirting?
Attachments
HeliMech.JPG
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

I noticed in the ad there were only 4 examples in the States. That's probably more than are left over here.
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

PennyMachines wrote:I understand the helicopter rotors are turned by an electric fan concealed beneath the "sea" but I can't see anything resembling this in the pictures. !PUZZLED! Is it hidden beneath that bit of hardboard skirting?
I've always wondered if motors were supplied originally with the machines or whether it's just an operator add-on that has created an urban myth. Certainly the mechanism I have, whilst incomplete, neither has any such device nor signs of one having ever been attached (no obvious drill holes, brackets etc). Also, once the helicopters leave their rest position, unless you had a force nine gale in there, the blades would cease to rotate as the helicopters move upwards and away from any motor. The machine featured in the Dome exhibition had a modern fan in it, but don't know whether that was an add-on or a replacement of something which was in there already. Certainly when in use, the blades ceased to rotate as the helicopters moved upwards. I believe that the motor would need to be sited under the sea and under the helicopters. I'd personally think that a small motor might be needed under each helicopter in order to provide a focused updraft.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Coin-op wrote:Certainly when in use, the blades ceased to rotate as the helicopters moved upwards.
Hmmn... See what you mean.

Video replaced 13/09/19 - Site Admin.

One of these sold in a local auction house in my early days of collecting. I seem to recall it made £800 which seemed a lot at the time. I didn't even leave a bid, having not been overly impressed by the game's aesthetics (in particular, the painted hardboard), rather basic play appeal and mammoth scale. Must say, the examples above look better than I recall or maybe I'm less fussy these days. Floor space, however, has become more of an issue...
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Not sure if anyone owns a R&W Helicopter Race, but have been working on one having got the mechanism fully functioning including converting back to old penny I hoped someone may know the electrical side.

77A7C669-C45A-48F4-BCA2-C6559E655BDF.jpeg

Obviously there are two lights in gallery lighting up top marque. There is also a build behind the lighthouse I assume lights when a winner gets to the top, it has an inline flasher (blue arrow) unit so must flash. What I have yet to work out is what triggers this. There are also two bulb positions on the left and right hand side (green arrow) which link to the metallic strips (ref arrow) that must make contact with the helicopter lifter on reaching the top. Any idea where this should connect to.

3446A9EB-815E-4F43-9317-582A5C8A4575.jpeg

I suspect this machine use to have a fan with the mount on top of mechanism. There are some wires heading towards this, which seem to go via an external switch on the rear. I can only assume the fan was permanently on as I cannot see any control of this.

D65CFE21-8D69-455F-8833-C47C4B8A9CFF.jpeg

Everything also seems to be 240v more worrying including all small bulbs. Maybe I have missed something as the contact from the helicopter cannot be, otherwise user would get a hell of a shock....

Still working on cabinet, but hope to have lights and a fan working to complete....

Much appreciated..
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Tree, wouldn't the lighthouse always flash as an attention getter? And the contact blocks for the copters either side would light either one of the two missing bulbs you mentions? I can only assume they would light up the winning side of the background depending on who won? :!?!:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

The video seems to have disappeared from this thread so I've added it again, and, on this one at least, the lighthouse seems to be permanently lit (but not flashing). What's your view on the rotating blades GS and TF? Clearly the job of the fan but clearly the fan did not run all the time or even for the duration of the game? Unless the fan was mounted at the bottom, under the helicopters, then the loss of rotation makes sense.

treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Ah yes the video confirms the lighthouse is on all the time and is how mine is wired. Looks like the flasher is not working on the one in the video. Also it looks like the fans kick in as soon as the plunger is engaged and maybe runs until the first helicopter hits the contacts at the top. Next challenge to understand the cabling, especially as all 240v. I wonder if it was one or two fans, probably does not need huge power as the rotors sit on pins freely moving in the helicopter, looking at the mount holes, maybe one larger fan.

As per my picture the fans would be mounted under the sea on the frame still on mine.

Does anyone know where another one is I may be able to get some pictures of? !PUZZLED!
mr merrivale

Post by mr merrivale »

I wonder if any one can help me with my Ruffler and Walker racer.
I need to replace the two helicopters with originals which I believe are Airfix kits.
I have originals in my other racer but no info on them.
Any help and info please.
Thanks
brigham

Post by brigham »

Looks like a Westland Dragonfly.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Based on the Sikorsky. What is odd is that they have sea floats. Never found pictures of these except a prototype. If they were Airfix models, I assume they would need to be weighted to help the drop. My ones are wooden, so I assume were replacements, but perhaps you could confirm what ones you have that you believe are wrong. It would be interesting to see if they're the same.
mr merrivale

Post by mr merrivale »

Hi Tom
The wooden ones are wrong. I have one with the plastic ones the same as many others and my other one has replacement wooden ones but I found the remains of a plastic one in the machine.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Would be good to see a piccie of the wooden replacement to see if the same as mine. Also, do your machines have working lights and fan, as I'm trying to confirm these elements, especially how the fan is triggered and stopped? Also voltage as well. Much appreciated

I could not see Airfix models for this chopper, so not sure if it stopped a long time ago or was custom made.
brigham

Post by brigham »

AMP models do one in 1:48 scale.
It might be too large.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

IF it was an Airfix kit, then it has to be this one, as it's the only one that fits the date, but the one in the video at least is not this helicopter.
Attachments
Type 1 Westland Whirlwind S55 (big).jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

No, definitely Sikorsky H5 or Westland Dragonfly, the same appearance-wise, but Airfix catalogues started in 1962 and the first ever plastic model was mid '50s. Their range did not expand till the '60s and I cannot find this item from that time, as this chopper dates from 1949 to 1951. I would be staggered they would use something as fragile as an Airfix type model, but then again it would explain why some were replaced. As I say, I would expect some weight in them as well, to help the drop after win. These have springs to act as dampers for the drop. They would have to have been movies if models anyway, to support the rotating rotor which needs to be free running. Mine are all metal...
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

well I did find this,and there are points in its favour as it would be quite robust if built correctly its the right size,and would take a weight inside,but its not perfect
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-72nd-SCALE ... 3575274553
mr merrivale

Post by mr merrivale »

Hi guys
These are the original plastic helicopters.
The switch is for the 240v fan, but neither of my machines has a fan in any more.
The light house lamp is wired to be on all the time, but they did but a flasher unit in the lamp fitting then put the lamp in.
The low voltage lights work off a small transformer, like a door bell chime transformer.
The next photo to come is of the wooden helicopters but will have to take it when at my Yarmouth arcade.
Always welcome to take calls: 07763 802439
Attachments
helicopters-a.jpg
helicoters-motor-switch-a.jpg