Oliver Whales floor-standing & counter-top 3D stereoviewers

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Oliver Whales floor-standing & counter-top 3D stereoviewers

Post by coin-op »

I'm wondering if anyone has one of these. I'm wondering what the top backboard is supposed to look like and what pictures/graphics it contains. My thoughts are that the back board on the table version would have looked too stubby on a floor model. Mine does have a back board which seems 50s, but I'm not clear if it's original.
grabber

Re: Oliver Whales floor standing 3D stereoviewer

Post by grabber »

Hello,
Can you post a picture as I might have what you need. Is this the Eve machine?
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

Well, camera charged, pic here, but I know this backflash isn't the same as the table model. Incidentally, the white lines shown in the backboard part of the photo is from the pleated glass in the frame. Also, the pic in it is a photocopy of some artwork I had; it's not original.
Attachments
IMG_4029.JPG
grabber

Post by grabber »

Hello,
I had a look in John Carter's book, page 31, the counter top-model. I have the artwork for the lifelike presentations but not the 'Eve at her Best', sorry. Hope somebody else can help you.
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

Hi Dower, thanks for looking. I've seen few of the table models, but as I said, never seen another floor version, so I'm guessing they didn't make too many of these. It may even have been made for a specific order. So it would be interesting if anyone can confirm the existence of further examples of this floor standing version.
treefrog

Oliver Whales viewer

Post by treefrog »

Topic merged - site admin.
Anyone see the Oliver Whales viewer at auction last week? Did bid, but finished on £620 + 20% commission.
One sold in 2002 at Christies for £646 and the same machine again sold in another auction for £1000 a year later....
The one below was identical, but not the same and the finish looked good. How common are these machines?
Attachments
OW-viewer.jpg
treefrog

Re: Oliver Whales viewer

Post by treefrog »

Now that is spooky, no less than 15mins after I posted this, Coin Op has stuck a very similar machine on Ebay, that is weird. :shock:

Well Coin Op, in your description you mention you had not seen another in auctions before and I have to mess that all up :oops:

Nice looking machine !!THUMBSX2!!

1950s OLIVER WHALES 3D VIEWER COIN OPERATED SLOT MACHINE
Attachments
OW-viewer2.jpg
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

Just to make it clear, the coin op on ebay is not me, it's someone else with that ebay user name. Also, just as an aside, if you look back through the postings, somewhere I placed a picture of a floor standing version of this machine. (topic now merged above - site admin.)
brook222

Oliver Whales stereo viewer identified

Post by brook222 »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Can anyone help with identifying this machine and giving me an idea of current value? Many thanks.
Attachments
WTBS.jpg
gameswat

Re: What Butler Saw - Can you identify please

Post by gameswat »

Hi brook, no idea on the maker and can't see much in your one small photo anyway. You haven't given us anywhere near enough information to work from sadly. So I'd suggest for others to identify properly and value you should post closeups or larger size images and interior mech photos. And the more info you offer the better such as.......... does the machine work? Has it been eaten by woodworm? Are there any parts you believe to be replacements? Does it run on clockwork with just electric lighting, or does it run with an electric motor? Clockwork being much more desirable and possibly original, and older. Are the stereo cards in the machine, how many, are they repros or original, are they in good or poor cond. and are they exciting or boring images? These should be nude or semi nude models so the more attractive/artistic or famous the better and can make a huge difference to value. Also how good or bad the three dimensional quality of the images is, as not every photographer knew how to compose three dimensional shots. Has the machine ever been restored by anyone or does it just appear nicely aged? I could go on but I'm sure you get the idea. The photo doesn't enlarge very much so hard to see any details, but on the negative side looks like the marquee wood frame is a just molding someone used to replace the original marquee. And the artwork in the marquee and machine front are both poorly made replacements.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Looks like an Oliver Whales viewer to me, with replacement topflash....

See link below on more info, seen a few of these come up at auction for £600+.....already seen this at the auction.

Link now merged above - Site Admin.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

I'm with treefrog on this one, it does look like an OW to me :D
This is the inside view of an OW viewer,
Attachments
33.jpg
jonesthegarage

Post by jonesthegarage »

This is the link to auctioneer's catalogue page (auction date 13th and 14th November):
http://www.gerrardsauctionrooms.com/Bid ... otRef=1083

And you can use your zoom for a closer view but my money is on the top being a new and very poor replacement and if the front flash is anything to go by, any restoration or replacement to the interior is likely to be poor too.

It is local to me but I've not bothered going to the viewing as beyond the bottom case it looks like something someone knocked up a shed. It's in the eye of the beholder of course so I am ready to be shocked/horrified.
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Nice bit of detective work Mr Blackpool, and that will be why "brook222" can't show us what it looks like inside :!?!:
Which is a bit of a shame......... :oops:
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

treefrog wrote:Topic merged - site admin.
Anyone see the Oliver Whales viewer at auction last week? ... How common are these machines?
Hi treefrog,

I've seen a dozen or so since I began collecting machines about 30 years ago so not uncommon and prices in the '90s I seem to remember were around the £400 mark. If I remember correctly, a fraction more than a good Oliver Whales allwin. My how prices have risen! !OMFG!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Oliver Whales floor-standing & counter-top 3D stereoview

Post by pennymachines »

This Stereoviewer, earlier than the Whales machines, and clockwork, only made £190 at the Elephant House recently.
Attachments
296.jpg
cheeky

Post by cheeky »

It's all most peculiar. !PUZZLED!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Cheeky, think you are mixing up a thread that has been merged a few times.....one of the issues, people think it is a single thread.

The recent machine at auction on ebay made £230. Maybe the insides were missing. I also note one sold at Coventry auction a few years ago for similar money, so big variance in pricing... I like them, but would prefer a Mutoscope....
atticbrowser

Whales stereo viewer coin mech advice

Post by atticbrowser »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

After the interesting discussion we had a few months ago about coin-op stereo viewers I’ve been prompted to get my coin op viewers out of the various cupboards and guest bedrooms where they have been languishing. I’ve resolved to get at least a couple of them tidied up and working properly. I’ve started with this Whales viewer which I suspect will be well known in this community. Good news is the motor and light are working. A previous owner had installed a new motor and grounded the electrics. What isn’t working is the coin operation. The levers that seem implicated in switching the motor and light on and off are complete but out of order. There is a spring hanging loose and I can’t see where to attach it. There is a horizontal lever that looks as if it should be moved by the impact of a falling penny but I can’t work out where it should be positioned. I’d greatly value any advice or some photos of a working mechanism I can look at. Although this is the Whales machine I wonder, from a couple of brief pictures I’ve see if the mech inside a Peerless viewer is very similar. Thank you as always for any help.

bryans fan

Re: Whales stereo viewer coin mech advice

Post by bryans fan »

Hi
I sent you a PM on the 5th May. I don't think you have seen it, as it's still in my outbox.