Brenner "Ball Past The Arrow"

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
gameswat

Re: Brenner "Ball Past The Arrow"

Post by gameswat »

Does anybody have the original cashbox they could photograph please?
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

Here you go, locked in place with a removable bar that sits in a notch on the right and padlocks on the left. Let me know if you need dimensions etc. and I'll measure it accurately for you.
Attachments
IMG_4725.JPG
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Thanks Moon. But on looking at my two machines neither show any signs of the locking bracket ever being installed. I can only assume they changed the design after your machine, or possibly your machine was upgraded with the bracketry by an operator?

Some rudimentary measurements and photos of the cashbox would be very useful thank you.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

In case you still need it (or anyone else). No locking bar on mine.
Attachments
BPA-Cashbox-Top.jpg
BPA-Cashbox-Side.jpg
BPA-Cashbox-Front.jpg
BPA-Cashbox-Back1.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Awesome PM, thank you!
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Just pattern making the cashbox and I need some clarification with your measurements please PM. On the side plan you state 11 & 1/4" height total, but on the back plan you then claim 11 & 3/4" height total!? Should I just use the average then? :o !PUZZLED! :!?!: :burp: !!JUNK!! :smash: :dammit: '!' dirtdog
Amazingly there are not really any wear marks on the wood back or side on either of my machines to show this height. One has a hole cut in the cashbox floor so it was mounted to stand for much of it's life I'm sure.

And the front plan shows a height of 10 & 1/2", but is this taken vertically or measured on the angle that the front is at? So what would that measurement be as shown on the side view please?

Cheers, games !!CHEERS!!
junior

Post by junior »

My machine has number 25 stamped on bottom of door. It has a token payout built inside. What year would this machine have been built? Thanks.
Attachments
side-image.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

The numbers have no meaning without factory records. It's the mech style and artwork that will possibly give a ballpark date. If you look back through this thread I gave some dating info, and PM gave info about at least 4 different models on anther thread I think.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

gameswat wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:50 am Just pattern making the cashbox and I need some clarification with your measurements please PM...
Sorry Gameswat - doesn't make sense does it? Unfortunately I'm out of the country for a couple of weeks. Maybe someone can come to the rescue. I'm pretty sure the 10 & 1/2" is measured on the angle, not the vertical.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Thank PM. I've sat down and crunched the numbers some more and figured it out. I thought to measure the brass coin overflow hopper mounted to the mech that sits just over the coin box when the door is shut, and it's just on 10 & 1/2" from the floor. So that would make sense that your 12 & 1/2" measurement was taken at an angle as makes the vertical height slightly less, and my mock-up in cardboard just fits under the brass hopper nicely. And then that has to make the full height 11 & 3/4" to match your photo. !THUMBS!
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Cashbox #1 done and fitted, and a bloody tight squeeze at that! I don't have a spot welder so I soldered the pieces together instead. Both my cases had a single screw hole in the similar place to the hole in your box PM, so just a small screw keeping it from moving around.
Attachments
ball past cashbox 2.JPG
ball past cashbox.JPG
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

!!GOODJOB!!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Well, I remeasured and the correct height was 11 1/4", not 11 3/4", which means yours is 1/2" higher at the back. Sorry again. My image has been edited to reflect this. I guess you could trim, fold and repaint that edge, not that anyone else would notice the difference. Love those authentic-looking dinks on the front. :D
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Silly me for thinking that machine was finished............. :tut
pennymachines wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:13 pm Love those authentic-looking dinks on the front.
Recycled metal PM, which not only saves me a fortune but does usually come with built in character like this!
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

OK - this better not have been an elaborate prank you pulled PM, as cashbox now cut down to 11.25"!?
Attachments
ball past #2 cashbox 11.25.JPG
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

I'd forgotten about this, but notice the serial number "No 244" stamped into the top left hand corner of this circa 1937 early model Ball Past the Arrow back flash.
Attachments
brenner flash serial number.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

So this is the same machine that started the thread, formerly owned by John Peterson in the USA, and finally restored in Australia. Lot of work but what a great game, my favourite allwin. I experimented to replicate the thin playfield plastic film they used and found that having the paper print cold laminated, which is only one sided, gave me the thinness I required. I hand cut airbrushing masking film over the words that needed to be gold and sprayed that on top of the laminated plastic. This worked very well as no issue lifting up the paper when removing the masking film. There was still some slight orange peel I didn't like to the laminate so then about 4 or 5 clear coats of lacquer went on with #0000 steel wool rubbing between coats, and this added some slight imperfections too which make it seem old and not new. So as original the artwork is very slightly buckled, and not nearly as thick and smooth as some of the other makers used. Now could someone please inform John that he needs to fly on over and pick this up in person quickly as the storage fees are really adding up!!
Attachments
ballpast#2.jpg
ball past 2.5_1.JPG
ball past 2.7_1.JPG
ball past 2.6_1.JPG
ball past 2.9.jpg
Last edited by gameswat on Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
bryans fan

Post by bryans fan »

!!GOODJOB!! !WORSHIPFULL!
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Lovely job! I was told some of these were illuminated from inside the case, the three lightly covered holes would seem to back this up otherwise why make them like that? What is your view?
I just checked the serial number on mine, in the same place...... 375.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

coppinpr wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:29 pm I was told some of these were illuminated from inside the case...
They were, but I don't know if it was factory fitted as standard. Mine had a bracket fixed inside the ply back to which I attached a bulb holder. It lights up nicely.

Fantastic job GW!
Love what you've done with the backflash. This 'starred' flash is less confusing than the numbered versions in my opinion.
gameswat wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:06 amNow could someone please inform John that he needs to fly on over and pick this up in person quickly as the storage fees are really adding up!!
Watch John doesn't charge you for playing his game in the meantime. It's quite addictive.