Bollands / B.M.CO The Lifeline

Show us what you found. Make us jealous!
paul

Bollands / B.M.CO The Lifeline

Post by paul »

A machine from my collection. Had this a few years. I guess it dates from the 1920s. Apart from waxing the cabinet, nothing else done to it. This is a coin/flick machine. I don't think many have survived due to the painted glass.
Attachments
DSCF1652a.jpg
DSCF1651a.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Bollands / B.M.CO The Lifeline

Post by pennymachines »

Really nice to see one in such original condition. I guess it once had a large marquee with the name of the game on top. I've put it in the Museum under your name Paul.

Ex Jon Gresham's collection
Ex Jon Gresham's collection

How does the Reserve work? Is there some kind of coin reservoir inside (in which case it's not simply coin return)? Surely the brass payout casting is only designed to hold a single coin.

Some similar BMCo. games. The Climbing the Alps was in the Coventry Sale a few years ago but unfortunately it's a lousy image because I failed to focus my camera. !!PHOTO!! Anyone got a better shot of it?
Attachments
Dodge-Em
Dodge-Em
Miniature Cricket
Miniature Cricket
Climbing the Alps
Climbing the Alps
paul

Post by paul »

Re the Lifeline, the reserve feature on this machine is as follows: a clip is either side of the lighthouse; this holds a penny -- all other pennies go into the cashbox. When a coin goes into the win (at the top of the lighthouse) it pays out all the coins i.e. 1 , 2 or 3. The payout cup is just a bit bigger than a normal B.M.Co. payout, so the coins come out really easy. It must have been a great money-taker in its day.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Very cool. I've updated the description in the Museum to reflect your comments. Are the coin-retaining clips visible from inside the cabinet, or hidden behind the scenery?
paul

Post by paul »

RE lifeline, the clips are hidden behind the scenery. Besides the painted glass there is also the painted backboard. The clips are the backboard scenery - all very clever. Has anyone else got this machine? I was told years ago that J Gresham had one, but the glass was broken in transit to the States - a very reliable ex-collector told me this story.
magikkk

Post by magikkk »

Wow. So each backdrop on The Lifeline is individually painted, making each one, one of a kind?
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Lovely machine !THUMBS!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

magikkk wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:19 pm Wow. So each backdrop on The Lifeline is individually painted, making each one, one of a kind?
That's what makes some of these early games so appealing.
Attachments
Colour picture of ex-Gresham Lifeline
Colour picture of ex-Gresham Lifeline